1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No point. Sideshow don't replace boxes.
It's an interesting point - you'd think it would impact the resale value down the line.
Too lazy to check who, but someone in this thread said they had their art box replaced (and I just applied for the same). Sideshow doesn't consider the shipper to be of any value but I believe they would rather replace the art box than have a customer return a product and ship a new one out. I'll advise how my inquiry goes.

I may do this pastel thing as well. but do I need to be skilled in coloring to do this? like layering and stuff? I understand applying shadows to drawings as a basis. is it good enough or should I go youtube a specific tutorial?

Good job to everyone with their chewbacca prime version!

I just used dry brush of acrylic paint.. I think some of the ones I see in this thread are going too far it has to be just around his brow and bridge of his nose and input s bit of black around his eyes too

I may do this pastel thing as well. but do I need to be skilled in coloring to do this? like layering and stuff? I understand applying shadows to drawings as a basis. is it good enough or should I go youtube a specific tutorial?

Good job to everyone with their chewbacca prime version!

Nah it doesn't require anything too intricate like that. Just dab the color onto the fur until it looks light enough for your taste, use a small brush or something to blend it in more if need be, and you're done.

I just used dry brush of acrylic paint.. I think some of the ones I see in this thread are going too far it has to be just around his brow and bridge of his nose and input s bit of black around his eyes too

image.jpeg

Nah it doesn't require anything too intricate like that. Just dab the color onto the fur until it looks light enough for your taste, use a small brush or something to blend it in more if need be, and you're done.

Sounds easy enough. Hope I do well when figure arrives next week.
Thank you davejames!

That's some detailed work Raymondf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's my go at the lightening. Went the pastels route and tried to keep him Ep4 looking.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Han thread...figured both was ok:

Finally got my 2-pack today. Man, I am blown away by both of these figures! Chewie looked pretty good just out of the box, but the more you work with the hair and comb it out, the better he looks. He is a little dark, but he does seems to have lightened up a little while messing with the fur. Zero issues with Chewie but Han did have a frozen left elbow joint. Had to break out the old boiling water trick to loosen it up but he is fine now. Thank the maker! I did not want to have to send him back! I'm really, really happy with these two...probably my favorite 1/6 figures. For what it's worth, Han's head sculpt looks way better in hand IMO. Here's a real quick shot I took of the pair, looking forward to spending some quality time with them this weekend so more pics in better light to follow...

Here's my go at the lightening. Went the pastels route and tried to keep him Ep4 looking.

That looks great. Are people using the "oil pastel" (like a crayon, but most say "water soluble" on them) or the chalk/powdery type?

That looks great. Are people using the "oil pastel" (like a crayon, but most say "water soluble" on them) or the chalk/powdery type?

I went to an art shop and told the lady what I needed it for and she recommended this brand; Schmincke.

It's like a very soft/chalky stick. Quite "brittle," for lack of a better word. Very easy to apply with a fine brush.

Apparently they sell a lot of these to people who have stains on their carpets because it blends/absorbs so well with these types of materials - both natural and synthetic.

I've done more coloring than that last photo, and man can you make it really sing!!!

Apologies for the crappy iPhone pic - it's getting dark here so I'll pull the camera out and do better shots tomorrow.

(Hopefully) you can see how you can layer different colors around the eyes, middle of the lips, etc to "contour" the face to more resemble Chewie.

I'm going to keep playing because with patience I think this thing will be extraordinary!

Back