Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OT Dewback will not look good as a collectible. Unlike other props, models, ships it was meant to be seen for just a few seconds and not more. The details will not translate well in the 1/6 scale or any other scale. In this particular case, idealization is a must. And the OT rough version combined with Mando one was the best choice to get an approximate OT Dewback.
I will post some pics (maybe here) of my 1/6 design tweak of the screen-used Dewback prop once it's painted. As with all things SW, the screen-used prop/design to me remains the gold standard, even in context of decent reinterpretations for collectibles. As I mentioned before, the 1976 Pearl Dewback creation just needs tweaks to make up for production issues.

I love the rhino feet/legs/torso, the protruding abdominal ribs, the long thinner tail with the prominent creases - these are non-negotiable to me, and don't like the 1997 CGI creation in design or execution (the CGI is poor in both movement and resolution, even the rider looking bad.)

For mine all I've done is fixed the leg proportions (partly to fix the prop's latex not adhering to the wooden structure,) made the scale pattern more uniform (Pearl's head scale pattern used to meld fine-scale iguana tail to the no-scales rhino body) and up-sized the creature to larger SE Dewback size (because it's clear in both the way it was filmed/photographed in 1976 and the 1997 SE Dewback size that the hope was to make the Dewback about 20% larger than the rhino body prop allowed.)

My 1/6 1976 Pearl Dewback will be displayed with Pearl's Art Models Ltd sign as nameplate with screen accurate Look Sir Droids trooper as rider along with a 1/6 production slate for the March 1976 Dewback shoot.

I'm more interested in this HT Mando Dewback for a Mando-as-rider display, with that beautiful Mando production art painting as nameplate. It's a very SW look that brings to mind both ANH and the Holiday Special Fett riding a beast, and S1 Mando to me has still come the closest to matching the quality/feel OT for me, even more so than RO.

There are several more creatures that never had a complete build, like that sparkly eyed alien that pops up in front of the camera at the cantina. It was just a head with a torchlight jammed into its neck.
Was there never an "official" figure established for sparkle-eyes? He's so iconic,
I'm sure they ruined him with a hypothetical body?
7tfrdw.gif

7tfs8a.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, wasn't expecting him to have shoulders, or be some bad ass bandoliered gunslinger, but not bad. :lol

Was there never an "official" figure established for sparkle-eyes? He's so iconic,
I'm sure they ruined him with a hypothetical body?
7tfrdw.gif

7tfs8a.jpg
I would seriously buy every one of those aliens if Sideshow ever got back into making the 1/6 figures they were best at. Their Greedo and Hammerhead are still excellent figures to this day.

There was a period here about 10 years ago where everyone was making Cantina aliens in 1/6th. Dorgmal Snow and several others were making heads and hands and more.

I have a Hem Dazon 1/6th head for some reason. And several unfinished aliens from that time: Nabrun Leids, Mosep Bineed and a Weequay.

Anyone have the original Star Wars novel that has the colour page inserts from scenes of the film?
I used one of those as my inspiration for this pic.
I was about 5 when I first laid eyes on it.

View attachment 651284
I have that exact same novel. Such an amazing shot. I used to spend hours looking at those few film still photos. We are so spoilt with the internet these days !

I can still get work done like this right?

View attachment 651539

I remember watching a clip once of one of Conan's, you know the late night host - one of his producers took Conan and a cameraman on a tour of the producers' office.

He swings open the office door: "heres all the stuff my wife wont let me keep at the house!!" And it was so thick with stuff you almost could not get to his desk. None of it was anything that interested me, but I felt bad for him. Both for that level of obsession, and for having a killjoy wife.

I remember watching a clip once of one of Conan's, you know the late night host - one of his producers took Conan and a cameraman on a tour of the producers' office.

He swings open the office door: "heres all the stuff my wife wont let me keep at the house!!" And it was so thick with stuff you almost could not get to his desk. None of it was anything that interested me, but I felt bad for him. Both for that level of obsession, and for having a killjoy wife.
That is sad indeed. I count myself very lucky that my girlfriend is very accepting of my hobby.

I'm really happy for those that missed out on the SSC back in the day as it's such an iconic creature.

This pic will always be the definitive Dewback for me:

And so for that reason, I'm happy I was able to grab the SSC. The open mouth on the HT looks odd.

Back