1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice figure. Thumbs up:

eede3c351e83ddccb77d4c7b79a906e3.png

9ea581d57eef5ce9ab759369199bf8bf.png

I don't understand criticism of this HS (?). Han yes, Luke definitely yes, but this is pretty good. Not a dead ringer, but it's very good IMO. :dunno

I don't understand criticism of this HS (?). Han yes, Luke definitely yes, but this is pretty good. Not a dead ringer, but it's very good IMO. :dunno

I think HT Kenobi is stunning. Even with the rather blank expression (which appears to be a broad stylistic decision with respect to likeness across the HT Star Wars line), when light catches it at specific angles, it is startlingly Alec Guinness.

I personally cannot understand the SS 1/6 Kenobi love: an impressive sculpt for its time, no doubt, but even when repainted it still has a stiff, doll-like appearance (particularly in profile), and a rather encephalitic forehead.

On its own, under neutral lighting, to me the HT Ben headsculpt just doesn't look a whole lot like Alec Guinness.

It's a hyper-realistically sculpted and ultra-lifelike painted head of an older man with white beard and hair that is fortunately always paired with a very nice rendition of Obi Wan's iconic Star Wars costume (well, not a huge fan of the HT inner "bathrobe") so there's never much question overall who it is.

There are certainly a few Guinness traits lurking in the HT sculpt that can be accentuated with harsh lighting from above, and aided by hood-up look, but this head on a generic business suit body few people would immediately pick as Alec Guinness or Ben Kenobi. Just an old guy with a white beard in a suit (and the hands of a 110 year old man if you also use the HT Ben hands.)

It's interesting when you see people who have done customs using iconic actor heads from other franchises - for example, Matrix's Hugo Weaving as a custom Imperial officer - it's sometimes a little distracting because you're like "it's Agent Smith as an Imperial!" because there's so much Weaving likeness.

But this HT Ben head would seriously have no problems in that area - it could be placed onto any custom and no one would say "it's Ben Kenobi as a ____!" - whereas you could argue the Sideshow Ben head, which IS oversized and outdated in so many ways, WOULD trigger that response simply because it has a lot of Obi/Alec likeness despite the somewhat awful detail/paint quality of the head.

But hey, it's all subjective and I agree - to each his own. Just my twenty cents.:lol

Just ordered this guy with a $25 off coupon + free shipping! Pretty excited to have him sometime in March... :lol

Obi-Wan is one of my favorite characters and I felt I needed him next to Vader.

On its own, under neutral lighting, to me the HT Ben headsculpt just doesn't look a whole lot like Alec Guinness.

It's a hyper-realistically sculpted and ultra-lifelike painted head of an older man with white beard and hair that is fortunately always paired with a very nice rendition of Obi Wan's iconic Star Wars costume (well, not a huge fan of the HT inner "bathrobe") so there's never much question overall who it is.

There are certainly a few Guinness traits lurking in the HT sculpt that can be accentuated with harsh lighting from above, and aided by hood-up look, but this head on a generic business suit body few people would immediately pick as Alec Guinness or Ben Kenobi. Just an old guy with a white beard in a suit (and the hands of a 110 year old man if you also use the HT Ben hands.)

It's interesting when you see people who have done customs using iconic actor heads from other franchises - for example, Matrix's Hugo Weaving as a custom Imperial officer - it's sometimes a little distracting because you're like "it's Agent Smith as an Imperial!" because there's so much Weaving likeness.

But this HT Ben head would seriously have no problems in that area - it could be placed onto any custom and no one would say "it's Ben Kenobi as a ____!" - whereas you could argue the Sideshow Ben head, which IS oversized and outdated in so many ways, WOULD trigger that response simply because it has a lot of Obi/Alec likeness despite the somewhat awful detail/paint quality of the head.

But hey, it's all subjective and I agree - to each his own. Just my twenty cents.:lol

My sentiments as well...nicely said.

Just ordered this guy with a $25 off coupon + free shipping! Pretty excited to have him sometime in March... :lol

Obi-Wan is one of my favorite characters and I felt I needed him next to Vader.

I ordered him on Dec 2 but with a $50 off offering and free shipping. He arrived last week and is now wrapped and waiting for Dec 25th for a 40+ man to unwrap and play with him!! I would have been a great Jedi because I have patience!!

FYI - Sold my SS ROTS for $100 and used the proceeds to make the HT purchase!!

Yeah it looks to me like HT got a lot of his surface details right, but the underlying shape of the head isn't quite right. The features aren't really sunken in enough (or pronounced enough) for someone of his age, and so as a result it looks more like a younger man wearing old age makeup.

The Sideshow head might be seriously lacking in realistic detail, but it at least captured that sunken-in old man look a whole lot better.

Because of the abundance of points of reference present in a bearded older man head sculpt, I'm going to predict that the upcoming Jnix version will be Mr. Shin's next Grand Slam Homer...

How do I remove the nametag attached to the base? I removed them from all other figures just fine. But Obi Wans seems stuck.

Lol. That no-one could even guess it's meant to be Sir Alec Guinness is just crazy talk.

Because of the abundance of points of reference present in a bearded older man head sculpt, I'm going to predict that the upcoming Jnix version will be Mr. Shin's next Grand Slam Homer...

Judging by his Luke I'm not holding thaaat high a hope. Would be nice to be proven wrong.

Judging by his Luke I'm not holding thaaat high a hope. Would be nice to be proven wrong.

Young Luke is a very difficult sculpt. He looks different in just about every frame of the movie, and if you miss on any one feature or nuance, the likeness drifts away. That's probably true of most smooth faced young man sculpts, but especially so for Luke, IMHO. With a bearded sculpt theres a lot of surface area that's hard to miss too badly if you have skill, and I think that taken alone will make the sculpt that much easier to dial in.

That said, you have to do a bit more searching to find the "sweet spots" in terms of viewing angle and perspective on Jnix Luke than we did on Jnix Han, but they are there...

YQeJsP.jpg

k5N2fo.jpg

On christmas day I finally opened my gift (just the box). Days after I had time to play around with the pose. I sold my ROTS OBI for $100 and used the proceeds to purchase this with the $50 coupon and free shipping.

Back