1/6 Hot Toys - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: Lando Calrissian (Bespin version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here we go with the lists.

But you could definitely add in there Boushh Leia. I'd like that.

And also X-Wing Luke. Although I do already have the SS version (with helmet on !!)

I'd like a redo of good old 77 Luke. Also, I would love to see a figure of George similar to their Stan Lee figure.

Ha yeah George would be cool. The funny thing is Hot Toys did an unlicensed George as one of their first figures in 2000, before they got popular.

Kind of ironic actually.

https://www.cooltoyreview.com/HotToys_GeorgeLucas.asp

unnamed-2.jpg

I'd go for young and old versions.

Interesting that during the Pulsecon panel last night, Hasbro have added a 50th anniversary Lucasfilm logo to their 2021 Black Series archive packaging. Might see a cool George figure to some degree next year.

What's left:

• Bespin Han
  • Hoth Han
  • Carbonite Han
  • Bespin Escape Leia
  • Bespin Luke
  • Dagobah Luke
  • Dagobah R2
  • Hoth Luke
  • C3PO
  • Chewbacca with BD C3PO
  • Stormtrooper

Long shots:

• IG-88
  • Snowtrooper Commander

Yeah along with Bespin Han and chewie I can see a few of those being realistic.

Stuff like carbonite han I think we're more likely to get some binders thrown in with Bespin Han and call it close enough. Or same with a potential ROTJ Han. Dagobah luke, same thing. A set of dirty clothes thrown in with bespin luke 2.0, but thats about it.

A stormtrooper seems like a lock. They tend to give those a go every couple years. Makes sense. A stormtrooper will always sell.

Outside of that I'd say chances on the rest are pretty dismal. Though I wish that weren't so.

I?m sure Stan did it first but when I saw this George figure I couldn?t help think he looked like some other people.
f467ed60f712a6b7f88f4bc9cc05189c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I think those are the only possible releases from esb. Maybe rerelease the regular snow trooper.

[...]

The series was made for hot toys. Aside from the child, not one head sculpt in the season 1 releases. Hopefully esb han and Chewbacca can sneak in this year and get Released in 2027.

I think snowtroopers will definitely get re-released. Now with new box!

It's odd; Hot Toys loves to crank out those faceless sculpts but they're at their best when they nail those realistic actor portraits.

So here we go with the lists.

Always! :lecture

But you could definitely add in there Boushh Leia. I'd like that. And also X-Wing Luke. Although I do already have the SS version (with helmet on !!)

Ah yes -- that was an ESB list. I think they will do Boushh but could take years. Same with X-Wing Luke.

I'd like a redo of good old 77 Luke. Also, I would love to see a figure of George similar to their Stan Lee figure.

The single most disappointing figure for me in the line. I really tried to get behind it but in the end I sold him off.

Yeah along with Bespin Han and chewie I can see a few of those being realistic.

Stuff like carbonite han I think we're more likely to get some binders thrown in with Bespin Han and call it close enough. Or same with a potential ROTJ Han. Dagobah luke, same thing. A set of dirty clothes thrown in with bespin luke 2.0, but thats about it.

A stormtrooper seems like a lock. They tend to give those a go every couple years. Makes sense. A stormtrooper will always sell.

Outside of that I'd say chances on the rest are pretty dismal. Though I wish that weren't so.

Agreed, but I'd be surprised if HT passed up a chance to sell us a block of plastic for big money.

I still wonder if part of the holdup with Bespin Han has to with final approval of the sculpt. While I initially thought it could be sitting with Ford, some folks have suggested that he doesn’t have likeness approval rights (which may or may not be true). Others have suggested Howard might be POed because Ford destroyed a Han figure on a talk show. However, maybe HT is doing a whole new Han sculpt And they want to get it perfect, especially after a number of superior custom Ford Han/Indiana Jones sculpts have popped up in the last few years. They have a reputation to uphold and that doesn’t make them look good.

I‘m hoping HT announces another ANH Luke. In all these years, no one has gotten the Farmboy Luke portrait right. Not Hot Toys, Sideshow, Medicom, nor any customs. For whatever reason nobody has been able to capture the wide-eyed optimism Hamill brought to the character at that age. A few years of aging and a car accident matured his look by the time the sequels rolled around. HT’s ESB DX still holds up nicely and RotJ is very good, so it would be great to see them make another ANH version with an all new portrait—whether as a reissue in the retro packaging or X-Wing.

Speaking of Anniversary/retro reissues, maybe HT will reissue Obi-Wan “Old Ben” Kenobi since that one has gone up quite a bit in the secondary.

Last edited:
"Small runs" never justify the production cost in terms of business perspective. There are numerous benefits from the economies of large-scale production, those who have been working in the manufacturing industry will be extremely familiar with this concept.

Unless collectors are willing to pay a hefty price for these "small runs", I would say 1.5 or even double the average retail price from Hot Toys. For instance, I just bought a $700 1/6 samurai figure Dante from this Chinese studio with worldwide edition limited to only 300 figs. But if you go to BBST and type COO model samurai, the standard cost for these mass-produced figures are just roughly $300 at maximum.

I fully understand manufacturing logistics and pricing based on units to be sold.

Small is relative. You took me far too literally, unnecessarily.

They would need to produce enough to be profitable but not enough so that unsold units stick around.

Sideshow used to be pretty good at pulling that off with older figures, but that time has come and gone for a variety of reasons. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it, though the figures would cost more.

I would be okay with that to get secondary or background characters, and some other folks would be. But maybe not in the numbers Sideshow would need to make it worthwhile.

The reality is, people just had no idea how good they had it when Sideshow was making figs like hammerhead, Greedo, and Gamorrean for not much over $100. Greedo was in fact LESS than $100. Sadly those days are forever gone.

I always wonder how many people would buy a $250-270 Walrusman (who yes, wears a vaguely similar outfit to Luke Snowspeeder, which was priced at around $270 in 2020.) HT Jawa maybe was a preview of what's to come: questionable quality priced far too high.

You really don't know you've left the good ol' days till they've come and gone.

I would be alright paying that for Walrusman and other characters like him. I imagine not everyone would. Maybe for alien characters like Admiral Ackbar and Nien Numb that Hot Toys seems to shy away from. I don't expect a Hot Toys Greedo anytime soon either, if ever.

I don't know if Sideshow will make anymore 1/6 figures beyond Jabba's Palace Lando, but I think there would be a place for Star Wars aliens in that price range.

There's a good opportunity for product synergy between a Hot Toys ESB Lando and a Sideshow Ugnaught two pack, or a Sideshow Lobot and Bespin Guard, but I guess why bother when Hot Toys can sell Cosbabies and Sideshow can sell... art prints? I guess? A couple of Star Wars statues a year?

bespin han, chewie with C3PO, and bespin escape leia and i can retire from star wars hot toy collecting happy

Add a Rebel trooper and Lobot to the above list and I think I’d be able to call it a day too.

What's left:

• Bespin Han
  • Hoth Han
  • Carbonite Han
  • Bespin Escape Leia
  • Bespin Luke
  • Dagobah Luke
  • Dagobah R2
  • Hoth Luke
  • C3PO
  • Chewbacca with BD C3PO
  • Stormtrooper

Long shots:

• IG-88
  • Snowtrooper Commander

I know most of these are secondary characters, but I'd also "love" to see a Hot Toys:

ANH
- Tusken Raider
- Stormtrooper with Dewback
- Greedo
- Re-release of ANH Luke with every accessory and outfit, better likeness and clothing

ESB
- Hoth Luke (optional Tauntuan)
- Imperial Probe Droid

ROTJ
- Jabba The Hutt (with throne and Salacious Crumb)
- Slave Leia
- Gamorrean Guard
- Bib Fortuna
- Boushh Leia
- Skiff Guard (Klaatu or Weequay)
- ROTJ Scout with Speeder Bike

I'll add to that wish list...

ANH
- X-Wing Luke
- Sandtrooper Corporal

ESB
- AT-AT General Veers
- Bossk

ROTJ
- Endor Han

...and all of the others they've made prototypes for.

For the most part I’m pretty much okay with SS’s SW aliens and creatures (unless they’re really not that great) so would rather see HT focus on humans/humanoid aliens and aliens and creatures that haven’t been produced.

ANH
Farmboy Luke (redo with improved likeness)
X-Wing Luke
Bantha (real hair)

ESB
Hoth Luke
Hoth Han
Wampa (real hair)
Yoda’s Hut in correct scale
Bespin Han
General Veers
Lobot
Han in Carbonite

ROTJ
Oola
Slave Leia
Rancor
Rancor Keeper
Bib Fortuna
Endor Leia (long hair)
General Solo
General Calrissian
General Ackbar
Nien Nunb (maybe)

Since we're all doing wishlists

ANH
Old Ben reissue
Farmboy Luke (that original one doesn't count, it's just awful).
Greedo

ESB
Bespin Luke
Bespin Han
Bespin Escale Leia
Chewie with 3PO backpack (don't want or care for normal 3PO)
Snowtrooper Commander
General Veers (hoth)
Bossk

ROTJ
Nothing really.

Also for those wanting Slave Leia, never happening.

I love SW but there is not much as far a character design that I feel I pay almost $400 for. I like my 1/6 figures with multiple layers and accessories hanging here and there and I think Snowspeeder Luke is a great example of this. Lando however is very simply. I think I would be interested in HT take on Skiff Lando as that design consist of organic, cloth, metal components with a lot detail in the costume design to appreciate as opposed to blue shirt and pants (not knocking ESB lando). Bossk, Dengar and IG-88 would also be welcomed. Don’t care about the other two.

In addition I think I would be more interested in seeing HT take on Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. I would love to have 1/6 HT versions of all 13 Dwarfs from The Hobbit. LOTR’s Legolas, Gimli, Aragon and Gandalf. These are perfect examples of multiple layers and accessories that are worthy of 1/6 presentation which can be much more appreciated than a blue shirt and cape. :)

Back