Hot Toys ESB FETT tips tricks and other cool mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see you working on the MinuteFett helmet in 1/6, WTC!

I've been working on my Fett for the past couple of weeks as well, making steady progress.
My first priority was getting the proportions right. I'm still not 100% there yet, but I think that I almost have it.
Everything else is in various stages of completion. Still many things to do, such as working on the gauntlets, reworking the rifle, dyeing the medicom pockets, working on some new hands, etc. And I will paint the armor in the end. Archive X just got their new acrylics in, so I decided to get some of those to match the paint as closely as possible.
Getting a more accurate helmet for this would be the final step to completion in the end.

Here a quick shot of my current progress, doing a costume and proportions test.

View attachment 509978

View attachment 509977

Lookin good... man in a suit!

Finally got my build plate leveled for my Saturn, and have spent the day getting educated on printer and support settings.

Got the screen accurate helmet all supported and ready to hopefully get it printed tomorrow.

I just can?t shake the feeling that there will be a failure as this is my first time printing anything. Either way it?ll be a learning experience.

c6a16d63f88a2661cc12db4e7133cd52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks great. Hope the prints come out...

and possibly some extras for sale :monkey3

Did you change the thickness? If you just scale it down and hit print it will be less than a mm thick and you'll most likely get a failed print.

Did you change the thickness? If you just scale it down and hit print it will be less than a mm thick and you'll most likely get a failed print.

No, I didn?t increase the wall thickness. It did fail, but it was because.

1.) I added WAY too many supports LOL. They ended up fusing together in places. Ironically I was nervous it would fail if it didn?t have enough supports.

2.) I missed some supports on the inside of the cheek plate, and it bowed on the verticals part, right where his nose would be behind the helmet. It actually looks sort of cool. I may keep it for painting practice, and use it as an off camera variant helmet for a different Mandalorian.

I think your right though. If I had the correct amount of support it would still have failed because of the wall thickness though.

I?ll upload some pics later when I get home.

I can see no tool in Chitubox for increasing wall thickness. You can do it if you are making a drain hole, but that?s the only place I see that ability, and of course, no drain holes are needed for the helmet.

What I may do is to print the version with the visor, so I can use fewer supports, and try to make a small drain hole in the middle of the ?T? then I may be able to increase the wall thickness.

What wall thickness would you suggest?

So tried to remove the walls of supports from the paper thin helmet, and as expected, it was a train wreck. It's discouraging when you spend weeks of research, and a TON of cash, to realize there's a HUGE learning curve with 3D printing. This stuff is not as straight forward as it looks. Not by a long shot.

Back to the drawing board.

Sorry to hear it didn't work. My buddy who knows a bit about 3D printing said that's always the problem with using 1:1 stuff for 1/6 - the wall thickness is like paper and it takes a lot of tweaking to get it thickened.

Alright. I found some free software called Meshmixer. It can increase the wall thickness of a file. You can only go up to 2mm thick, for something 1/1 scale, so hopefully that makes the 1/6 scale version thick enough.

Im printing everything again now (with half the supports I used the first time) ill post an update when its finished.

Second time?s the charm!

Came out great this time. The helmet is still thin but the adjustments I made with the new software added just the right amount of strength for it to work, and since it?s thin, it easily fits over a head sculpt.

So happy with how it turned out.

a6b290ec11dcc838a797d517cfe6c0f9.jpg

86d7d1fe537ea13be575385d254ecf4b.jpg

28c2dec105843ee207ae5186b1237eef.jpg

0737cb4de28eb948d0936abb00caa6e9.jpg

That came out really well! Man, I wish I had my own printer. I'd be printing EVERYTHING!

Scaling it down to 16.67% is perfect. It looks much more accurate than the Hot Toys HS.

And you can see in. The comparison pic below that it?s an exact scale match to the Marmit helmet.

bdee5f2bf1f13364e8d566fca0adc924.jpg

bc1d3cd05e7ec0a817bb92ac6a0eb94b.jpg

Looks fantastic.

How?d the ears and rangefinder turn out? In for 2 copies, if that?s the route you take. You should also think about scaling it up for the 1/4 scale figures. I?ve purchased several from a trusted vendor, but it was through Shapeways and the thinness/scan lines made it unworkable.

Did a test fit. Glued the parts that looked the weakest, onto the weakest helmet, saving the better parts for a possible custom, or for paint practice.

Looks pretty good. The right ear cover needs some sanding and filling putty for a better fit.

In the profile pics of the helmet, the scale looks perfect, but in the face forward pic. The helmet looks like it might be slightly over scaled. It?s really hard to tell though, since the helmets are all huge in SW.

ac42ddac30db0974067dbf693adb2fcc.jpg

7e164da5e190e8a4638a44e8349317c7.jpg

6c174fd2a74ef9600fe0f9296aea8171.jpg

Nice! Agree, especially in that shot from his left side it looks perfect.
Getting sizing and proportions right on Fett is a hard one, yeah. I always saw him as this lanky guy, but after spending hours studying screenshots, I find his shoulders are quite broad. But then depending on the angle (and probably camera & lens used), his helmet either looks in proportion of quite oversized.

I'm making slow and steady process on my Fett as well. Changed up the upper body and upper arms again, resewed the upper arm sleeves and ankles some more, made some new wookie braids, and did some other small things here and there.
I still need to redye the belt pockets, and do the rifle, gauntlets, & hands, and repaint the armor. My Archive X acrylics shipped, so I can start on the gauntlets soon.

IMG_5559_2_small.jpg

Back