Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came across this one on facebook, another one bites the dust:slap

22885912_1231084436992846_8956662147507178491_n.jpg

It does look dirty, keep in mind that's not mine, I don't own a Crow figure, but it doesn't look well kept, none the less just another figure for those of you that have it to keep an eye on.

if the pleather has a fabric cloth backing, it's not a big problem as you can still fix it back to 70% look, you will loose the nice leather texture but still it would look vinyl with some liquitex or rubber paints.

the problem are those that doesn't come with fabric backing (Belt/Straps), or comes with cloth with different color or those with multiple layers, that makes restoration difficult. you probably have to redo with genuine leather.

It does look dirty, keep in mind that's not mine, I don't own a Crow figure, but it doesn't look well kept, none the less just another figure for those of you that have it to keep an eye on.

that is why many old makers now try to avoid pleather, vinyl & rubber after 15 years of complaining from customers. you'd notice most new comers still using pleather. i will avoid any pleather figures (except belt/harness) unless it's really something.

that is why many old makers now try to avoid pleather, vinyl & rubber after 15 years of complaining from customers. you'd notice most new comers still using pleather.
stupid HT newcomers.

maxresdefault.jpg

It could be that he just left him sitting outside and he was sun damaged as well over time. I know things happen but.. I don't feel like that guy was exactly taking the ideal precautions, much less any.

I have the Crow fig as well from back when it came out and it's completely pristine.

Looks like it was stored on a top shelf prolly in the direction of a ceiling vent and sunlight.

Actually it looks like it was thrown in a box in an attic next to volatile chemicals..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Crow looks like the day I got it...

Same here. Mine is behind glass too.

Holy cow, that collector's Crow figure looks like a complete wreck. I wish I knew what exact conditions he/she kept it in. I believe humidity is another factor that deteriorates figures. Luckily, that is not an issue in my area.

But after seeing this pic, it makes me second-guess whether I should re-pose my figure in a more static museum pose - I currently have both elbows bent so I'm wondering if that stresses the pleather material.

I suspect all of that dust is the clue here.

It looks as if it's been kept on an open shelf without any dusting whatsoever going on. (And as others say we've no idea about the lighting conditions...) Dust tends to do terrible things to many plastics if left sat there for any length of time, so it wouldn't surprise me if the very thin plastic layer on the pleather went to hell because of all that visible dust.

Back