Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grevious would be really hard to turn down. Easily the most memorable thing to come out of the prequels for me despite such limited screentime.

Precisely.

And yes, Grievous is my last PT villain. I think a PT shelf with Grievous, Dooku and Maul will be the perfect trilogy set (assuming they fit in a detolf).

I doubt I'll pick up Jango (only because I already have two Fetts) and I'll be tempted by Sidious but I believe my Emperor on throne suffices for Palpatine.

Same here. Dooku, Maul, Grievous. Undecided on Jango.
As one figure per character rule, OT Palps seem to gonna be my only Palps. However, I'd like to have ROTS version duelling with Yoda.

I have Dooku displayed with Maul. Dooku does tower over him though.

IMG_2213.jpg

Told you...they just look weird standing next to each other, it’s literally like SW version of The Hobbits.

Yeah my Kylo and Vaders completely tower over him as well, so don't think I'll be doing a Dark Side display. Although he does scale well with most other characters I have like Obi-Wan, so it's at least not another Daenerys situation.

Ray Park is 5'10" and Christopher Lee was a towering 6'5" I don't see what the problem is.
This is an incredible figure straight out of the box, and even better when you get the eye positioning just right.

I'm reading 5'9" in a lot of places. Plus in pretty much every scene with other people he was dueling and not standing up straight like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were so it gave the appearance he was shorter.

QG and OW stood up straight when dueling?

Here's them all standing about the same... Maul is puny.

open-uri20150608-27674-1vsruyc_92a543c0.jpeg

Despite the above, Ewan and Ray look close in height. Ewan is also "5'10'' (likely shorter in truth).

tumblr_pp0l8gZ1fI1w4t7wqo3_500.gif

Finally got a chance to pull this guy out of the box. I'm impressed, but not blown away. Don't misunderstand, I think it's a great figure and I'm sure the more I explore it with posing and pictures, my opinion will rise. It's another well-crafted figure from HT. Solid portraits, great cut-n-sew, sharp looking accessories. The DX packaging is a real treat. The only thing I am not impressed with is the stand. Too big and the label was attached with bubbles and grit underneath it that won't rub out which makes it look cheap. Wish it had a more basic and smaller stand.

I think the scale is fine The eyes move ok (beats the daylights out of the old PERS ones), the hands are a bit of a struggle but not that bad to change out. The wired tabbards are great and I really like the fine crepe fabric they feature. It gives a great texture without blowing the scale.

One thing that surprised me in a cool way is how much I actually like the screaming portrait. Put him in any action pose and it instantly adds a feral intensity that really makes it come alive on display.

Here's a couple of shots....I'll play more in the days ahead when work lightens up a bit.

HT TPM MAUL-001.jpg

HT TPM MAUL-002.jpg

Been enjoying the various video reviews (and shots in here)...this one has really brought a lot of folks forward showing their enthusiasm for the figure...kind of like the old days in here...it's been cool.

Another thing that draws me to the screaming portrait in this set is...I just don't see Park in the stoic sculpt. The screaming one makes that issue less glaring. While both of the portraits feature the usual high quality HT is known for, neither of them really capture Park. I didn't expect to enjoy the screaming one as much as I do, it's detail and quality won me over.

I'm 5'10 and have stood about 4 feet away from him at a signing, he is not 5'10. Maybe with boots he is 5'9 but thats as high as I would guess.

I totally believe you. I've never met an actor who didn't lie about his height. Never... unless they are legitimately over 6'1''. And they always measure with heels on.

His legs are spread apart there, dropping his hieght slightly...

Tried the stoic portrait tonight....

HT TPM MAUL-004.jpg

I like it but....I stand with my initial impressions. It doesn't really look like Park, the red is a bit dark and the etched lines are strange. It does have good skin texture and the paint work is excellent. The eyes work well to add some menace.

HT TPM MAUL-003.jpg

I am enjoying the figure...looking forward to reading what some of the regulars in here think of it when they finally get it.

Last edited:
70226367_147680596439687_1882868634242829408_n.jpg
ss.jpg

I stumbled across the perfect display for Maul of one collector on Instagram, he utilizes the dynamic stand very creatively to create such dynamic pose.

Back