Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That circlejerk though, I think it's reddit for a second

Rubber even high quality, it's will deteriorate after a years. It's nature of that material

Not necessarily, I own a gas mask made out of rubber in the early 70's, it is in perfect shape even today. It also depends on the rubber and its composition

Not necessarily, I own a gas mask made out of rubber in the early 70's, it is in perfect shape even today. It also depends on the rubber and its composition

no doubt rubbers made in older days are "Mostly" made of better materials, i.e more Rubber & less synthetics/additives. However there are also rubbers that couldn't stand the trial of age. But I'm guessing your gas mask is more of a hard rubber than soft ones.

for example rubbers in automotive generally use heavy duty rubbers, even though most cars need replacement on their rubbers/seals, understand those rubbers have been subjected to outdoor environments especially direct sunlight. However, those rubbers are no way soft like those used on Rubber Suits on 1/6 toys.

Well it's not a permanent solution, as the replacement jacket is made from lower quality pleather than Hot Toys, why we know? because many of us got the Hot Toys Leon Kennedy pleather jacket replacements, and those thin strips goes in less the 2 years. The main part would last longer but more or less same as Hot Toys, i would guess even less though.

Only long term solution is to replace the pleather layer with Real Leather. I've seen some people from Hong Kong do it however the hard parts is getting the stitchings as they were. you probably need to remove all the stitch and restich them which is really the hard part. Also getting the thinnest leather in the correct leather can be difficult, you probably need to sand them down.

Yes that's true, I mentioned that the new coat may not last ether in my review, however their are other examples of hot toys pleather that have lasted, dx13, MMS117, X3 Wolverine and so on so no one really knows which will last and which ones will not.

Yes that's true, I mentioned that the new coat may not last ether in my review, however their are other examples of hot toys pleather that have lasted, dx13, MMS117, X3 Wolverine and so on so no one really knows which will last and which ones will not.

DX13 and X3 Wolverine are still relatively new. Give them a few more years ....

I made a video on this very issue

31715409286_b2ba64872f_b.jpg

31715413326_00d6ebb6ca_b.jpg

Here's what Deadpool owners have to look forward too, myself included.

Pleather on the black sections of the suit best I can tell...

if it's not the main suit but paddings, can be fixed with acrylic paint after you remove the pleather layer.

alternatively you can try using a really light coat of Future Floor Shine, very thin coat because too think it might damage the suit when you move it. this will form a seal on the surface & keep the pieces together.

or mink oil.

if it's not the main suit but paddings, can be fixed with acrylic paint after you remove the pleather layer.

alternatively you can try using a really light coat of Future Floor Shine, very thin coat because too think it might damage the suit when you move it. this will form a seal on the surface & keep the pieces together.

or mink oil.

Thanks for the tips:duff

At this point there isn't an issue with the figure and I hope it doesn't become an issue, if it turns out to be than I'll cross that bridge at that point.

Thanks for the tips:duff

At this point there isn't an issue with the figure and I hope it doesn't become an issue, if it turns out to be than I'll cross that bridge at that point.

but you can always apply leather wax, mink oil, rubber protector as a mean to slow down the process & also give it a shinny look.

Picked up a set of Hot Toys Mars Attacks. Is is worth it to open them and display them? Does the rubber deterioration issue happen due to bending the arms and legs? Should I just resell them? In the box they are great, but I have yet to open them.

Picked up a set of Hot Toys Mars Attacks. Is is worth it to open them and display them? Does the rubber deterioration issue happen due to bending the arms and legs? Should I just resell them? In the box they are great, but I have yet to open them.

Never owned them but everyone I remember seeing always had the rubber rot, I would leave them in the box or sell them, display them only if you can deal with the issue and are a big fan would be my suggestion.

I bought both MARS ATTACK Hot Toys new, and I've had both of them displayed since then with no rubber rot. One is in a museum pose in a display case and the other is in a more action pose. No problems for me.

I bought both MARS ATTACK Hot Toys new, and I've had both of them displayed since then with no rubber rot. One is in a museum pose in a display case and the other is in a more action pose. No problems for me.

Same here. I have seen rubber split on these but never full on rot. Keep museum poses and they will be fine

Is Mod Podge still the best route to go or is there any other products or methods to prefer? It's for a new in box HT Dog Alien..

Back