1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Ant-Man and the Wasp - Ant-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man the OG smokes this new release (comparison shot from Justin's video)...

KuWuuPG.jpg

KuWuuPG.jpg
Not hot toy's fault tho. The first antman is always the best.

But I'm leaning towards purchasing this. No matter how creepy the smile is, I think I have a feeling we'll never see another smiling paul rudd.
I can always buy if the next antman has a better headsculpt. But beside that this is the costume that's being most used in the avengers. We'll never see antman beside capt or ironman ever again.
I may buy an extra headsculpt to mod the teeth.

I agree the sculpt isn't a Yondu...but in this shot with the right lighting and at a more "shelf perspective" it's not as terrible as I ANTicipated. It scores above Ben Affleck from Civil War for sure. The problem is that the teeth are resting on the lower lip. Most folks don't smile like that barring a strong overbite. Justin's review does show off how good the suit finish is though.
4feab3ccc11cf0603dbf535b5ff02876.jpg

Totally, i like this much more than the civil war one.

Not hot toy's fault tho. The first antman is always the best.

I agree about the first suit being the best...and sure, that's nothing to do with Hot Toys. However, the presentation in 1/6 is...and the new figure just doesn't appear to be as well executed as the original (or the Civil War figure). I get that they wanted better articulation with this version but the arm / torso gaps spoils the "suit" aesthetic imo...and those elbow pads are a real eyesore. The whole thing just has a slightly disjointed, almost Figuarts-esque appearance to me.

That said, I do really like the colour / finish of the new suit...and I've warmed to the ludicrous head-sculpt (largely thanks to Hot Toys silly table tennis video).

If I ever do dabble with this guy I will either go with a helmeted museum pose to try and mask the gaps / elbow pads...or I'll completely own it by going full Rudd with an utterly ridiculous pose.

I agree about the first suit being the best...and sure, that's nothing to do with Hot Toys. However, the presentation in 1/6 is...and the new figure just doesn't appear to be as well executed as the original (or the Civil War figure). I get that they wanted better articulation with this version but the arm / torso gaps spoils the "suit" aesthetic imo...and those elbow pads are a real eyesore. The whole thing just has a slightly disjointed, almost Figuarts-esque appearance to me.

That said, I do really like the colour / finish of the new suit...and I've warmed to the ludicrous head-sculpt (largely thanks to Hot Toys silly table tennis video).

If I ever do dabble with this guy I will either go with a helmeted museum pose to try and mask the gaps / elbow pads...or I'll completely own it by going full Rudd with an utterly ridiculous pose.

You know, it would be so fun posing antman with deadpool doing silly things and paul rudd laughing.
He?s going to be the only figure I have with an expression, it?s gonna be quite weird but I think I?ll take my chances.
And yes there are some poor execution and for the price it is sad. I didn?t notice the elbow pads until it?s mentioned here tho.

I don't like the first suit though. Too muted compared to the proto and not enough red. Ant-man is supposed to be red mostly. This figure just sucks though and i know in my ocd mind if i got it i would just be unhappy with it. Now i have nothing to spend my gift card balance at ssc on. My next figures are to be qui-gon and hellboy, both with timewalker.

Yeah, the sculpt itself is pretty good. Paint job is not great and the teeth kills it. Hot Toys seems to struggle with painting the teeth on most of their sculpts for some reason.

As good as the 1st ant man is, unless I can find it for retail or less, I’ll have to buy the new version. Still looks great besides the awful smile on the unmasked head.

KuWuuPG.jpg

Yep that was back when Hot Toys were really trying. Now they're getting complacent, as any company or team does who are at the top for a while with no competition.

Anyway, I'm hoping we get an Empire Strikes Back figure this week. Han, Luke or Lando are long overdue !

You can imagine the comments if Lando gets a Ruddgate smile....."well what have we here ??" :lol

I'm a big Ant-Man fan and have the original and CW versions already. Most likely picking this one up as well, even with the goofy smile.

The head sculpt is truly a mixed bag. I definitely see Paul Rudd there but those teeth... :slap

Yep that was back when Hot Toys were really trying. Now they're getting complacent, as any company or team does who are at the top for a while with no competition.

Anyway, I'm hoping we get an Empire Strikes Back figure this week. Han, Luke or Lando are long overdue !

You can imagine the comments if Lando gets a Ruddgate smile....."well what have we here ??" :lol

Yeah, that complacency is one reason I am now starting to move away from Hot Toys and more into statues. Hot Toys is still the leader in the 1/6th scale market (partly due to their monopoly on licenses), but may of the statue companies are making significant improvements, while Hot Toys has been someone stagnant over the last 3-4 years. You still get some figures that come out near perfect that you can tell are still getting the love and attention from their A team. But we're also seeing how "average" some can be when they just want to crank out figures in volume. They'll just let something like this head sculpt/paint and poorly applied elbow pads "slip" through the cracks.

[...]But we're also seeing how "average" some can be when they just want to crank out figures in volume. They'll just let something like this head sculpt/paint and poorly applied elbow pads "slip" through the cracks.

One of the reasons I haven't bought a Hot Toys release in a while. They're getting lazy and I don't feel compelled to buy 'average' or lazy renditions of characters. I'm not desperate enough for any character to spend hundreds of dollars on something they didn't bother putting the work into.

One of the reasons I haven't bought a Hot Toys release in a while. They're getting lazy and I don't feel compelled to buy 'average' or lazy renditions of characters. I'm not desperate enough for any character to spend hundreds of dollars on something they didn't bother putting the work into.

My sentiments also. I absolutely love the character of John Wick for instance and would love a figure, but I just can’t get into the figure as I think the sculpt is quite soft and requires some substantial modding in order to bring it up to par, which I‘m not talented enough to do nor feel I should have to do. These days, I‘m a bit more picky on what I get. I’m not going to get a figure of a character just for the sake of having that character if I don’t think the sculpt or the figure in general is all that good.

My sentiments also. I absolutely love the character of John Wick for instance and would love a figure, but I just can’t get into the figure as I think the sculpt is quite soft and requires some substantial modding in order to bring it up to par, which I‘m not talented enough to do nor feel I should have to do. These days, I‘m a bit more picky on what I get. I’m not going to get a figure of a character just for the sake of having that character if I don’t think the sculpt or the figure in general is all that good.

This is sadly why I must pass on Ronin, despite being really pumped for it when they released the proto images...somewhere along the way the final production version was just butchered. Sure, it's not Smile Rudd level bad, but jeez, it was enough to suck all the enthusiasm away...and with the $250+ price tag, it's sadly not worth the mediocrity. :gah:

This is sadly why I must pass on Ronin, despite being really pumped for it when they released the proto images...somewhere along the way the final production version was just butchered. Sure, it's not Smile Rudd level bad, but jeez, it was enough to suck all the enthusiasm away...and with the $250+ price tag, it's sadly not worth the mediocrity. :gah:

What exactly was butchered? IMO The outfit still looks great, and the production sculpt doesn't look radically different.

Prototype:

Screenshot_2020-06-23 1 6 Hot Toys Endgame Ronin (Hawkeye) Figure.jpg

Production:

Screenshot_2020-06-23 Jazz Inc(1).jpgScreenshot_2020-06-23 1 6 Hot Toys Endgame Ronin (Hawkeye) Figure - Page 29.jpg

What exactly was butchered? IMO The outfit still looks great, and the production sculpt doesn't look radically different.

Prototype:

View attachment 488317

Production:

View attachment 488320View attachment 488321

Okay, maybe the term "butchered" is a bit extreme, but in my opinion the final production is not nearly as good compared to the proto, which i think (and apparently many others) is the far superior one...I dunno if it's the actual sculpt itself, or perhaps just a weaker paint app...but it's not as good I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back