Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow's "Duel on Naboo" Darth Maul is pretty much on par with anything HT has put out, probably the best figure they have done yet. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or what but theres no denying that figure is top notch.

Sideshow Maul feels on par with HT quality without an HT Maul to compare to, but so did Sideshow's Emperor until HT revealed theirs. Without a doubt, an HT Maul will find ways to surpass Sideshow same as usual.

Also you can't compare a realistic skin paintjob with Maul full makeup. Even Medicom Maul still looks decent with a good sculpt under black and red tattoos.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

Sideshow's original Maul can't stand alongside Hot Toys quality, and it's not just the head on Maul that HT could improve upon, the costume would likely be the biggest improvement and not just including more, but the fabrics and the overall tailoring.

Sideshow Maul feels on par with HT quality without an HT Maul to compare to, but so did Sideshow's Emperor until HT revealed theirs. Without a doubt, an HT Maul will find ways to surpass Sideshow same as usual.

Yeah, probably so. Although I never felt SS Emp was close to HT quality. It was one of their better looking figures at the time but that wasn't saying much.

I agree with Hellion though, Maul 2.0 is probably their best overall figure to date. It doesn't look the least bit out of place alongside HT figures. I don't think their new Luke will be the same.

Thing is, Maul in prototype form looked like he could stand along HT, I just don't think Sideshow's Luke looks up to that level even as a prototype.

If you're referring to Maul, the seamlines, while not truly visible under most display conditions, are a detractor, but the separate head/neck joint for Maul is crucial for the type of poses the character should be put in and likely HT would do the same.

The Sideshow Luke head is not going to turn out decent. Their recent track record says the exact opposite. Do yourself a favor and pull up proto/prod images of SSC figs like Luke X-Wing. The thing that's concerning is that the Sideshow Luke Jedi head already looks slightly wonky in the proto stage.

Sculptwise, I'm not 100% on the HT Luke Jedi head either, but at least they deliver on paint and sculpt detail. Sideshow has proven time and again - recently - that they just cannot catch up to where the 1/6 market is for heads, even for companies like DID.

This is spoken as someone who has tried over and over with Sideshow (I was often called a SSC "apologist") - figure after figure after figure - only to be let down.

I hear you but I am holding out hope...

My Sideshow Exclusive Jango sculpt is the best human sculpt I’ve seen come from their company. He looks great right next to my Hot Toys figures.
Still, there’s no way I’m getting the SS version over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you but I am holding out hope...

I really hate to say it. You honestly just want to slap them. How could they have gone this long in 1/6, have done this many figures, and STILL not be at HT's level, especially with their figs now at (or a little above) HT's prices.

My Sideshow Exclusive Jango sculpt is the best human sculpt I’ve seen come from their company. He looks great right next to my Hot Toys figures.
Still, there’s no way I’m getting the SS version over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, they can occasionally deliver something that comes quite close to HT - the TOD Indy is another one that is close to their best. But even those I find have slightly muddy apps and finer sculpt detail that isn't quite HT level, or something's off - like the Indy head being 10% undersized, even compared to the smallest HT heads, or the hairpiece on the Indy head not quite fitting tightly enough and having a visible seam.

You almost want to get 100 Sideshow fans together and head over to their offices and do a love-in intervention - "we love you, but you have to change.":lol

I was hoping for Blogger pics of this guy today but nothing. Hoping we see pics soon really anticipating Luke. The debate between Sideshow and Hot Toys 1:6 is easy. Hot Toys win and between Sideshow and Hot Toys Luke. Hot Toys wins in my eyes it's dumb they are even releasing a Luke from ROTJ. To compete is dumb on Sideshow's part. They should just stick to statues at this point and Troopers. They are hit or miss in the 1:6 market. Last figure I got from them was Jason and Tie Pilot. That's been it from me there other offerings haven't even intrigued me or worth the money.

Same...was expecting to see official production pic of Jedi Luke on May4th but its kinda let down

Back