Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to roughly match the trooper sizes and pic angle to do a side-by-side comparison with the SSC.

dews.png

Tried to roughly match the trooper sizes and pic angle to do a side-by-side comparison with the SSC.

dews.png

That HT looks too tiny, your scale is off.

Here, see...

scale off.jpg

Trooper is too small. So let's correct that and upscale the HT Dewback...

Looks a bit better sized here...

scaled better.jpg

SS still looks better, larger... with the better head.

I wonder if this is like HT's Alien, and we can glue the mouth shut to look more correct?

I just matched the two trooper helmets as closely as possible though obviously one is Marmit, the other HT.

They are sitting differently - the HT helmet is posed downward and legs raised more with torso leaning toward us, making the HT trooper appear a bit shorter/smaller than he really is, versus the Marmit's sitting up straight, straighter legs pose.

The size of the boots, length of upper arms, hands and the helmets seem pretty close to me in this match-up.

This is the two troopers from my original comp match-up placed side-by-side. Doesn't seem all that far off, maybe slightly.

hels.png

Last edited:
461426-scaled-better.jpg

Thanks for the comparisons guys !!

SS head and proportions still looks somehow more proportioned. But the HT paint is a lot more detailed. HT probably has some artistic licence there I imagine, but side by side the SS paint does look somewhat bland. Perhaps that's also just the lighting ???

Either way I'll still get the HT "if" they release it.

#releasethedewback !!!

Last edited:
Anyway, the more I get away from the excitement of seeing this, the more I analyze it, the more I feel like this isn't for me.

Mando leftovers. Bah!
If anybody from HT is reading these threads, Wor-Gar is joking of course and will order 2 the moment this goes up for pre-order, which will surely be any day now.

Looks like his little brother is seated in front.
The point is the HT Dewback looks like a little brother to the SSC Dewback, and not just in overall size, but in the strange distortion where the head looks too small for the body. It looks like a kid/teen Dewback or something.

The HT head looks to be maybe 30% smaller than the SSC head even though the overall creature is only maybe 15% smaller than the SSC overall (hard to quantify because the body proportions are different.)

And in the closer hi-res pics it doesn't look like the HT mouth can be closed, so you are stuck with that goofy horse teeth mouth that looks almost comical. About the only SW thing that meth-teeth mouth brings to mind is the old Hasbro POTF2 SE Dewback.

Add in that weird Joker-green fur toupee on top of the HT Dewback head and it has this weird grinning hillbilly look.

Last edited:
If this does end up as a PO I'll buy this, but as my first Mando display piece. Will have to grab a Mando figure as rider - I don't have any Mando fig so far. I did love that image of Mando on the Dewback (though it is from one of the lesser S1 eps) and I really loved about half of S1.

It's sad that a golden opportunity for an iconic OT creature has been squandered due an abandoned/re-used Mando sculpt. Worse than the re-use of the Mando speeder bike as ROTJ bike because at least there they fixed most (definitely not all - maybe 2/3) of the Mando inaccuracies.

Mando has emerged as a real problem for OT collectors. You have these (sometimes fan made) versions of OT costumes/weapons/creatures/vehicles that pop up in Mando eps that are close to, but somewhat inaccurate for, the OT version and next thing you've got OT collectibles that use the Mando sculpts.

This Dewback looks like it will top the HT Tusken on the mutant OT sculpt abomination ranking.

Wow guys, in the OG Star Wars you only see the first Dewback on a ridge way off in the distance, and the second one is only seen briefly from the front. Just about anything in the ballpark design-wise would qualify as an “iconic OT” Dewback. And what’s the hang up with the partially open mouth? After all, a Dewback’s gotta eat lol.

Wow guys, in the OG Star Wars you only see the first Dewback on a ridge way off in the distance, and the second one is only seen briefly from the front. Just about anything in the ballpark design-wise would qualify as an “iconic OT” Dewback. And what’s the hang up with the partially open mouth? After all, a Dewback’s gotta eat lol.
Gator says no hang ups and all's lookin sweet.
gator.png

Back