Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Clone Wars)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man this looks great. I don't have an Obi-Wan figure so this might be it. I have Clone Wars Anakin in my cart right now who I never felt I needed, but do I get this Obi-Wan without Ani? :lol And he'd be free with rewards too, which I was saving for shiny Mando...

Not sure what to do. I could always just stick this CW Obi with Cody.... :dunno

That'll probably be what I do. Cody has been by himself long enough.

I really wish Hot Toys did the other version of his Clone Wars outfit or at least in another style/fabric. The one Sideshow did for their animated style figure looks better as an outfit overall. Think it works better and more closely ties into his Episode 2/3 look. That super maroon red with blue fabric on top just doesn't look as good on the Hot Toys figure and is the reason why I've never been 100% a fan of it. The armor bit for his chest/shoulder also makes it look a bit awkward.

76782be7-714a-432e-a66b-56420ed381e7.jpg
Easy enough to do, it’s pretty much just his ROTS look with a left gauntlet.

I really wish Hot Toys did the other version of his Clone Wars outfit or at least in another style/fabric. The one Sideshow did for their animated style figure looks better as an outfit overall. Think it works better and more closely ties into his Episode 2/3 look. That super maroon red with blue fabric on top just doesn't look as good on the Hot Toys figure and is the reason why I've never been 100% a fan of it. The armor bit for his chest/shoulder also makes it look a bit awkward.

76782be7-714a-432e-a66b-56420ed381e7.jpg
That does look better as it is pretty much his ROTS look. I don’t get why Anakin, the more edgy and “brutal” of the two, didn’t get a cool armoured variant. The maroon red, the ugly tunic, the unbalanced armour; it’s too all over the place. But had HT gone with that colour at least it’d had been improved. I’m still waiting for a ROTS rerelease, as I couldn’t justify the CW dolly. This Obi is really, really tempting me though. I’ll have to sleep on it.

HT's choice to do animated armour on realistic figure is weird but I think it is probably due to the Battlefront model being the "current" look.
I will just call it Jedi Armour in my head canon. I have the Sideshow armoured General Obi Wan from 2003 Clone Wars so I will call this version the "phase 2 Jedi armour"

He’s wearing Clone armor parts. So the full realistic version of his animated appearance should have realistic Clone armor.

View attachment 616593View attachment 616594

BF2 did the same thing as Hot Toys and used the animated style armor despite the game being realistic which was a bit odd.

But Hot Toys already has an established line of realistic Clone figures from both film and animation so them not being more consistent is even odder.

Gentle Giant used the realistic armor. Hasbro did as well.

Still really excited for this figure though.

View attachment 616595View attachment 616596
Obi-Wans armour pieces are different from that of a regular Clones, even in the series, so technically GG and Hasbro got it wrong.

Well given your profile pic it would be expected, no? :monkey3 :lol
Haha mostly expected. But I wasn’t planning on it based on the original proto we saw ages ago. But, now that it’s a new sculpt, all those goodies and the body proportions also look a lot better than the one we saw at the Cons so I can’t not get it.

I know some folks are getting this to put with CW Anakin but I want a Ventress to put with him. Always loved their flirtatious banter on the show. And I think in one of the one off comics they actually had a romantic fling or something but that might not be correct as I don’t follow the comics religiously.

I know Dooku was in stock for forever but I wonder if we’ll get a reissue under this line with an alternate cape with hood.

TCW Obi-Wan, Windu, and AOTC Anakin at $279 but Crosshair at $271 and the SBD at $238 really makes Sideshow’s pricing feel even more arbitrary than it already is. :lol

But it’s good that they’re keeping characters at around the $270-280 range for now. We got very close to $300 being the norm before they dialed it back. We’ll get there some day, but not today. They must know by now OWK Kenobi and Cobb Vanth are not going to move very quickly at $295 and $300.

This is $15 (okay, $16) less than the OWK version and I feel like you get a lot more figure despite the former’s inclusion of battle action rocks.

That does look better as it is pretty much his ROTS look. I don’t get why Anakin, the more edgy and “brutal” of the two, didn’t get a cool armoured variant. The maroon red, the ugly tunic, the unbalanced armour; it’s too all over the place. But had HT gone with that colour at least it’d had been improved. I’m still waiting for a ROTS rerelease, as I couldn’t justify the CW dolly. This Obi is really, really tempting me though. I’ll have to sleep on it.
Kind of wonder how an extra set of the armor from this set will look on Anakin. Just replace the chest/shoulder armor with the clone armor bits from this. Might work and actually be a bit close to that art you posted earlier.

Then again, the constrast between the two is nice and most likely the reasoning behind the design. Maybe it's just Hot Toys rendition of it that's bothering me more than anything. :dunno

qf1lxn94v2o51.jpg

Kind of wonder how an extra set of the armor from this set will look on Anakin. Just replace the chest/shoulder armor with the clone armor bits from this. Might work and actually be a bit close to that art you posted earlier.

Then again, the constrast between the two is nice and most likely the reasoning behind the design. Maybe it's just Hot Toys rendition of it that's bothering me more than anything. :dunno

qf1lxn94v2o51.jpg
Could do with a better Hayden sculpt too, ROTS/TCW version just doesn't do it for me, and the hair looks weird; it's just one big sculpted lump.

I personally love the CW Anakin. I think the deep burgundy and navy looks awesome and is refreshing next to all the jedi browns. I also love how it will look next to this Kenobi. Feels like it's a subtle light side/dark side comparison between the two to me. I dig it.

Obi-Wans armour pieces are different from that of a regular Clones, even in the series, so technically GG and Hasbro got it wrong.

It’s a bit of a strange case. Not that they don’t do odd things, but it would seem odd for LFL to green light the depiction of Obi-Wan in realistic Clone armor if that‘s not intended. And it happens broadly across multiple companies like Gentle Giant, Hasbro, Sideshow, and Marvel, etc.

Some of these figures like the Black Series (2021) and GG (2022) came out after the BF2 General Kenobi skin (2018).

But they did approve that skin and this figure, which they might be okay with as it’s still an official appearance. Just more animation based.

I could see chalking up the differences of his early armor pieces and Clone armor to being a hero animation model vs background Clones.

I personally see it as Clone armor, especially early war (which does get modified in later seasons). If others see it as separate Jedi armor, that’s absolutely fine as well.

qf1lxn94v2o51.jpg
Hm, that could work, but it'd take quite a few extra cash. But the black robes/white armour/black undersuit combo would look significantly better I think. Alas, it'll forever be a "what if" in my case; no cash for such a gamble.

But as it stands I think that the base CW Anakin design is just very off and weird. I always focused on the armour and didn't pay much attention to the robes, but ever since the dolly was shown and I then started watching TCW, it really started rubbing me off the wrong way. He's the bad boy anti hero, why is he "underdressed" and going out in maroon and blue with a kitchen apron for a tunic?! I remembered the Genndy version being better, but it was just the ROTS look without the black vest/tunic and the armour bits. Better, but with my problem being how "empty" it looks without the full armoured get up. He's like a Knight with just (half) a breastplate. It looks off.

Could do with a better Hayden sculpt too, ROTS/TCW version just doesn't do it for me, and the hair looks weird; it's just one big sculpted lump.
We'll probably get 2.0 reissues of both Anakin and Obi for ROTS, with new sculpts and rolling eyes. What I'm wondering is if they'll release a 2.0 Dark Side Anakin this year since they showed one with the Kenobi 501st. Granted that was just the same one from years before and there's no reason to speculate, but I wonder if they'll churn a quick one out to drive up sales of the new 501sts. And then the other question is if they'll offer two Anakins for ROTS. Maybe they could do a Boba style 2-Pack with a normal Anakin reissue with some improvements, and then have Dark Side Anakin come with an angrier HS, maybe some deluxe "burned up" bits and pieces. Pair that with a DX ROTS Vader with Hayden's burned up face, and you're set. Which makes me wonder if they'll also do a Palpatine/Sidious ROTS 2-Pack, with both his Sheev look with the red robes, and the classic black robed look. Man, between the possibilities of ROTS, FF, maybe Armour Wars (though I doubt I'll get anything from there unless Zeke Stane gets an uber cool suit), and The (Dreamworks Clown) Kang Dynasty, 2025 is legitimately going to kill me...

I personally love the CW Anakin. I think the deep burgundy and navy looks awesome and is refreshing next to all the jedi browns. I also love how it will look next to this Kenobi. Feels like it's a subtle light side/dark side comparison between the two to me. I dig it.
I feel that the whole design is very disjointed, but it's because that thematic contrast doesn't work that it really soured me on wanting to pair the two. I understand that they couldn't go for black & red as that'd literally be a Sith, but they should've kept the darker brown and black hues in my opinion. Or at the very least given Anakin some proper Clone armour too. He just feels very "choppy" in every aspect.

Yeah I think the sculpt is also a bit distracting. Overall just a very awkward looking figure. Can't really have Clone Wars Obi-Wan on his own though. Decisions decisions..

I thought maybe we would have get a new Hayden sculpt with that 501st image they showed but I think people said it's just their old EP3 figure. A shame.

rN3JELe.jpg

mipx923297f41.png

Yeah I think the sculpt is also a bit distracting. Overall just a very awkward looking figure. Can't really have Clone Wars Obi-Wan on his own though. Decisions decisions..

I thought maybe we would have get a new Hayden sculpt with that 501st image they showed but I think people said it's just their old EP3 figure. A shame.

rN3JELe.jpg

mipx923297f41.png
You can easily just pair him with a bunch of Clones, as a General with his Army. I'm on a similar boat in the Anakin/Obi situation, but I figure that you don't need to put Vader with Old Ben either. There's a bunch of displays one can whip up. They do have solo adventures at the end of the day.

I did hype myself up for a DS Anakin re-release, but yeah, I'm not thinking it's likely.

rN3JELe.jpg

mipx923297f41.png
Who knows, maybe they just haven’t reveled that one yet b/c the AOTC sculpt is getting revised with longer hair and sith eyes for a Kenobi series version. Might just take a little longer like this TCW Obi wan did. Or they could be saving an updated Anakin for an ROTS anniversary release

It’s a bit of a strange case. Not that they don’t do odd things, but it would seem odd for LFL to green light the depiction of Obi-Wan in realistic Clone armor if that‘s not intended. And it happens broadly across multiple companies like Gentle Giant, Hasbro, Sideshow, and Marvel, etc.

Some of these figures like the Black Series (2021) and GG (2022) came out after the BF2 General Kenobi skin (2018).

But they did approve that skin and this figure, which they might be okay with as it’s still an official appearance. Just more animation based.

I could see chalking up the differences of his early armor pieces and Clone armor to being a hero animation model vs background Clones.

I personally see it as Clone armor, especially early war (which does get modified in later seasons). If others see it as separate Jedi armor, that’s absolutely fine as well.
Maybe it was some leftover prototype Clone armour :lol

You can easily just pair him with a bunch of Clones, as a General with his Army. I'm on a similar boat in the Anakin/Obi situation, but I figure that you don't need to put Vader with Old Ben either. There's a bunch of displays one can whip up. They do have solo adventures at the end of the day.

I did hype myself up for a DS Anakin re-release, but yeah, I'm not thinking it's likely.
Might go for Obi-Wan + Commander Cody display instead. Leaves room to have EP2 Anakin + Padme and then Kenobi Vader on his own. 🤔

3bmQVrC.jpg

Back