1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Sorry- still no likey
Dooku on PO though.

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

The sky can stop falling now! Good review as always, the figure looks great. Now I'm getting excited again....thanks Justin!

Definitely.
Love the way the hood sits too

Though lip is not as bad as first reveal in Justin's reveal, still I'm not sold in the likeness (especially lower face). Moustache seems more pronounced than the beard. Moustache reminds me Sam Elliot. I don't know if it's the paintjob or the sculpt.

The stages of this figure:
1. Wow, prototype nailed it, preordered.
2. Waiting
3. Waiting
4. Where is the Death Star trooper?
5. Waiting
6. Waiting
7. He’s out, he sucks! What happened?
8. Anger
9. Better pics, he actually looks good.
10. I can’t wait, ship me my damn figure.

Repeat this for dooku.

I pretty surprised by the new pictures. I'm guessing they are just really bad -- the beard and moustache look terrible in particular. And the 40-something Obi looks more like a youthful Padawan. Inevitably it will be better in hand... but man, if I had this on PO, I'd be sweating.

This is the first HT sculpt in a long time where I felt they really dropped the ball. I mean, lots of Star Wars figures don't look like who they're supposed to be -- Han, Ben, Luke, etc -- but on top of that, this one just looks... cheap.

I still hate the hair and beard color. Too dark and nothing other than a repaint will do anything about it. Sof far HT SW figures have really been disappointing me. None of the episode iv figures turned out good, i canceled all those back then. I was hoping for RotJ figures to be my main display and then luke and emperor disappointed me. And now this subpar looking obi-wan. Not sure if i will still get cody and maul now at this rate. I hope maul and Qui-Gon turn out good at least.

I still hate the hair and beard color. Too dark and nothing other than a repaint will do anything about it. Sof far HT SW figures have really been disappointing me. None of the episode iv figures turned out good, i canceled all those back then. I was hoping for RotJ figures to be my main display and then luke and emperor disappointed me. And now this subpar looking obi-wan. Not sure if i will still get cody and maul now at this rate. I hope maul and Qui-Gon turn out good at least.

I’m right with you. The Star Wars figures have been mostly misses for me in terms of head sculpts. Add to the fact that I don’t really think slight variations of the same black/brown/tan Jedi robes look all that visually interesting on the shelf, and I’m thinking of just stepping off this PT figure train now if this is what we get for the finished sculpts and paint jobs. Because for me that’s the main selling point on a figure like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have my final payment as May 5.

Yeah, I just got a schedule change email. My final payment was due 25th April, and has now been kicked back to May, so safe to say it won't be landing any time this month from the look of things.

I’m right with you. The Star Wars figures have been mostly misses for me in terms of head sculpts. Add to the fact that I don’t really think slight variations of the same black/brown/tan Jedi robes look all that visually interesting on the shelf, and I’m thinking of just stepping off this PT figure train now if this is what we get for the finished sculpts and paint jobs. Because for me that’s the main selling point on a figure like this.

Have a look at both Jedi Luke and Rey outside.

I pretty surprised by the new pictures. I'm guessing they are just really bad -- the beard and moustache look terrible in particular. And the 40-something Obi looks more like a youthful Padawan. Inevitably it will be better in hand... but man, if I had this on PO, I'd be sweating.

This is the first HT sculpt in a long time where I felt they really dropped the ball. I mean, lots of Star Wars figures don't look like who they're supposed to be -- Han, Ben, Luke, etc -- but on top of that, this one just looks... cheap.

Yeah I'm not quite ready to declare this figure a success either. The sculpt may look a little better in some pics, but it still seems awfully generic to me, and from a distance could almost be the smooth, featureless face of a Hasbro figure.

I'm sure with a repaint and under the dioder lights it'll look a lot better, but it's still not something I feel terribly excited for right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwEvlX8HAu_/

54512784_305307066817290_7871488978337297326_n.jpg

Yeah I'm not quite ready to declare this figure a success either. The sculpt may look a little better in some pics, but it still seems awfully generic to me, and from a distance could almost be the smooth, featureless face of a Hasbro figure.

I'm sure with a repaint and under the dioder lights it'll look a lot better, but it's still not something I feel terribly excited for right now.

My precise sentiments also.

As I’ve mentioned before, this was the only other PT figure I wanted, but I’m just not sold on that sculpt. A slight drop in quality from proto to production is to be expected, but this one seems to have really suffered a significant drop off. That being the case, for me, I’d still have him, but wouldn’t be willing to pay retail for it. If I don’t ever manage to get him, no big deal.

I like it, he was meant to be 38 in ROTS.
6253edce91c96d81017d94fdc95d3220.jpg
231fbf6b66a5fe4f389713294d21d4cf.jpg
ea66d2352546a85f4e9f1661c902a130.jpg
1c1e7305791c898d122d23a8b5c86312.jpg
871af8b9ff3c35817703af3cc895bc5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

While there is still a strong debate over the success/merits of this ROTS Kenobi figure, I thought I'd re-visit HT's previous Kenobi one more time here...

HT-ANH-KENOBI-018.jpg

The same issues cam up regarding this version when it came out, especially concerning the likeness that folks are still debating. Is it a dead-on likeness to Sir Alec here? No. But...I recognize the character, it is well-crafted and executed for the most part. One can display it well and/or get good photos. It's been interesting to see how the tide shifts in here....when it was first announced that HT was going to be producing SW figures, everyone was extremely excited about the possibilities of getting really well-crafted figures of our favorite characters with dead-on likenesses and high quality execution. The end result has been the same spirited debates over figure quality that have greeted every release from every manufacturer while paying al lot more for it...so much for getting perfection, eh?

When reading through the many threads for various releases, the impression is that this line hasn't been any more or less successful to fans than any other HT offers. There have been hits and misses, quality issues, likeness results that foster intense debate and figures produced that put the talented artists we have in here to work altering and changing the figure to change what is perceived to be lacking.

This ROTS Obi-Wan is no different. Saw a great proto that prior to production was altered due to licensor feedback. The end result looks good and will likely feature the same challenges in display and taking effective photos that many of the other figures, including the ANH version pictures here, have presented.

After seeing the parade of images and videos, I'm in. I love this character and have collected many versions of him over the years. I think he will look great displayed with the HT Anakin and will provide a good time in getting some interesting photos of him.

Bottom line, every figure that HT has produced for SW has had SOME kind of issue or another with it upon release. Some more than others. I'm hoping to recieve a figure free of manufacturing issues and looking as good as it can from the factory. He'll be a great addition to the Kenobi collection I have going.

Keep the debate going...keep the photos and videos coming!

Yeah it's true they've nearly all had issues of some kind. I think the only SW figures in my collection that I never felt a need to improve in some way were Chirrut and TLJ Leia.

Never understood the choice for Obi-Wan to be '38' in ROTS.... making him 57 in ANH. Laughable.

Anyway, the softness of the hair detailing is likely the worst offender here, since most of his face is covered in hair. Looks like the paint is way too thick, losing the fine detail of the hair -- now that's a problem that we have not seen since.... oh, 2005-2008 Sideshow hair.

Last edited:

Never understood the choice for Obi-Wan to be '38' in ROTS.... making him 57 in ANH. Laughable.

Anyway, the softness of the hair detailing is likely the worst offender here, since most of his face is covered in hair. Looks like the paint is way too thick, losing the fine detail of the hair -- a problem that we have not seen since.... oh, 2005-2008 Sideshow hair.
Not really, go live in the deep desert for 20 years[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not really, go live in the deep desert for 20 years[emoji23]

I know people use that excuse but I don't buy it. Besides, the sheer amount of Kenobi adventures between ROTS and ANH will show you that he didn't live on Tatooine for much of that time.

Anyway, the softness of the hair detailing is likely the worst offender here, since most of his face is covered in hair. Looks like the paint is way too thick, losing the fine detail of the hair -- now that's a problem that we have not seen since.... oh, 2005-2008 Sideshow hair.

^^^This. Likeness on this version is more accurate than the ANH Old Ben for sure, but the hair/beard paint is more flat, and the details are much softer and “globbier” when compared to that figure from a couple years ago.

Nice shot! I cannot wait to get mine!

Anakin Skywalker was perfect, don't care what anyone says, that figure couldn't have been better looking to me at least.

Back