1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I'm new to the collecting scene.

I recently picked up a used Chewbacca from a Japanese website for around $320 USD. Was that a wise move? I'm also on the sideshow waitlist but I'm not sure what the chances on those are really like. Do these things keep their value or would have been wise to just wait a year or two and see if a new model comes out or if this one would have dropped in price?

After Chewie went on WL and was sold out at all the online sellers I've searched through (this was after Christmas), the cheapest I saw him was around $340 from a Japanese seller via Amazon, but I waited till the next day and it was gone. So IMO, I think the roughly $80 to $100 premium over the original retail price is still pretty cheap compared to the crazy prices out there now...that is unless he gets restocked or if the WL converts for you. If that happens, you can always get your waitlisted Chewie and keep him for trade or sale down the line.

After Chewie went on WL and was sold out at all the online sellers I've searched through (this was after Christmas), the cheapest I saw him was around $340 from a Japanese seller via Amazon, but I waited till the next day and it was gone. So IMO, I think the roughly $80 to $100 premium over the original retail price is still pretty cheap compared to the crazy prices out there now...that is unless he gets restocked or if the WL converts for you. If that happens, you can always get your waitlisted Chewie and keep him for trade or sale down the line.

Thanks for the quick reply. If the waitlist does go through I would probably end up trading it. I hate flipping things for a profit. It just never seemed right to me. I'd trade on the forum but I think I need to be better known here first haha

On the face? Haven't seen any pics of anyone doing that.

I've done it. Same as the body. I have yet to do any kid of futzing and the head isn't attached to the body at the moment. Maybe I'll take a photo, but YMMV in comparisons because I didn't take any before.

I have a Chewie so I have a before reference. I am interested to see what results you've gotten with it on the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the the standard rubbing alcohol I picked up at Costco. Percentage may vary from brand to brand and store to store. Any CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots, Walmart, (any Pharmacy) etc. will have Isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

isopropyl-alcohol-psp_f.png

It's the the standard rubbing alcohol I picked up at Costco. Percentage may vary from brand to brand and store to store. Any CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots, Walmart, (any Pharmacy) etc. will have Isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

ok thanks. did you use a cotton swab or q-tip to chewies face

For people concerned with the rubbing alcohol, it's nothing to really be concerned with. It won't damage anything. If you get the 99% it evaporates so quickly that nothing will be left behind. It's the reason why it's used to clean the contacts on electronics. Remove the dirt and grim build up but leave no wetness behind. Just be gentle and everything will be fine.

Towel so far. I just did some testing mainly to make sure the alcohol didn't cause any issues with the finish - I started on the back under the legs and when it worked I tried the shoulders, thighs and a little bit on the head. Used some to loosed up the fur on the lower jaw/chin. Need to be careful on the head because the paint and likely some clear coat are what help to define some of the shape (sides of face especially). I need to do a bit more under better lighting and with more time.

Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

I don't think it's necessarily concern about damage, it's interest in seeing the results. We've seen tons of excellent paint ups with various methods--acrylics, chalk, make-up. But as far as I know nobody has shown a pic of how it looks when rubbing alcohol is used on the face to lighten the fur, so I'm not sure why anyone else would try that when we've seen some really nice results using other methods.

YMMV, but I don't care one way or the other whether anyone tries it. I'm too busy to take photos ATM and really have no plans to do so in the short term.

I stated some facts about this product because no one else had - all the coloring everyone complains about on this figure is paint that's been sprayed on. If someone's fine with adding more paint or makeup or whatever they want to use on top of the black paint that's already there, that's their business.

WRT really nice results, there have also been plenty of people who haven't done **** to color their figure and made some very nice poses and pictures.

Back