Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

@WTC: I usually find wires in capes are hard to pull off for a relaxed pose. I'll remake the inner robe anyway, and then experiment some more with stitches here and there to create some natural looking folds.

Cool, I can’t wait to see the progress! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vader people... I need some help!! I screwed up and lost the cape chain from my vader!!! help!!! does anyone have a 3D file that I can get printed or something!? anyone have any ideas?!?!?

Hi! I just got mg R1 Darth and I need a little help with something.

I also have the ANH V1 Vader and now I’m having a hard time fitting the R1 Glove hands to the ANH V1.

Any tips regarding this? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

hey Vader people... I need your help!!! I need a replacement black cape chain for ANH vader... anyone?!? can someone help me??

I have an ESB Vader and like the LED sabre effect, but the combination of a tiny switch and inflexible glove makes it too fiddly to bother with. Is the sabre arm on ANH Vader any easier to use?

Hi! I just got mg R1 Darth and I need a little help with something.

I also have the ANH V1 Vader and now I’m having a hard time fitting the R1 Glove hands to the ANH V1.

Any tips regarding this? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I remember it being difficult to pop the wrist pegs into the gloves. Only had one attempt then just pushed them on without the pegs and they’ve held by friction ever since.

I remember it being difficult to pop the wrist pegs into the gloves. Only had one attempt then just pushed them on without the pegs and they’ve held by friction ever since.

Managed to just do to the same at first but now after some futzing and attempts I had the sleeves tucked in properly inside the gloves with the two pegs in the gloves. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was hoping somebody would have advice on how to make your own cape chain. I have the HT one, but it seems kind of a waste to take that apart for the small piece of plastic I'll hardly see on display (since I'm going with the chain underneath mask look).
Or I just answered my own question and I don't need an accurate one in the first place...:lol

I think I'm finally finished with my ANH Vader. :)

I polished his dome today and attached it with a magnet. And I made a new inner robe recently.

Took advantage of a nice sunset today to take some shots. Will take some full body shots, and some comparisons with my kaiyodo ROTJ custom soon.

IMG_7789_3_small.jpg

IMG_7758_2_small.jpg

IMG_7789_3_small2.jpg

IMG_7735_3_small.jpg

IMG_7807_2_small.jpg

Those who were interested in a Prowse head then I've talked with Anthrapoid a bit regarding the Prowse head connected with my scaled Vader project which Sean Dabbs is going to finish up soon. He was okay with me posting about it here. We are doing exact 1:6 scale, which may not fit the Hot Toys / Sideshow stock figures, so either he could do that version or if there is enough interest, perhaps Sean is cool with doing two sized versions. All depends on how things work out.

There's more about our Prowse head in my thread in the customs section.

Those who were interested in a Prowse head then I've talked with Anthrapoid a bit regarding the Prowse head connected with my scaled Vader project which Sean Dabbs is going to finish up soon. He was okay with me posting about it here. We are doing exact 1:6 scale, which may not fit the Hot Toys / Sideshow stock figures, so either he could do that version or if there is enough interest, perhaps Sean is cool with doing two sized versions. All depends on how things work out.

There's more about our Prowse head in my thread in the customs section.
Here are portions of the pm response I sent to 'Too Much Garlic' regarding the David Prowse head sculpt:

"I have been working on so many different things, and the Prowse head has been put a bit lower on my list. Not because I prefer to do the other projects first, but because I have to make a difficult decision about it; let me explain:
We all know the HT Vader is too big and tall. Many people have shortened their Vader by substituting a new body, and making other adjustments. The question I keep asking myself is, should I make the head in scale with the tall body as it is, OR should I make it in scale with the shortened version? If I make the head a perfect 1/6 scale, it will look too small sitting on the shoulders of the stock HT body with the full costume.

For me personally, I plan to make the head match the scale of the existing HT body-- which means it will be noticeably larger than the other 1/6 heads on my shelf. If I did it in true 1/6 scale, and shortened the body to match the scale of the head, then the helmet will look too big. A lot of people have shortened their body, and a lot haven't... I think the only real solution is to make too different sizes."
__________________________________________________ _____

So that's the delemma. After taking some careful measurements, I have determined the following:

1) A head sculpt that matches the existing HT body size would be about the same size as the Sideshow Han Solo head. If any of you own that figure, you'll know what I mean.

2) A perfect 1/6 scale Prowse head WILL be noticeably too small for the stock HT body and costume.

3) If you shortened your Vader to be correctly scaled in height by using a shorter body, the HT helmet WILL appear too large in relation. (That's the only reason I decided not to shorten mine.)

THEREFORE:
I hope the 3D maker will consider printing two different sizes.
If you compare the size of the Sideshow Han Solo head to the HT Han Solo head, the difference is minor- but very noticeable. The difference in size between the two proposed Prowse heads would be about the same ratio.

Look at the photo below, you can see that David Prowse's head is only very slightly wider than, and the same height as, that of Peter Cushing- surprising, but true. The point is, for those of us who decided not to shorten the HT body, a perfect 1/6 scale Prowse head on top would look too small... like Beatlejuice with his shrunken head.
I'm actually glad someone has decided to do a 3D print, as opposed to doing it the 'old fashioned way' like me. As I get older, my eyesight and manual dexterity are suffering a bit.
95ff53a71ef53324dea45368f62a1d70.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
You can't really compare the two Han sculpts like that as they are not angled the same.

I'll leave the sizing of the Prowse head to Marko Haase, who's the client and Sean Dabbs who is going to finish it up. So whatever people and they want is the size or sizes that will be made. Being a digital sculpt it is really easy to print out different sizes to see what fits the HT and Sideshow pieces best or the modded versions. It will all be figured out depending on what is preferred. :)

Yes, I know they are not sitting at the same angle; it's a general illustration of my suggested size ratio. That said, the Sideshow Han Solo head DOES appear to be the correct size that would be required for a Prowse head to fit the HT body. That's really the point I was making with that pic. I own the Sideshow Solo, and the HT Vader; I removed Vader's head and checked the Solo head in its place- it looks to be the perfect size. (and it helps to adjust the shoulder bells to make the shoulders less broad. The head size looks even better that way.)

Last edited:
Back