1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's odd that the shipper box would suffer that much damage. Those HT shippers are incredibly thick and sturdy. I haven't seen any shipping boxes that are heavier duty than those.

Having said that, it's still inexcusable that SSC is still shipping in those boxes, and have made a "pack out" a thing.

I bought old Ben from a comic book store (the only one) in my town. I think he looks fantastic.

011.jpg

Turns out, he's also a pretty rad dude.

010.jpg

So go Ben, and the Han and Chewie 2 pack in the last two days. I think Ben is one hell of a figure, overall he's about as good as you could hope for. I still think the likeness is a bit weak, but no doubt he's worth the pick up.

I particularly like the light-up saber, HT was able to get a very convincing effect w/o making the blade too thick or look weird when it's off. If all of the blades turn out this good I'll be one happy camper.

bd82f714-0af3-4536-9998-dbe21a0abcb9_zps8mjjlhng.jpg

Here's two quick comparison shots next to a customized version of the Sideshow figure. The Sideshow figure has been ported over to a HT body, the head has been repainted and the hands have been replaced. The rest is stock.

Side-by-side the HT definitely looks and feels more high-end. But, I think the inner robes on the HT are a bit too sheer, which doesn't quite fit my expectation of a coarse material. The HT head is definitely finer quality, but I still think the Sideshow (although a bit of a caricature) looks more like Alec Guinness. Also, not sure why the HT head has all that curl in the goatee area, I can't find any images of Ben's beard that look like that :lol

Apologies for the lack of futzing...
9dfbd1bb-2b84-4234-b8cf-f682e1861556_zpsi4w2gvri.jpg

853512d4-9eb6-4b29-8d51-803e990f303a_zpsruslbm40.jpg

At the end of the day if you had to decide between the two, I'd certainly go for the HT figure. Out of the box it's ready to go and will likely fit in better with the rest of the coming HT and even newer Sideshow figures. But if you have an Sideshow Ben, a new paint job, body and hands will go a long way to upping his game and I think the figure still looks bit more like Kenobi, just not as high-end.

I felt like this thread needed some more properly futzed pictures! The best thing you can do to make this guy look 100 times more accurate is correct the neckline on his white robes by pulling the left side to the right and slipping it under the right side, and then pulling the right side to the left, over the left side. Just Google pics of Ben to see how that works.

I think the Alec likeness is fantastic from certain angles, but he looks like Obi all day long to me. Check out the likeness in the second pic!

uploadfromtaptalk1445441416640.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445441458597.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Apologies for the lack of futzing...
9dfbd1bb-2b84-4234-b8cf-f682e1861556_zpsi4w2gvri.jpg

853512d4-9eb6-4b29-8d51-803e990f303a_zpsruslbm40.jpg

Finally a side-by-side. I do see the problem with the old Ben... mainly the bobblehead. Both have pros and cons, but likely the new Ben will fit in better with HT as you say.

I felt like this thread needed some more properly futzed pictures! The best thing you can do to make this guy look 100 times more accurate is correct the neckline on his white robes by pulling the left side to the right and slipping it under the right side, and then pulling the right side to the left, over the left side. Just Google pics of Ben to see how that works.

:lol

obi-wan_kenobi-223x300.jpg

Finally a side-by-side. I do see the problem with the old Ben... mainly the bobblehead. Both have pros and cons, but likely the new Ben will fit in better with HT as you say.

Funny thing is the HT head isn't much smaller than the Sideshow head, but the Sideshow face is longer as is the neck. I'll try popping the Sideshow head on the HT figure later on today to see how that looks together. But I think in the end I'll keep the two figures with their original parts.

Funny thing is the HT head isn't much smaller than the Sideshow head, but the Sideshow face is longer as is the neck. I'll try popping the Sideshow head on the HT figure later on today to see how that looks together. But I think in the end I'll keep the two figures with their original parts.

Would love to see that, as the SS turtleneck leaves much to be desired and doesn't help the compare.

Back