Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've long given up on ever seeing any other characters besides Jack. Looking back, it was fortunate enough that they released the ones they did from AWE. And now that the movies are having diminishing returns, I expect it even less.

If they do go ahead with a 6th film, there's every reason to believe they'll make Jack again and then leave it.

Even if HT didn't have the license/Disney partnership, I don't know if I would expect any other company to jump on the license at this point, when its most popular days are behind it.

If they did, and if they were smart, they'd go back to Black Pearl, because of all the movies, that one is really the only film that could be/possibly is seen as a 'classic'.

While Pirates may bhave burnt out in terms of desire for the series to continue, it doesn't change fandom for what's come before it. I'm sure a ThreeZero could sell $150 figures of Barbossa, Will, Elizabeth, Pintell, Rigetti, Gibbs and Marty.

Hot Toys has just long ceased to be the company that takes chances on niche fandoms, Jack Sparrow is half Pirates half Johnny Depp, if it were a less popular actor we probably wouldn't even get him, even with 80% of the figure being rehashed.

The POTC license is indeed being wasted by Hot Toys here. If they're really not going to continue on with it, it's too bad another company can't take over. With Barbossa being in all five movies so far and being a fan favorite, and still no 1/6 figure, it just goes to show that they have no real interest in making him. Along with many other possible figures from the franchise.

While Pirates may bhave burnt out in terms of desire for the series to continue, it doesn't change fandom for what's come before it. I'm sure a ThreeZero could sell $150 figures of Barbossa, Will, Elizabeth, Pintell, Rigetti, Gibbs and Marty.

Hot Toys has just long ceased to be the company that takes chances on niche fandoms, Jack Sparrow is half Pirates half Johnny Depp, if it were a less popular actor we probably wouldn't even get him, even with 80% of the figure being rehashed.

I'd point to a company like Star Ace. A majority of their licenses are centered around lukewarm properties. Harry Potter may have a a stronger lasting appeal than pirates, but it's definitely not at the height of it's popularity. Their other license; 300, Underworld, Hunger Games - All pretty luke warm or dead :lol, but they're getting figures.

Then again, Harry Potter seems to be the only one that has gone beyond 2 figures. So who knows. But two figures...one of those would likely be Barbossa. Ah to dream...

The POTC license is indeed being wasted by Hot Toys here. If they're really not going to continue on with it, it's too bad another company can't take over. With Barbossa being in all five movies so far and being a fan favorite, and still no 1/6 figure, it just goes to show that they have no real interest in making him. Along with many other possible figures from the franchise.

QFT :lecture

There are a lot of licenses I wish Hot Toys would lose - pretty much everything they have, sans MCU and DCEU.

ThreeZero would be a nice pick for the PotC license. I'm sure they'd make more supporting characters.

Look np further than Ichabod crane to see the Depp factor at work. They could have made the HEADLESS Horseman without any regard for likeness rights or quality and had an amazing figure, and they didn't, they made another Depp character and moved on.

Look np further than Ichabod crane to see the Depp factor at work. They could have made the HEADLESS Horseman without any regard for likeness rights or quality and had an amazing figure, and they didn't, they made another Depp character and moved on.

Another one of those crazy HT decisions. You understand it but you question it at the same time. It's maddening.

These other companies are slowly filling in the gaps though, it's just taking about as long as it takes Hot Toys to get a figure out of the "stay tuned" zone.

Asmus would knock a Horseman out of the park. They already have a horse body developed, and they don't need to worry about the likeness which is often their weakness in their figures.

At least Hot Toys gives us an amazing Jack every time though :lol

There are a lot of licenses I wish Hot Toys would lose - pretty much everything they have, sans MCU and DCEU.

ThreeZero would be a nice pick for the PotC license. I'm sure they'd make more supporting characters.

I totally agree with this. Threezero is a good choice. While their paint work is just now getting there, I think their sculpts are pretty decent.

At least Hot Toys gives us an amazing Jack every time though :lol

While true, I would like to see another sculptor's/ companies hand at work on a Jack Sparrow figure. I know not much changes over time except for those of us who really know his costume inside and out, but it would be nice to see what a new sculpt/tailor could do with Sparrow. I love the UU sculpt, hands, coat, shirt and sash.

And technically, only the DX Jack's have been amazing, the original MMS and the Cannibal King outside of the Cannibal portrait and accessories, were horribly proportioned and cheaply made, buttons fell of Jack's coat with ease because they were small, cheaply glued ones.

While true, I would like to see another sculptor's/ companies hand at work on a Jack Sparrow figure. I know not much changes over time except for those of us who really know his costume inside and out, but it would be nice to see what a new sculpt/tailor could do with Sparrow. I love the UU sculpt, hands, coat, shirt and sash.

Yeah, another company might try a little harder in an effort to stand out more. We could get a real cloth bandana on his head, and Jacks piece of 8 jewelry on his head could be actual beads instead of just sculpted on. Maybe getting Jacks coat closer to what we see on screen.

And technically, only the DX Jack's have been amazing, the original MMS and the Cannibal King outside of the Cannibal portrait and accessories, were horribly proportioned and cheaply made, buttons fell of Jack's coat with ease because they were small, cheaply glued ones.

Yeah, definitely true about the proportions, but at the time I was amazed by them. In hindsight, they're pretty terrible though.

Yeah, definitely true about the proportions, but at the time I was amazed by them. In hindsight, they're pretty terrible though.

I was always torn, I already had the DMC Jack from Medicom at that point, so the paint job and overall accessories were a step up, but the coat color bothered me, and the proportions, as well as how the right hand and his wrist wrap were sculpted together so posing him with his sword felt like posing a 70s Star Wars figure.

The first time I was actually amazed was DX06 and the leaps of enhancements they made over those same flaws, but for the coat. The slip body really sold the look of Depp, the portrait sculpts were up to the level of the Cannibal head and the accessories were amazing.

I always hated how big they were in comparison to other figures in that scale. And the expression of Sparrow. All things they fixed with DX06

DX06 was a huge leap. It still holds up and defeats several modern figures in terms of presentation. Now if they could just fix the hat and coat. In my minds eye, I think AWE Jack had a more accurate hat shape...Can't quite remember.

I always hated how big they were in comparison to other figures in that scale. And the expression of Sparrow. All things they fixed with DX06

DX06 was a huge leap. It still holds up and defeats several modern figures in terms of presentation. Now if they could just fix the hat and coat. In my minds eye, I think AWE Jack had a more accurate hat shape...Can't quite remember.

The DX Hats (since so far, DX15 will have the same one) is quite wrong in shape. The triangle corners in the back side sag down instead of pointing slightly upward.

header.jpg

I feel that trying to use real material instead of sculpting is the issue.

6541784189_758feb9fec_b.jpg

MMS Jack hat had a great shape to it, just seemed a bit too big to me.

8178007834_d9a3370e04_o.jpg

Medicom's had the best 1/6 Jack Sparrow hat you can get in my book, which is why I customized my old one and used it with my DX06, but when I sold DX06 that was part of the package and so when DX15 was announced, I hunted down a new one and have it sitting at home waiting for my new jack.

Back