1/6 Hot Toys - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: Lando Calrissian (Bespin version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: Lando Calrissian Collectible Figur

The 300 dollar bare bones HT is coming next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once was excited about my DX Batman Returns Penguin figure for $220 circa 2012.

Re: Hot Toys - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: Lando Calrissian Collectible Figur

I'm still positive on this sculpt, I think it looks a lot like BDW and isn't that far off the mark. This is closer than the Qui-Gon sculpt to me. I still really don't quite see Neeson in that one.

That wannbe Han outfit was always a poor choice, even in 1980.

Yeah it is a weird one. I guess they figured Lando left his wardrobe behind on Bespin so had to use Han's underwear and cologne.:lol

Am I the only one seeing that Hot Toys seems to have a hard time with head sculpts of the Original Trilogy characters? (EDIT - I see now I'm not, after looking at Nergal's message I think he might be seeing the same thing I am, not sure it's an expression thing, its just... lacking in some way).

I think Leia is the exception, the ANH version did have a few issues moreso than the otehrs, but I think they've improved it with Hoth Leia. But Han, Luke, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Tarkin less so but it's hard to get the distinct facial features of older people wrong, and now Lando... as a whole, they just aren't that good compared to the sculpts of prequel and sequel characters... it's like they aren't looking at references of the actual actors at all, but at toys of the actors, that's the best way I can put it. Maybe they're so iconic that the sculptors can't get past their own mind-images of what they thinks these characters look like in order to do them real justice by sculpting the actual person?

Anyway, like I said Leia Hoth is great, Leia Bespin as well... they seem to be able to do her, but Old Obi-Wan, Luke, Han... now Lando... yes it technically looks like Billy D... but all of these are lacking something... they look like toys, not works of art, sorry if this offends anyone but this is what I see, and it's frustrating to me becuase I love these characters, but when I look at pictures of the actors from that era, and at the head sculpts, they are lacking something that Anakin, Dooku, Rey, etc. seem to have. I'm not talking about perfection, I know peope have issues with all of these, that's not it. I wish I had the words for it, all I know is something seems to be off with the OT head sculpts, by and large. I wish I knew how to put it into words.

I'm still positive on this sculpt, I think it looks a lot like BDW and isn't that far off the mark. This is closer than the Qui-Gon sculpt to me. I still really don't quite see Neeson in that one.

Yeah despite the someone odd expression, I think this is the must stronger sculpt as well.

It sort of reminds me of the HT ANH Han sculpt - obviously a quite decent actor likeness but at the same time something key that's lacking.

Besides that somewhat odd smirk he maybe seems too young. BDW was almost in his mid 40s in ESB and when you look at the HT sculpt it almost has the look of someone in their 20s, and his features maybe more Puerto Rican than African American. Almost like what Lando would have looked like in "Solo" if they created a younger BDW with CGI.

I always think a good test of a likeness is to put the sculpt on a generic set of modern clothes. My guess is if you put this head on a young urban clothing body BDW/Lando wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind. Though I will say the artist pics of the sculpt did look quite a bit better though.

ecyNVEL.jpg

I think the sculpt is great personally, just wish it was a more neutral expression as this expression kind of limits display options.

My only gripe is the face is so round. Billy Dee had a better bone structure around the cheeks which gets lost from the "soft" look on the headsculpt. Again not complaining, thank the plastic gods on high we are getting him but there is a softness and shape going on.

these OT star wars sculpts by hot toys are always a hair or two off but just off enough to ease the pain of passing on the figure.

Maybe the face is a bit off so we can hopefully get a lil update to the sculpt and get old lando to complete the og??

Was this speculation or something from Howard after Bespin Luke? Always heard that Anakin was supposed to be 2nd back then.

Can't remember the exact order but Howard mentioned Anakin and Bespin Han in the same breath, as the second and third figures.

This was, of course, before HT got the fully fledged licence, so maybe arrangements with SS "altered the bargain".

And we have had how many versions of Luke and Leia? Han is my favorite so i want more versions

And we have almost as many Ehrenreich Hans as Ford Hans!

Just need a Bespin Guard released and you can recreate this.
985d3c6863d8c218976e60bac0555d26.gif

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just need a Bespin Guard released and you can recreate this.
985d3c6863d8c218976e60bac0555d26.gif

Got mine all ready to go (still need a piece of fabric tape to hold the jacket fully closed).... maybe need to grab Joost's Carbon Freeze chamber dio.:yess:

eBs2bX6.jpg

Got mine all ready to go (still need a piece of fabric tape to hold the jacket fully closed).... maybe need to grab Joost's Carbon Freeze chamber dio.[emoji38]

eBs2bX6.jpg
Great looking figure!

I feel like a bad Star Wars fan....I don’t even remember those guys!

Hot Toys really need to surprise us this week with a follow-up preorder release for a Lobot ! [emoji23]

Never gonna happen I know.

Great looking figure!

That is a terrific Bespin Guard.

Thanks guys and yeah, Bespin Guard was a major fave for me back in the day for some reason. I made a Kenner style head (moustache guy) to go with this custom - I'll have to swap that out and take some pics. The regular head in the pic above is for the guard standing behind Lando on the landing platform next to Lobot.

And for those who forget the BG Kenner fig as well, he got a pretty high profile commercial which is one of the few I actually remember seeing on TV...

Hot Toys really need to surprise us this week with a follow-up preorder release for a Lobot ! [emoji23]

Never gonna happen I know.

While the chances are 3,720 to 1 for a HT Lobot I'd buy him in a second. And ugh if HT did a Bespin guard I'd probably buy at least two (I got three Royal Guards....) Fortunately that's never gonna happen.:lol

Then again... they did show two different power droid/gonk protos and actually released one, so who knows?

Back