1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not seeing Alec Guinness on that sculpt, at least from the photos shared here...but maybe is one of these cases were the figure is better in hand. Anyways that outer robe looks quite good, so I'll probably pick it and those old man hands to upgrade my repainted SSC:

17618316416_f1285f339e_b.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. The incoming sculpt is a copy of the HT head. Somebody up thread showed a pic of theirs and it looked pretty good. I already have a repainted SS head, just wanted to see this one in person.

And thanks to the others for the advice.

Remember that "a copy" is not like a digital copy - those eBay knockoff heads are often a little smaller (HT heads are already on the small size,) lacking in some detail and noticeably inferior paint apps. This one could be different, but this has been my experience.

I just bought the custom HT sculpt on ebay. and then bought his boots from TA. and use the custom Kenobi body that I had my repainted ss obiwan sculpt on and use this custom one HT version I got instead. I will have to find those hands and his belt one day on ebay or TA

You rarely see Ben's boots - which is unfortunate because the HT boots are gorgeous. have to find a pose that shows them!

Still not seeing Alec Guinness on that sculpt, at least from the photos shared here...but maybe is one of these cases were the figure is better in hand. Anyways that outer robe looks quite good, so I'll probably pick it and those old man hands to upgrade my repainted SSC:

View attachment 219063

Yeah, I dunno, this was discussed a few weeks ago on here - people keep posting these pics and they look like nice oil paintings of Ben. I guess it's the hyper-realistic HT "pores and blemishes" apps, but the average repaint that used to look so good just don't quite do it as much for me. And a top-drawer repaint can cost what the whole HT figure does. The SSC certainly has a superior likeness to the HT but it also is lacking in realistic detail and is a bit oversized like most SSC heads - and of course the stock paint is really bad.

What do you mean that the saber hand is in the wrong place, just curious?

Probably means when Obi is fighting Darth, his right hand is towards the top of the saber and his left is on the bottom.

Anyone have any good tips to make the hood look not so pointy when up. It won't lay nicely for me. I ended up pushing the pointy end inward, but it looks a little silly when looked at from certain angles.

you might be right now that I think about it. I'm gonna go do some searching.

Edit:

Found these. The point isn't sticking straight up, it's more back. I can't for the life of me get it to lay down. :lol

fc5bdd8c2adecdd793ebcb2b81d74dfe.jpg
Star-Wars.jpg

The Sideshow robes are a significant improvement. :clap

Yeah not sure what the logic was on HT fabric choice.

Thanks guys!

The SS robes are more accurate texture wise and at first I thought I was going to use them. But I ended up using the HT robes layered over some hemmed SS robes as I preferred the patches look. View attachment 219044

I was amazed that HT went to the trouble of adding all those patches -- there's actually a whole bunch of them, very impressive.

I definitely would have been fine with the HT robes knowing the cloak covers most of it, but as I said I had a spare SS robe laying around from years ago so I figured I'd give it go. Most of it will be covered up too once I get the cloak on.

Thanks guys!

I was amazed that HT went to the trouble of adding all those patches -- there's actually a whole bunch of them, very impressive.

I definitely would have been fine with the HT robes knowing the cloak covers most of it, but as I said I had a spare SS robe laying around from years ago so I figured I'd give it go. Most of it will be covered up too once I get the cloak on.

Is it just me or do the edges of the hood look too ripped?

Happy to say Old Ben is due to arrive Thursday. I just got Han and Chewie and broke down once I saw the Spooky15 code and nabbed Kenobi. Getting closer to the Star Wars set I want. Just need Bespin Luke, Boba Fett and C-3PO. Might could twist my arm if they make ESB Leia. Not interested in ANH Luke and Leia.

Probably means when Obi is fighting Darth, his right hand is towards the top of the saber and his left is on the bottom.

Anyone have any good tips to make the hood look not so pointy when up. It won't lay nicely for me. I ended up pushing the pointy end inward, but it looks a little silly when looked at from certain angles.
A little water works.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I've only just begun to collect 1/6 figures this past year. I had my eye on them for much longer than that, but I was never impressed enough with the head sculpts/paint job of the human characters to pull the trigger.

Once I did finally start to pick up a few releases, it was clones and other helmeted characters (Phase 2 Rex & Fives, along with one of the new HT Stormtroopers. And I even found a place still selling the SS Boba Fett figure).

This is my long, roundabout way of saying that this Ben Kenobi release represents the very first 1/6 figure with a human face (and no helmet) that I've ever purchased. I thought that it was that good in pictures/videos, that it made me decide that the time was finally right for me to dip my toe into the human likeness waters.

And in-hand? I think it's even better than the photos suggest. I know there's been some question about how the HT Kenobi might compare to the earlier SS Ben? Well, I've only ever seen the SS Kenobi in photos (and as I said, I know that once you have the figures in your hand, they often look better), but I think this new one looks better (though I admit that I've enjoyed seeing some wonderful custom repaints of the SS head that look just wonderful).

What a figure!

I know I'm still new to the community (and the 1/6 line, in particular), but I would say that if anyone is on the fence about this release? Pick it up if you can. It's a winner.

----------

Now if HT will just give us their version of the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker from ROTJ. :pray: Sideshow's version of that figure is a perfect example of why I couldn't get into these 1/6 figures for so long and I'd just love to see what Hot Toys could do with it.

"The current focus may be less OT, more The Force Awakens," you say? No problem. Just have HT deliver on a wonderful older, bearded Master Luke and I can wait a little while longer for the ROTJ version. :impatient:

Back