Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so this is where I'm at right now.
Hunted down an Enterbay UU and original Medicom Jack's along with a AWE HT Jack sculpt for the charms and piece of eight etc.

Weathered the DX15 Coat.
Weathered the DX06 Pants
Weathered the Medicom Vest. Used heming tape and fabric glue and put the UU Vest back on the Medicom Vest.

Going to go with the UU tricorn hat as I actually like the look and size of it to the Medicom.

Put the UU Scarf on the DX15 hairpiece. Repainted the hair a darker mocha color. Repainted the dreads. But I'm in the process of making real dreads so I will be replacing them all with fabric dreads using wool.

Using the rubber chest from the UU over the DX body.

Still need to repaint the charms. Probably will do that when I start removing the plastic dreads. Still going to keep with the UU dreads in back to help fill in. But I am going to add real dreads to his giant braid in the back.

These are just WIP pics. Once complete I'll do a showcase video without close pics of everything.

I really need to thank you guys for pointers and what I needed to do to get my Ultimate CotBP Jack! Thanks!! IMG_20200307_222300_066.jpgIMG_20200308_195531_402.jpgIMG_20200308_195531_404.jpgreceived_489257835074420.jpgreceived_665152424301077.jpgreceived_658438811631357.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
He looks very alive and the quality of the DX15 portrait really shines.
Agreed that DX15 really brings the figure to life!
Those dreds are amazing! The figure truly is a 1/6 Johnny Depp.
Thanks. I just learn this trick the other day. [emoji1]

Some more quick pics. I'll probably start adding the coins and wraps tomorrow...20200309_203812.jpg20200309_202459.jpgIMG_20200309_202301_281.jpg

Looking great, the materials you're using are perfect for scaled dreadlocks.
Thanks! It's just wool roving. And using soap and water just rub tiny strands of it in yuh our hands like you are making play doh "snakes".

Then let dry. Then I cut them to size and glued them into the hair piece while removing the sculpted pieces.

I did spray them with stiffen quik while they were drying to help hold their shape, but not sure it it's quite needed or not. I wanted them to be rather firm to handle too.

It's a lot of fun watching him take shape. I'm tempted at the least to get a spare hair piece and trim the dreads and darken them to get more of Pirates 1-3 look to my ultimate Jack, I don't mind the long dreads but part of me feels like I may love it more with the shorter. I'd be too nervous about ruining it for good though so definitely need a spare if I do. I'd probably get the DX06 hair, I like the bandana on that one better, the details don't show well on the DX15, one of few disappointments with that figure. I may also buy some DX06 boots, I like the D15 color better, but the material used is a bit stiff and I don't like the overall look as much, I loved the DX06 boots.

It's a lot of fun watching him take shape. I'm tempted at the least to get a spare hair piece and trim the dreads and darken them to get more of Pirates 1-3 look to my ultimate Jack, I don't mind the long dreads but part of me feels like I may love it more with the shorter. I'd be too nervous about ruining it for good though so definitely need a spare if I do. I'd probably get the DX06 hair, I like the bandana on that one better, the details don't show well on the DX15, one of few disappointments with that figure. I may also buy some DX06 boots, I like the D15 color better, but the material used is a bit stiff and I don't like the overall look as much, I loved the DX06 boots.

I feel like the longer the dreads it's just gets too busy.
Personally I prefer his wig piece in DMC/AWE. It's a little fuller than COTBP, but doesnt get crazy like in the later sequels.

I'd say go for it. The hairpieces are usually a decent price to pick up an extra and then you can play with it.

I almost went with using the DX06 hairpiece as well but I wanted the real hair bits from the DX15 version. So that's why I went that route and I knew I was covering the bandana with the Enterbay one.

I just picked up the rest of what I needed to finish my dreads and paint the charms etc. so hopefully tonight I can finish him up.

I do still need to repaint and weather his baldric too. And that "x" mark.

Yeah parts are still plenty available and reasonable prices. It's funny, I went hunting for a set of DX06 hands as soon as DX15 was announced because I wanted the non wrapped hands and DX06 came with more poses, not many sales of them then, now it seems like they're always on eBay. I have ongoing searches always tracking auctions. Given the money in my budget, I am looking at trying to snag a black pearl wheel from DX06, the base from DX15 is really cool, but that wheel just feels more Jack. I wish we had a smirk head that was as accurate a smirk as the DX06 head with the realism of the DX15, but the DX15 smirk face just feels off. I've seen maybe one or 2 photos out there where it looked pretty good, but without very specific lighting, it just doesn't work for me. The serious DX15 face is Depp all the way, no matter the lighting, the angle, the eye pose, it's perfection, and thankfully HT didn't make him look as old as he was in the movie, they always tend to make older versions of people look closer to younger, Stallone, Depp, Ford.

Yeah parts are still plenty available and reasonable prices. It's funny, I went hunting for a set of DX06 hands as soon as DX15 was announced because I wanted the non wrapped hands and DX06 came with more poses, not many sales of them then, now it seems like they're always on eBay. I have ongoing searches always tracking auctions. Given the money in my budget, I am looking at trying to snag a black pearl wheel from DX06, the base from DX15 is really cool, but that wheel just feels more Jack. I wish we had a smirk head that was as accurate a smirk as the DX06 head with the realism of the DX15, but the DX15 smirk face just feels off. I've seen maybe one or 2 photos out there where it looked pretty good, but without very specific lighting, it just doesn't work for me. The serious DX15 face is Depp all the way, no matter the lighting, the angle, the eye pose, it's perfection, and thankfully HT didn't make him look as old as he was in the movie, they always tend to make older versions of people look closer to younger, Stallone, Depp, Ford.

I agree. It really is too bad that the DX15 smirk is so lacking in the likeness department. The DX06 smirk is so Jack and looks great, just doesnt look at photoreal as the DX15 though.

What's your budget on the DX06 Wheel? I believe I still have an extra one I could probably let go of.

What's your budget on the DX06 Wheel? I believe I still have an extra one I could probably let go of.

I can let you know later, at the moment it's not in the mix, but I have plans to sell a bunch of collectibles in the spring and it'll depend on how well that goes. I've already got about $600 worth of items on order or planned to get in 2020 which ties up my regular collecting funds for the year, but depending on where I land after the sale, I'll be looking at where I want to spend the funds. I have a lot of ideas, just prioritizing.

With Jack, my top priorities are get a DX06 smirk face, lots of them out there, just a matter of do I go for a sale that costs a little more and has the hair piece too for a more classic hairpiece option or just the face, and then I have a Cannibal Jack head, sceptre and headdress, just need to get the costume bits but I want to finish off that custom.

Just occurred to me, I could remove the piece of eight from the cannibal head to make a DX06 hair piece more classic since you wouldn't see it under the cannibal hat, kind of makes the idea of making a Pirates 1-3 hair piece more appealing.

very nice work on the dreads Rzeznikk :clap

also, love the how the jacket came out. Might need to do that to one of my spares.

I'm still debating on if I want to change the color of the boots to the more mustard color the're supposed to be. Can't bring myself to mess up a nice pair of boots even though I have extras of nearly everything.

I can let you know later, at the moment it's not in the mix, but I have plans to sell a bunch of collectibles in the spring and it'll depend on how well that goes. I've already got about $600 worth of items on order or planned to get in 2020 which ties up my regular collecting funds for the year, but depending on where I land after the sale, I'll be looking at where I want to spend the funds. I have a lot of ideas, just prioritizing.

With Jack, my top priorities are get a DX06 smirk face, lots of them out there, just a matter of do I go for a sale that costs a little more and has the hair piece too for a more classic hairpiece option or just the face, and then I have a Cannibal Jack head, sceptre and headdress, just need to get the costume bits but I want to finish off that custom.

Just occurred to me, I could remove the piece of eight from the cannibal head to make a DX06 hair piece more classic since you wouldn't see it under the cannibal hat, kind of makes the idea of making a Pirates 1-3 hair piece more appealing.
Sounds good just let me know!
very nice work on the dreads Rzeznikk :clap

also, love the how the jacket came out. Might need to do that to one of my spares.

I'm still debating on if I want to change the color of the boots to the more mustard color the're supposed to be. Can't bring myself to mess up a nice pair of boots even though I have extras of nearly everything.
Thanks man! I appreciate your tips and what pieces I needed and what not. Helped out tremendously!

Here are pics of the pieces repainted along with the wrappings etc. in the hair!

Still need to repaint the tricorn. And I'd still like to add real dreads and wrapping to the big ponytail in the back but since its sculpted into the top of the hairpiece I need to figure out how I can do that and still make it look seamless. And I still need to tackle that "x" [emoji1]

Anyways I'm really happy with how this turned out!
Drink up me hearties yo ho!!IMG_20200310_192644_888.jpgIMG_20200310_192644_887.jpgIMG_20200310_192644_890.jpgIMG_20200310_192644_904.jpgIMG_20200310_192644_956.jpgFB_IMG_1583886681551.jpgFB_IMG_1583886679294.jpgFB_IMG_1583886676588.jpgFB_IMG_1583886670608.jpgFB_IMG_1583886666881.jpg

That is a fine looking Jack right there. Watching Curse at the moment. Do any of your Jack’s have the Sparrow tattoo and pirate Brand? I printed some on clear labels and added them to mine just as a means to have them even if they’re hidden most of the time.

That is a fine looking Jack right there. Watching Curse at the moment. Do any of your Jack?s have the Sparrow tattoo and pirate Brand? I printed some on clear labels and added them to mine just as a means to have them even if they?re hidden most of the time.
Thanks!

Yes this one has the Sparrow tattoo and "P" brand. Even though it's not visible.

Yes, mine has the pirate brand and sparrow tatt as well. I had Badmother customs make them way back when the DX06 came out. The P isn’t accurate as I’d like it to be but it gets the job done.

I just finished making my animal pelts for DMC/AWE this evening as Rzez work got me inspired. I’m pretty much done with my Jack at the moment until I decide what to do about the jacket and/or boots

Back