Hot Toys ESB FETT tips tricks and other cool mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got all of my 3D printed parts in, and they are awesome!

The casio circuit board for the keyholes is SMALLL, but I still think it will do the trick, I just need to paint it so that the details pop.

The Rangefinder is fantastic, you can see the clearness of it really well, but it's not like glass which is perfect.

Circuit Board 1.jpgCircuit Board 2.jpgCircuit Board 3.jpg

Rangefinder 1.jpg

I had to really clean the waxy gunk from inside the jetpack beacon. I used a needle, my tiniest drill bit, and some isopropyl alcohol. It did the trick! Before and after pics below. The Scale is perfect as well.

I was going to wait till tomorrow to do the light test, but I got impatient.

Long story short,

HOLY CRAP, IT WORKS!!!!!

Beacon 6.jpgBeacon 7.jpg

Beacon 8.jpg

Beacon 9.jpgBeacon 10.jpgBeacon 11.jpg

Nice!!!!
I am really liking that rangefinder clear piece. I might have to pick that up.

Yeah, I?m really pleased. I didn?t even know it was clear till I started this project.

I keep finding little details I never noticed before with this costume. You watch a movie for 40 years and obsess over every detail, and still discover new things all the time.

I love Star Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's so special!!! Love that detail

Thanks!

Details Supreme :clap
Very interested to see the completed figure :D

Thanks! Me too!

I work on it as often as I can, but there's so much to do to get this figure looking it's best, and the helmet is so much work to get right. After the helmet the right gauntlet, and jetpack modifications are done, it'll be smooth sailing, and I should be able to wrap up this project quickly.

Yeah, really happy to see Fett get the WTC treatment!:clap

I love the backpack lamp, but is there a way to display the fig so you'll see it? Maybe slightly to the side. I did a TON of work getting my Dengar backpack very close to accurate but it's super tough to display him in a way that you see it.:lol

I love the backpack lamp, but is there a way to display the fig so you'll see it? Maybe slightly to the side. I did a TON of work getting my Dengar backpack very close to accurate but it's super tough to display him in a way that you see it.:lol

And I sincerely hope you'll be casting up that helmet before you dive into painting it. You might get some takers around here.:wink1:

Thanks! I'm having so much fun working on it.

Like most stuff with light up features in my collection the lights will be off most of the time, I'll turn them on for photos, or when we have guests over to the house. And I'll turn them on when I just want to appreciate it. It's more about trying my best to get it as close to accurate as my abilities allow me. And the price to get the printed beacon, and the LED light kit was only around $30, so for that price I have to try!

I've never made a cast of anything in my life. If it turns out as nice as it looks in my imagination, I may try to get it laser scanned. I want to grab one of those Elegoo Mars 3D resin printers. So if it looks good, and laser scanning doesn't cost too much, I will make prints to sell. The resin printers print at a MUCH higher resolution, so you don't have those pesky steps on the print where it should be smooth, resin printers just make it smooth.

And I sincerely hope you'll be casting up that helmet before you dive into painting it. You might get some takers around here.:wink1:

The helmet wasn't fitting together quite right, so I had to disassemble the whole thing and do more filing and make a few little tweaks. Below are some pics of the adjusted helmet taped together so I can get a sense of where it is at currently. There's too many parts to hold it together with my fingers to get a good look at it.

What continues to encourage me is the fact that even in this super rough and unfinished state I'm seeing Fett's likeness so much more than I did with the stock Hot Toys figure. Trying to get as much done as I can while I'm stuck at home teleworking during this whole COVID-19 mess.

Rough Fett 1.jpgRough Fett 2.jpg

Hope you guys don't mind all my progress updates. I love seeing the WIP pics from all of you so much. I get so many great ideas and inspiration from all of you, I'm just trying to return the favor. :duff

Great work you're doing here, WTC. :clap Your eye for detail is astounding.
Boba Fett is still on my to-do list, so every bit of inspiration is very welcome.

Hope you guys don't mind all my progress updates. I love seeing the WIP pics from all of you so much. I get so many great ideas and inspiration from all of you, I'm just trying to return the favor. :duff

There can never be enough WIP shots IMO. :lecture

Great work you're doing here, WTC. :clap Your eye for detail is astounding.
Boba Fett is still on my to-do list, so every bit of inspiration is very welcome.

There can never be enough WIP shots IMO. :lecture

Thanks!
There?s still a lot left to do, so there?ll be plenty of WIP pics. to come! I?ll be documenting all the progress here.

Have any of you used Archive-X paints?

I want to buy some but the Boba Fett paint set has been ?coming soon? for weeks, and everything else is sold out. But on the FB page it seems like people are buying the paints. It?s confusing.

Thanks! I'm having so much fun working on it.

Like most stuff with light up features in my collection the lights will be off most of the time, I'll turn them on for photos, or when we have guests over to the house. And I'll turn them on when I just want to appreciate it. It's more about trying my best to get it as close to accurate as my abilities allow me. And the price to get the printed beacon, and the LED light kit was only around $30, so for that price I have to try!

I've never made a cast of anything in my life. If it turns out as nice as it looks in my imagination, I may try to get it laser scanned. I want to grab one of those Elegoo Mars 3D resin printers. So if it looks good, and laser scanning doesn't cost too much, I will make prints to sell. The resin printers print at a MUCH higher resolution, so you don't have those pesky steps on the print where it should be smooth, resin printers just make it smooth.

Yeah I have seen the videos on that Elogoo but you do have deal with all the resin toxicity/fumes and curing considerations/problems though (soft parts, areas inside that can't be cured properly, vats of isopropyl etc.) I really hate working with resin, but yeah the print quality seems better, much better in fact.

Yeah I have seen the videos on that Elogoo but you do have deal with all the resin toxicity/fumes and curing considerations/problems though (soft parts, areas inside that can't be cured properly, vats of isopropyl etc.) I really hate working with resin, but yeah the print quality seems better, much better in fact.

I hear ya.

I?ve read a lot about the smell. I have no experience with 3D printers so this will be the experience that sets the template or the experience of printing to me, so I?m not to worried about it. I imagine if you are used to filament printing all the resin stuff probably isn?t very appealing.

Ultimately the low price and above all the quality of the final product is what I?m most concerned with and resin seems to be the way to go when it come to the resolution of the print, so for me it?s the only way to go, and the really low price (comparatively) is just the icing on the cake. I?ll probably be getting one within the next six months or so.

I just had to cut and carve and sand these tiny little grooves into the inside back of the dome of the helmet for the styrene strips that bridge and join the Medicom dome to the Sideshow back panel. I needed to make allowance for being able to push the back maybe a millimeter forward because there’s a little lip or ledge where the red band goes around the helmet.

The dome of the top of the helmet is flush with the green lower part of the helmet, and before I made the little grooves, the dome was more flush with the red band, leaving no edge like there’s supposed to be. Now there’s the appropriate amount of ledge.

Here’s some pics of the work I just did.

Interior Progress - 1.jpg
Interior Progress - 2.jpg
Interior Progress - 3.jpg
Interior Progress - 4.jpg

I did some work yesterday on creating a bezel on the inside of the helmet for the visor.

I was nervous as hell the whole time. Vinyl is soft and one slip would put the hobby knife right through the helmet, or worse, my fingers (again).

What I?m happiest about is that I was able to create the narrow thickness around the edge of the visor port where the lens attaches. That area was sort of thick after cutting out the stock, vinyl visor.

5aeceea6d24b2e6b6a719569ef85f0db.plist

23ee70be50a0a86d41435c49e6989809.jpg

4c2c331aef75726f1d40c8479e313bd5.plist

d3518d864b99b90b7849af273f379258.plist

46e73d55c8817e8d6097be1442891b56.plist

e5129e1b732011b933020787bf39d310.plist

da06cd6b373a645a6130a001018dd9d3.plist

I got these 3D printed parts a year ago for my Pre-Pro Fett, but never found the time to paint them up. So I?m using them for this project instead.

It?s an accurate chin cup for the helmet, and an accurate, working, 1/6 replica of the US diving belt buckle used for the jetpack harness.

e28e5c83c1d17c76f45b0b293923581b.plist

bf7933da84c4c424109b7ec237ca99ee.plist

Back