Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a custom maul with a modified medicom sculpt then when sideshow released a new version I grabbed parts... I'm not trying to show off my custom I'm just wondering from people with similar or the ssv2 is it worth it to get this??? With Thanos and other figures I'm trying to be a little more selective. I appreciate feedback from my fellow freaks good or bad
cdca72eefcf44875d3c3f959971abb7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What parts of the robe have wires? Certainly the opening of the hood, is there one running from front to back? Does the body of the robe have wiring? The sleeves?

While I don’t care for the shiny material, one thing I love about the Medicom robe is that all the wires make for lots of posing of his costume.
The hood and the edges at the opening of the cloak for certain.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I made a custom maul with a modified medicom sculpt then when sideshow released a new version I grabbed parts... I'm not trying to show off my custom I'm just wondering from people with similar or the ssv2 is it worth it to get this??? With Thanos and other figures I'm trying to be a little more selective. I appreciate feedback from my fellow freaks good or bad

If you've already got that, and you're pressed to decide between this Maul and other figures, I would decide based on whether you have any figures already of the other characters, if not, and you like them enough, get new stuff instead of repeats.

Dont have any of the others on my wish list so that sounds like a good biases to go by.

Do you think the deluxe Maul with speeder will be around after spook? May be the only way I can swing it...(405.00 aint cheap)

Is the large base really the only one he comes with? What happened to the days where HT would include a smaller base in addition with these...

Are the hood wires too thick to bend? You have to close the cloak fully, then fold the hood corners so they fold over the closed cloak. This will give it weight. Tough to explain without having the figure in hand. Don’t try posing the hood first without closing the cloak all the way. Sucks I gotta wait until gets stock.

Well, I just put in my order. :) I went through a local shop that has a great price, but it'll be a while before they get him in.

The full body shots are what ultimately convinced me, the overall proportions look excellent (excellent for maybe a short neck, which is easily fixed). Plus Darth Maul is one of my favourite character designs from any franchise, so I'm not sure how I thought I could skip this. :lol
I might mix and match parts with my SS custom, and then sell off the rest.

Well, I just put in my order. :) I went through a local shop that has a great price, but it'll be a while before they get him in.

The full body shots are what ultimately convinced me, the overall proportions look excellent (excellent for maybe a short neck, which is easily fixed). Plus Darth Maul is one of my favourite character designs from any franchise, so I'm not sure how I thought I could skip this. :lol
I might mix and match parts with my SS custom, and then sell off the rest.

But with the magnetic head/neck - will the neck be easily fixed? How would you do it?

The full body shots are what ultimately convinced me, the overall proportions look excellent (excellent for maybe a short neck, which is easily fixed).

Do you have a plan in mind for extending the neck? Since the head attaches by a magnet it won't be as simple as packing something on top of the neck cup.

Maybe a metallic spacer?

It'll likely be a while before mine comes in, but I've also been wondering about how to securely attach the second sculpt to the neck of another body. I have a feeling it will sit too low, so will have to push a rod into the neck on the body, and secure it to the head by pushing some white tack up unto the skull.

Well at least Maul had a battle scene that is somewhat prolonged...look at poor Boba in three movies...what was his screen time 10-15 seconds max?
Quite a bit more than 15secs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But with the magnetic head/neck - will the neck be easily fixed? How would you do it?

Do you have a plan in mind for extending the neck? Since the head attaches by a magnet it won't be as simple as packing something on top of the neck cup.

Maybe a metallic spacer?

It'll likely be a while before mine comes in, but I've also been wondering about how to securely attach the second sculpt to the neck of another body. I have a feeling it will sit too low, so will have to push a rod into the neck on the body, and secure it to the head by pushing some white tack up unto the skull.

Good points.
We don't know yet if the neck is a separate piece from the body, right? If it is, extending the neck at the base instead of the top should be doable.
If the neck is attached to the body it becomes more difficult. A metallic spacer should be an easy solution, but that likely creates an unsightly gap below the chin line.

Well, it will likely be 2-3 months or so until I receive mine as well (the joys of ordering locally...), so I expect that several solutions will have been tried by then. :) And of course this is all assuming that it's needed in the first place. Only after some expert futzers get this in hand will we know more.

Back