1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I did pick up another one...that was a switch from a fig I thought about for a while, originally.:cool:

But he's a fav; love this fig and shelf presence, and IMO u get a lot of bang for the price. Doesn't seem like it, but there's plenty of looks and switchouts when u start playing.

Plus, 'bay prices are already alarming for a fig u can still get retail. I figure the Obi-wan series is gonna generate another Obi-Wan, so I can display with. I like the idea of the "classic Jedi" on the shelf. Also, I figure this is gonna be the only Qui-Gon.:horror

Thanks for the kind words about the shots. It's a great figure to pose up and get shots of.

I share your enthusiasm for this figure. And I agree, this is most likely a one-and-done character for HT. So glad it turned out as well as it did.
Here's a shot with an old clumsy Hasbro friend....

QUI-GON JINN 028.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words about the shots. It's a great figure to pose up and get shots of.

I share your enthusiasm for this figure. And I agree, this is most likely a one-and-done character for HT. So glad it turned out as well as it did.
Here's a shot with an old clumsy Hasbro friend....

View attachment 504975

lol Jar Jar. That actually looks like a pretty good fig. So far I'm impressed with these older Hasbro figures - have the 6 inch pit droids incoming. They are great accessory material if u don't want to go all in.

And this may not be the only Qui-gon; supposedly Neeson did sign onto the Obi-Wan series. But I'd like to see official confirmation. IMO he should at least do some voice work communing with Obi-Wan.

QGJ Sold through at Popcultcha.

Yeah, SSC still has him, but noticed some retailers sold out. My second shipped anyway - might get delayed from U.S. weather issues - UPS posted ship delay warnings.

HT_quigon.jpg

A good thing, think I am burning the batteries out playing with him:cool:. But he's great to work with. Now I want another Obi-Wan - may have to wait if I want a D+ series version:dunno

Pretty sure HT would make that version of Obi-Wan. I'd have to think about a Clone Wars version if they ever make that one.

Is that another HASBRO fig? Nice pic (and background!).

Thanks and yes it is. They weren't bad figures for the time, Long before SSC and HT burst onto the SW scene.

I'm not surprised that he is selling out at domestic third party retailers. Won't be long until SSC is out too. Such a good figure. in the recent flood of figures that all showed up at the same time for me (despite being ordered and various times over the last year or so), he has quickly become a favorite,

Another shot:

"My ship will be the entry fee"

QUI-GON JINN 035.jpg

Just so cool...

Thanks and yes it is. They weren't bad figures for the time, Long before SSC and HT burst onto the SW scene.

I'm not surprised that he is selling out at domestic third party retailers. Won't be long until SSC is out too. Such a good figure. in the recent flood of figures that all showed up at the same time for me (despite being ordered and various times over the last year or so), he has quickly become a favorite,

Another shot:

"My ship will be the entry fee"

Just so cool...

Beautiful shot and lighting:clap! It's that look I also wanted on the shelf - but also, he's just a great fig of one of my favorite SW characters.

Hear yah about figs all showing up at once - I like it better when it's one at a time, so I'm not thinking I need to rush to open and check everything. I like to take my time with a fig.

Yeah, I am surprised at the older Hasbro figs quality. Bought another set of pit droids to go with Mando...not HT level, but pretty good and sturdy for what they are. Pretty good articulation too.

Qui-Gon #2 is on the truck for delivery today, looking forward to him even after the first. There's always subtle differences in the head sculpt paintwork.

Edit:
I will be playing all summer with these 2. Just gotta decide about poses and another Obi-Wan; and probably a Yoda.:panic::frank

quigon_sand2.jpg

quigon_obi.jpg

And get some sandstone or a Tatooine background.:frank

Well, I did pick up another one...that was a switch from a fig I thought about for a while, originally.:cool:

But he's a fav; love this fig and shelf presence, and IMO u get a lot of bang for the price. Doesn't seem like it, but there's plenty of looks and switchouts when u start playing.

Plus, 'bay prices are already alarming for a fig u can still get retail. I figure the Obi-wan series is gonna generate another Obi-Wan, so I can display with. I like the idea of the "classic Jedi" on the shelf. Also, I figure this is gonna be the only Qui-Gon.:horror
you seriously bought two Qui-Gon ?

never mind just saw your pic

you seriously bought two Qui-Gon ?

never mind just saw your pic
Guess ur not a fan of this one. But I luv the character and the fig. And dont think he will be made again.

I have multiple display areas if it makes you feel better.:nana:

Guess ur not a fan of this one. But I luv the character and the fig. And dont think he will be made again.

I have multiple display areas if it makes you feel better.:nana:

I got one and I think QuiGon is a great figure, but hey I bought two Cody who am I jesting :slap

Thanks for reminding me about the Pit droids! I have those tucked away somewhere. I can't imagine they're worth much; sounds like a fun project to repaint and bring up to HT display standards.

I got one and I think QuiGon is a great figure, but hey I bought two Cody who am I jesting :slap

I get, esp. with the price of figs:horror - that folks can think getting duplicates is pretty bonkers:cool: - limited space and all that. I don't, usually.

For me, duplicates *happen* when 1) a favorite character, price is do-able, and the release IMO is impressive; 2) release is so impressive and bargain price.

For me I think only the Ultron Mark 1 fell into category 2 (he was going really cheap at BBTS at one point - an incredible fig tho)

Mostly it's category #1 - but even with separate display areas, for me there's gotta be some differences - like my 2 Mando V1s and Qui-Gon (different looks and accessories - TWS Bucky as well; some ASMUS figs). I've got that luxury + I use bookshelves for display + diorama backgrounds and stands when I can get them.

Other figs like Mando V2 I wouldn't MIND having a duplicate of - but he's too expensive; and HT is probably gonna churn out variant after variant, so I'll pass. Like, most of my duplicates are really *different* - not likely to be ever seen again, or anything similar. Finally, usually if I duplicate, there's a coupon or RPs or something that cuts the price down.:cool:

I think Qui-Gon is a surprisingly great fig - huge favorite of mine (tho I think that has a lot to do with the actor.) HT did right by him, IMO:clap. It'll be funny if he shows up in the Obi-Wan series and he's long sold out.:devil

Thanks for reminding me about the Pit droids! I have those tucked away somewhere. I can't imagine they're worth much; sounds like a fun project to repaint and bring up to HT display standards.

I picked up a loose R5-D4 to go with Mando that definitely needs some dirtying up - figure I can't mess up too badly.:horror

Don't think these old Phantom Menace toys are worth a lot - they must have made thousands - but for toys, IMO they are pretty nice.

I'm a fan of the character so I was looking forward to him, but cancelled after it was released. Severely disappointed in the drop in quality of the headsculpt.
Looks nothing like this :mad:
20210206_183306.jpg
unnamed_37_.jpg

Well, you did what anyone who ends up not pleased with the end result should do...voted with your wallet.

Those of us who've been at this for a while already know that it's a very rare thing that we see a production version of a figure match the prototype exactly. Sometimes they're close and sometimes they are significantly different. There have been the rare occasions where the production piece actually looked improved in production (the recently released Endgame Captain America seems to fit this category with most who've received it so far).

Does Jinn match the prototype? No, of course not. It's softer in detail, it's paint is less intense. But the prototype had it's detractors as well regarding the likeness to Neeson. But this change in detail and paint is often the case with these figures. Weather it's a licensor-mandated change or simply the way it went through final production, a great many of these portraits often end up with the same quality issues. They end up being well-crafted with a likeness that looks great in certain angles or conditions, but lacking in that elusive "realism" some collectors pursue.

For me, it often comes down to a few factors. Do I like the presentation? Is it a character I really enjoy and want featured in my collection? Are enough of the features (the outfit, the portrait, and less so, the accessories) look well-rendered? In this instance, it was a resounding "yes" to all.

I'm sorry that you felt the need to cancel based on what you saw. Hopefully you viewed many in-hand shots, checked out the varied video reviews and possibly actually saw the figure before you made that choice....especially if it was character you are a fan of.

I'm a huge fan of Qui-Gon and am extremely pleased with this figure. The more I snap shots and try different poses, the more I like it.

QUI-GON JINN 041.jpg

Good luck on your future collecting and hope you acquire some pieces that you are pleased with.

Pre-ordering figures based on proto pics is becoming more and more of a gamble these days. Too many changes from prototype to production. Some good like Endgame Cap. But some very bad.....mark 85 lol. I get the whole product may vary thing but there's a difference between product may vary and product may look half-assed. Speaking as a collector of hot toys for the past 10 years the drop in quality is baffling. Qui-gon, hawkeye/ronin, mark 85 :(

I'm a fan of the character so I was looking forward to him, but cancelled after it was released. Severely disappointed in the drop in quality of the headsculpt.
Looks nothing like this :mad:

I totally understand where you?re coming from on this one. There was a difference from Proto to production on Qui-Gon for sure. I still got one though because it?s much better than SS?s effort but it?s still not the beat all end all QGJ sculpt I was hoping for. It?s decent on the shelf but so far my least favorite PT sculpt.

Back