Hot Toys - MMS293-294? - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th Luke Skywalker & Leia Organa

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS293-294? - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th Luke Skywalker & Leia Organ

Body looks great, hands look like generic garbage, head sculpt is stylized and extremely weak. Don't get me started on the hair. Lack of attention to detail and a laissez faire attitude scream from those promo shots - left handed saber and weapon wielding? FFS.

I'll get it, but damn, now I'll have three Larry Skywalkers and only one Luke in my collection.

Re: Hot Toys - MMS293-294? - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th Luke Skywalker & Leia Organ

Body looks great, hands look like generic garbage, head sculpt is stylized and extremely weak. Don't get me started on the hair. Lack of attention to detail and a laissez faire attitude scream from those promo shots - left handed saber and weapon wielding? FFS.

You really think the head sculpt is that weak? Granted, I'm still in the Shock & Awe phase of a first reveal, but it looks pretty damn good to me...a touch "fierce" but that seems typical of Hot Toys.

It's stylized precisely in the same way the Bespin face is. Have that one right in front of me right now. This is just getting to be super tiresome with HT - I don't even care that other people swoon and fall all over themselves for whatever HT releases, as I only collect for myself, but I expect more than good paint on a so-so canvas. As subtle as it may be, I prefer Sideshow's Red 5.

It's stylized precisely in the same way the Bespin face is. Have that one right in front of me right now. This is just getting to be super tiresome with HT - I don't even care that other people swoon and fall all over themselves for whatever HT releases, as I only collect for myself, but I expect more than good paint on a so-so canvas. As subtle as it may be, I prefer Sideshow's Red 5.

I agree with you on the DX07, although I think it looks better in-hand than in most photos I've seen, it's definitely "Heroic Idealized Luke" more than its "Mark Hamill As Luke Skywalker" and that's definitely a Hot Toys thing. But for the moment I'm not seeing it to as great a degree in this ANH Luke. SSC's Red 5 looks great but I'm afraid the production paint apps will hurt it.

Yup. Looks good to me.

I think the head looks great personally, as well as all the tailoring. I'll have to get the exclusive, because, to me, the iconic shot of Luke in ANH is with the Stormie blaster and belt. The "looking up at the sun" shot being a close second, of course.

I wish Hot Toys would spread these out a bit more lol. For me, Star Wars IS ANH, and those are the figures I want...and of course, they're pulling them all out one after another! But, again, first world problems...

I don't care about Leia or any stupid accesories, just give me a figure of this below and I'll hand over my ~$225 with a smile.

4a562fc5d28ca01628da7768b1eaa760.jpg

I'll let you guys nitpick the differences, but yup, I'm happy:D

11351487_10152843670182344_5001400675353983006_n.jpg

SSC's Red 5 looks great but I'm afraid the production paint apps will hurt it.

Wait until its out before counting it out. ;)

Yeah the face isn't perfect, but looks very very good to me. You can't mistake who this figure is supposed to be.

Re: Where are Hot Toys Luke and Leia?

Awesome. Not sure if the likeness is as good as the X-wing Luke proto--sculpts seem pretty similar--but this looks badass. Love all the accessories though that's got me thinking $229 or $239 (which would actually be funny compared to the bare bones X-Wing release).

Yeah, something is slightly off, but the ultra-realism of the sculpt and paint just powers it past any "it's slightly off" type thoughts. I mean it looks more real than a real person.:lol

In pure likeness, I would say the SSC Red 5 is a little better, but as Rorywan says, who knows what the SSC paint will be like. I have both Hoth figs and love 'em, but the paint apps were subpar in several different ways (not the least of which is thickness, obscuring fine sculpt detail - a SSC problem from many years ago)

Yeah the face isn't perfect, but looks very very good to me. You can't mistake who this figure is supposed to be.

You mean the guy in farmboy kimino holding a blue lightsaber?:lol

Defo get this , it got as Luke in Jedi and I really don't like the face on that, but this maybe not 100% but looks better then that silly I've been rogered look

not the least of which is thickness, obscuring fine sculpt detail

I'm not going to scrape up my sculpts, but I'm confident this isn't the case, as most of what's showing on the SSC Hoth figures is the base plastic, not a paint layer. A full repaint, which would include lightening up the entire base, would take these sculpts to the next level.

I'm not going to scrape up my sculpts, but I'm confident this isn't the case, as most of what's showing on the SSC Hoth figures is the base plastic, not a paint layer. A full repaint, which would include lightening up the entire base, would take these sculpts to the next level.

Not a lot of sculpt detail on Han or Luke so I assumed it was a paint thickness issue - Luke looks a little that way, but I haven't really examined closely. My biggest issues are the lack of any gradation and the Tan Solo skintone problem, which Luke shares.

My biggest issues are the lack of any gradation and the Tan Solo skintone problem, which Luke shares.

Agreed and this is precisely because most of what's showing is the base plastic with as little paint as possible. This is the standard way of painting sculpts for production, something HT generally does more effectively. The less paint used, the faster and more consistent the process can be.

Agreed and this is precisely because most of what's showing is the base plastic with as little paint as possible. This is the standard way of painting sculpts for production, something HT generally does more effectively. The less paint used, the faster and more consistent the process can be.

I've been going back and forth thinking about getting a second Hoth Luke (with that 20% coupon) but it's these issues that are holding me back.

If you only need a couple of parts, buy them loose. A 20% discount is nothing to sneeze at though. Not sure if that will be bested later in the year.

Yup. Looks good to me.

Looks great to me too. This is gonna look killer with the others.

Some "people" just like to find fault with all HT releases. :lol

Sideshow try to cast their heads in an accurate skin tone, then apply as little paint as possible. It's cheaper and less sophisticated. It can be done well, look at Enterbay's amazing heads to see how, SS haven't gotten it right yet. HT use very fine layers of detailing and tone which *generally* gives them a much more sophisticated and realistic final product, whereas SS heads tend to look tan and plastic-y because of the cheaper casting, molding and actual material.

Post some of your full repaints when you get them done, I would love to see them.

Not a lot of sculpt detail on Han or Luke so I assumed it was a paint thickness issue - Luke looks a little that way, but I haven't really examined closely. My biggest issues are the lack of any gradation and the Tan Solo skintone problem, which Luke shares.

Tan Solo and Luke are lacking detail because of the poor molding and casting. There is actually very little paint on those heads, I stripped one back to reveal.. well there is nothing to strip back. :lol

Looks great to me too. This is gonna look killer with the others.

Some "people" just like to find fault with all HT releases. :lol

We are a few who find faults with SSC as well. :lol

But as a hater of all bad things, no favorites here. If you think that SSC will do a 180 and all of a sudden put out product that is truly better than HT in hand, chances are good that you have a forum join date around 2005 and spend most of your forum time in the cantina thread. :wink1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back