Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ain't BS if ur being sold a product that deteriorates without warning. A BS lawsuit is someone who trips off their own shoelace at the store, and takes the store owner to court...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question about some figures that I own. I have heard that everyone is raving over the 303 aerospace protectant. Is this stuff really good use for my Hot toys figures? How often should I put this on my figure. Are the wipes or spray good?

Rubber figures I own

Takara Batman'
Hot Toys Batman DX12
Hot Toy DX Keton Batman
Hot Toys Bruce Wayne Armory Batman

Is there a way to see which part of your figure is made of rubber and which is just soft plastic?

Easiest method is 1)touch - HT rubber is very soft and pliable 2) seamless joints or rubber outer-suits

If you're in doubt tell us what figures you have that are causing you concern.

Soo reading through a load of this thread until I hit a troll incident I think beyond the hands/pants Iron Man wise I think I've mostly managed to avoid the worst offenders here.

So the arc reactor Tony Stark bodies, and Royce single jointed bodies are OK-ish because they're plasticised vinyl with exposed joints rather than out and out rubber?

And question about pleather preservation/restoration - what exactly is the plastidip/coat thing that everyone's doing to touch these up/are there actually any preventative measures, or do I just need to resisgn myself to the glue eventually degrading and spalling off of the plastic layer?

Lol, because it was made to protect the skin of babies.......mineral oil is probably not the best thing for pleather.
You want a product with UV protectant like something made for automotive interior vinyl with UV protectant. Not mineral oil or leather conditioner.

The thing I use on pleather myself is the silicone spray for cockpit. Never had any issues so far. But I also keep my collectibles out of direct sun

I wonder, those new Batman V Superman figures.. Especially Batman and Superman: what are their suits made of? I'm not expert on the subject. Do you think they will deteriorate easily? Just a feeling but the Batman suit looks so fragile to me (even more so than the 89 DX)..

I wonder, those new Batman V Superman figures.. Especially Batman and Superman: what are their suits made of? I'm not expert on the subject. Do you think they will deteriorate easily? Just a feeling but the Batman suit looks so fragile to me (even more so than the 89 DX)..
I could be wrong, but I think they're using pleather. I did some research about this, but pleather could last longer than leather if they're using the right process to make it

I could be wrong, but I think they're using pleather. I did some research about this, but pleather could last longer than leather if they're using the right process to make it

Since HT used quite low quality rubber, what makes you think they'll use high quality pleather?

Has anyone had issues with the Robocop rubber now that they've been out for some time? Particularly the battle damage version. I'd like to pick one up if they're fairing well.

I do hope these figures hold up well for a long time to come. Given the significant cost of them it would be soul destroying to see that money turn to nothing. I guess the best way is to keep recycling the collection. With lines like DC and Marvel that's easy enough with updated versions always round the corner to accompany the latest movie. But stuff like Ghostbusters, Terminator, Robocop etc I'd hope, if looked after, figures will still be in good shape 10, 20+ years from now.

Since HT used quite low quality rubber, what makes you think they'll use high quality pleather?

It's the eternal optimism of the 1/6 collector.

"I think this time Sideshow knows they need to really take their time and get it right"

That circlejerk though, I think it's reddit for a second

Rubber even high quality, it's will deteriorate after a years. It's nature of that material

I made a video on this very issue

31715409286_b2ba64872f_b.jpg

31715413326_00d6ebb6ca_b.jpg

I made a video on this very issue

31715413326_00d6ebb6ca_b.jpg

Well it's not a permanent solution, as the replacement jacket is made from lower quality pleather than Hot Toys, why we know? because many of us got the Hot Toys Leon Kennedy pleather jacket replacements, and those thin strips goes in less the 2 years. The main part would last longer but more or less same as Hot Toys, i would guess even less though.

Only long term solution is to replace the pleather layer with Real Leather. I've seen some people from Hong Kong do it however the hard parts is getting the stitchings as they were. you probably need to remove all the stitch and restich them which is really the hard part. Also getting the thinnest leather in the correct leather can be difficult, you probably need to sand them down.

Back