1/6 Hot Toys ROTS - COMMANDER CODY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Cody is still a go, he's up at Tokyo Comic Con, I'm sure so decent pics will pop up soon.

I hope Cody is soon - I will order him in hopes of getting more Hot Toy Clones. Clone Wars is bloody fantastic!

I'd honestly be surprised if Cody isn't formally announced by the end of the year. Hot Toys loves making troopers, troopers make money, Howard loves the PT, the PT has troopers, which means Howard loves PT troopers that will make money because Howard likes money.

#logic

DtOLHmsVsAYnICx.jpg-orig.jpg

Tempting but i'd probably pass unless HT add a gorgeous Temuera Morrison sculpt to the list of accessories.

With what they’ve shown us of him with the minimal accessories and the oddly well priced ROTJ storm trooper release, maybe this guy could land at Royal Guard pricing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With what they’ve shown us of him with the minimal accessories and the oddly well priced ROTJ storm trooper release, maybe this guy could land at Royal Guard pricing??

Don't hold your breath. The royal guard was 90% fabric work over a stock body, and the new stormtrooper appears to use most of the same molds as the previous ones, so they're reusing old tooling with minimal new investment.

As HT has done zero PT troopers yet, every piece of this guy is a new mold. We're going to see that cost reflected in full here, with the price maybe averaged out on future releases if they continue to pump out variants.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Don't hold your breath. The royal guard was 90% fabric work over a stock body, and the new stormtrooper appears to use most of the same molds as the previous ones, so they're reusing old tooling with minimal new investment.

As HT has done zero PT troopers yet, every piece of this guy is a new mold. We're going to see that cost reflected in full here, with the price maybe averaged out on future releases if they continue to pump out variants.

Right I understand that but that fabric is still a decent amount of R&D and the new pieces were the main parts of the RG

You’re probably right though. The wishful thought came about just because of how many of us counted out ever seeing a Hot Toys figure below $200 again, even if they are reused pieces. A lot of times that’s irrelevant anyways to Hot Toys and they charge more the second or third times through.

Right I understand that but that fabric is still a decent amount of R&D and the new pieces were the main parts of the RG

It's not, though. Designing a cloth pattern (especially one as simple as the RG) is far less expensive than developing molds to inject plastic, even if if they're making a plate to stamp cut or laser cut the fabric parts.

And a seamstress can likely sew those pieces together faster than a painter can apply paint to a bunch of different parts, especially when those parts include multiple colors and battle damage.

So when you compare the RG (very few colors, no weathering) to Cody (lots of pieces, lots of colors, lots of weathering) the labor investment is pretty different.

It's not, though. Designing a cloth pattern (especially one as simple as the RG) is far less expensive than developing molds to inject plastic, even if if they're making a plate to stamp cut or laser cut the fabric parts.

And a seamstress can likely sew those pieces together faster than a painter can apply paint to a bunch of different parts, especially when those parts include multiple colors and battle damage.

So when you compare the RG (very few colors, no weathering) to Cody (lots of pieces, lots of colors, lots of weathering) the labor investment is pretty different.

Haha alright I can only get so deep into these speculative debates. I’m not going to argue you on costs and steps for making a figure because I don’t have the slightest clue of the process or pretend I do.

Either way like I said:

you’re likely right that it won’t be RG prices but I’m more optimistic about all releases after that rotj trooper price release even if it is a lot of remolding- we’ve seen them do actual flat out repaints and prices not be the same or as fair. For example, check out the Iron Man Concept Art.....

If no, head sculpt I won’t buy. It’s nice, I love clone troopers but I think I like the concept of the man behind the helmet better. Vader is great, Anakin head sculpt or not only because he is so iconic that his helmet is almost a hopelessly romantic symbol.

I really hope they release a head sculpt with Jango Fett too!!!

What I really want is Sideshow Commander Wolffe at a good price..

Exactly.
I always laugh when newbies turn up to the hobby and exclaim "how come this is so expensive! They just need to pop out more copies of what they made before!"
While they can relatively easily pop out more armour(If a mould already exists), clothing needs to be made from scratch with EVERY SINGLE COSTUME MADE...
It's not like they have a replicator pumping out new stuff, lol.

Back