Hot Toys ESB FETT tips tricks and other cool mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really loving seeing the Marmit bucket getting its due!:clap

I got these 3D printed parts a year ago for my Pre-Pro Fett, but never found the time to paint them up. So I?m using them for this project instead.

It?s an accurate chin cup for the helmet, and an accurate, working, 1/6 replica of the US diving belt buckle used for the jetpack harness.

e28e5c83c1d17c76f45b0b293923581b.plist

bf7933da84c4c424109b7ec237ca99ee.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get those from? I'd love to get a few of those. I scratch-built my US buckle from styrene but would love to get one of those.

Really loving seeing the Marmit bucket getting its due!:clap

Where did you get those from? I'd love to get a few of those. I scratch-built my US buckle from styrene but would love to get one of those.

Me too! This Marmit helmet is really much nicer than one might expect. Hats of to the sculptor. I actually found little details that I thought were improvised, that turned out to be 100% accurate, stuff Hot Toys completely missed.

The belt buckle and actually every one of the 3D printed parts I have shown you guys are all from RafalWorks on Shapeways. Really nice dude too. He actually had me send photos of my WIP Fett next to a ruler so that he could correctly scale all the parts for me, which I thought was amazing.

Anyone use Archive-X paints? I want to know if I should wait the eternity for for them to develop their acrylics, or just start buying the enamels which are already in stock . I know the benefits and drawbacks of both paints, but I don?t know if enamels will damage the plastics that Hot Toys uses. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also do you need to primer 3D printed parts before using enamels? Filament or resin?

I?m leaning toward the enamels because that?s what ILM used in pre-production. And that?s what ArchiveX has in stock.

Hi all...I don't know if I missed it or not...On replacing the tubing on the gauntlet with braided wire, what size wire would I want to use? And did anyone already do this?....Second, the yellow shoulder and knee armor...Do you find the HT stuff more accurate than the SS?

Thanks

So, I got the MinuteFett ESB helmet file off Etsy, and it?s gorgeous on my computer screen.

I?m also getting close to ready to use my 3D printer. Just learning Chitubox, how to make optimal rafts and supports.

My biggest hurtle is figuring out how to scale the helmet down to 1/6 in Chitubox. The scale settings, are expressed In millimeters and as a percentage, and I?m not very bright when it comes to the mathematics of converting measurements and stuff like that, and the fact that 1/6 scale figures aren?t always true 1/6 scale only complicates things. So I still have a little research and learning to do.

Man this helmet looks amazing though! It?s way more warped and wonky than I thought.

c14cf6f02bce81261994619f9a0251af.jpg

8ea1a8163aeb6ea39d90bbbc2db1780d.jpg

If Chitubox allows for percentages scale it to 16.67% for true 1/6. The only unknown is whether it's accurate in the file. It's very, very close to the Hasbro I know that for sure and that is based on the original so it's a safe bet.

Great to see you working on the MinuteFett helmet in 1/6, WTC!

I've been working on my Fett for the past couple of weeks as well, making steady progress.
My first priority was getting the proportions right. I'm still not 100% there yet, but I think that I almost have it.
Everything else is in various stages of completion. Still many things to do, such as working on the gauntlets, reworking the rifle, dyeing the medicom pockets, working on some new hands, etc. And I will paint the armor in the end. Archive X just got their new acrylics in, so I decided to get some of those to match the paint as closely as possible.
Getting a more accurate helmet for this would be the final step to completion in the end.

Here a quick shot of my current progress, doing a costume and proportions test.

IMG_5527_2_small.jpg

Boba Fett proportions figure 3.jpg

Archive X just got their new acrylics in, so I decided to get some of those to match the paint as closely as possible.

Nice work.

I got the preorder for the full Archive-X acrylics line. I was actually the first. Guy emailed me after I placed my preorder telling me that they were just testing the preorder page at the moment I placed my order LOL!

Finally got my build plate leveled for my Saturn, and have spent the day getting educated on printer and support settings.

Got the screen accurate helmet all supported and ready to hopefully get it printed tomorrow.

I just can?t shake the feeling that there will be a failure as this is my first time printing anything. Either way it?ll be a learning experience.

c6a16d63f88a2661cc12db4e7133cd52.jpg

Great to see you working on the MinuteFett helmet in 1/6, WTC!

I've been working on my Fett for the past couple of weeks as well, making steady progress.
My first priority was getting the proportions right. I'm still not 100% there yet, but I think that I almost have it.
Everything else is in various stages of completion. Still many things to do, such as working on the gauntlets, reworking the rifle, dyeing the medicom pockets, working on some new hands, etc. And I will paint the armor in the end. Archive X just got their new acrylics in, so I decided to get some of those to match the paint as closely as possible.
Getting a more accurate helmet for this would be the final step to completion in the end.

Here a quick shot of my current progress, doing a costume and proportions test.

View attachment 509978

View attachment 509977

Nice work so far. Are you going to try to fix the visor squint?

Also, is there a "translation guide" for decoding what each Archive X color equates to in the SW world? I recognize some, but how do you solve the puzzle of "I want the green of the ESB chest armor" or "the maroon/red of the ROTJ Fett wrist gauntlets" and decide which archive X paint you select?

Finally got my build plate leveled for my Saturn, and have spent the day getting educated on printer and support settings.

Got the screen accurate helmet all supported and ready to hopefully get it printed tomorrow.

I just can?t shake the feeling that there will be a failure as this is my first time printing anything. Either way it?ll be a learning experience.

How exciting! Great to see you taking this plunge. I have been watching from the sidelines of 3D printing but the time is coming that I will need to take the plunge too. I'm not hugely tech/computer savvy but the benefits are gamechanging.

And are you doing a resin print for this one or the regular 3D printer?

Nice work.

I got the preorder for the full Archive-X acrylics line. I was actually the first. Guy emailed me after I placed my preorder telling me that they were just testing the preorder page at the moment I placed my order LOL!

Nice! How is your progress going with the rest of Boba (other than the helmet)?

So awesome. :clap

Nice work so far. Are you going to try to fix the visor squint?

Also, is there a "translation guide" for decoding what each Archive X color equates to in the SW world? I recognize some, but how do you solve the puzzle of "I want the green of the ESB chest armor" or "the maroon/red of the ROTJ Fett wrist gauntlets" and decide which archive X paint you select?

Thanks. I'm hoping to either obtain a 1:6 print of the MinuteFett helmet as well somehow, or alternatively continue customizing the pre-pro Fett helmet to be more accurate, where I would improve the visor squint, yeah. For now, I'm focusing on finishing everything but the helmet though, because that was a huge roadblock for me.

Regarding the colors, I had quite a hard time figuring out which ones to get from Archive X. I ended up getting 8 (of the 15) colours from the Fett helmet set, plus 3 more.
My main sources for which colours to pick were these three posts:

In the end, I will need to experiment a bit to get the colors that work for me, though particularly the second link will hopefully help a lot with the helmet.
Here all the colors I got, in case that helps (in bold the ones that are not part of the Fett set, but I thought would be important for the body, gauntlets, and even helmet, if you follow the guide from roger12RAMJET):
  • 004 Light Grime
  • 008 SP Lark Dark Grey
  • 009 SP Lettering Grey
  • 011 Engine Black
  • 013 Grimy Black
  • 020 Rust
  • 021 SP Armour Yellow
  • 026 S&H Caboose Red
  • 029 Light Green
  • 030 Dark Green
  • 031 Weyerhaeuser Green

While important for 100% accuracy, I decided to skip Earth Light, because I think I can get a close enough colour of his right ear with the Citadel colours I have here. It's a bit of an arbitrary cut-off, but in the end it depends on how far you are willing to go. Getting the complete set like WTC would of course be best, but I want to limit my spending budget on figures a bit.

Back