Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I've been up to.
I made my own wire mesh for the small vent on the chin using copper wire and styrene.
For the mouth, I used the mesh of the DX Sideshow Vader, cut to size. I then made a grill out of styrene and attached it with a bit of super sculpey.
I also did the nose plug mod, adding a new one made out of super sculpey while also thickening up the black ridges slightly.

All in all I'm quite happy with the outcome. :)

IMG_4404_2_small.jpg

IMG_4409_4_small.jpg

IMG_4282_2_small.jpg

That looks awesome, WTS! What mesh did you end up using? That's not the contour wire mesh, right?

Thanks!

No, it’s not the contour mesh. It’s from a “Lost in Space” “Chariot” upgrade kit that has enough of the mesh to upgrade all the Vader’s in your collection. It’s made of super thin, laser cut brass. The scale is about 98-99% accurate, so it’s very marginally over scaled, but by just a hairs breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I've been up to.
I made my own wire mesh for the small vent on the chin using copper wire and styrene.
For the mouth, I used the mesh of the DX Sideshow Vader, cut to size. I then made a grill out of styrene and attached it with a bit of super sculpey.
I also did the nose plug mod, adding a new one made out of super sculpey while also thickening up the black ridges slightly.

All in all I'm quite happy with the outcome. :)

View attachment 436064

View attachment 436065

View attachment 436063

Wow, that really looks fantastic. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've decided due to a severe lack of free time to stop working on my Vader mask resculpt. If anyone can make use of it as well as the modified dome drop me a PM. It is a lot more accurate than the HT helmet and as the chin triangle hasn't been cut out can be modded for any of the OT looks.

I'm so sorry to ask what is probably obvious to most of you guys... but how much of the fins inside the ANH helmet do you cut down to get it sit lower?
I've sanded the disc on the top of the mask, but it's not having a noticeable effect yet.

I'm so sorry to ask what is probably obvious to most of you guys... but how much of the fins inside the ANH helmet do you cut down to get it sit lower?
I've sanded the disc on the top of the mask, but it's not having a noticeable effect yet.

It’s the square support, inside the top of the helmet, that has to be sanded down. Do a little at a time until the helmet sits were you want.

IMG_9303_2_small.jpg

Hey agonistes86,

Sorry if this has been asked before but what kind of fabric/material is the custom cape and tabards made out of? I'd love a push in the right direction.

Can someone tell me how the Hot Toys Vader belt comes off? I have the ANH version that came with GMT. I want to futz around with him but I’m not sure how everything is held together and don’t want to risk pulling apart anything that shouldn’t be pulled apart. Thanks in advance!

That's a really good look on the boots.
I like the HT ANH Vader for what it is, and I like the Sideshow ESB/ROTJ DX Vader for what it is; I have both...
But comparing the two, the Sideshow boots look like oversized clown shoes. I might have to trade them out for some HT boots.

Something else:
I bought the Vader/Tarkin set, not the stand-alone Vader. Eventually I found out that the shoulder/chest armors have different paint apps between the HT ANH stand-alone figure, and the ANH Vader that comes with Tarkin. The stand-alone Vader has the correct metallic-painted shoulder bells, but the Vader with Tarkin has black unpainted bells. (the bright silver color is totally wrong on both of course) but at least the stand-alone Vader HAS some paint where it should be.

View attachment 428357

The shoulder armor on the MMS434 Darth Vader is by far the best shoulder armor on any Vader action figure and I absolutely love how the back is closed! :D I put it on my MMS388 Rogue One Vader and it looks so much better now! :D I'll post pictures soon. ;)

The shoulder armor on the MMS434 Darth Vader is by far the best shoulder armor on any Vader action figure and I absolutely love how the back is closed! :D I put it on my MMS388 Rogue One Vader and it looks so much better now! :D I'll post pictures soon. ;)

Your username takes identity politics groupings to a new level.

View attachment 438613

Hey agonistes86,

Sorry if this has been asked before but what kind of fabric/material is the custom cape and tabards made out of? I'd love a push in the right direction.

I bought the fabric about 8 years ago, originally for a custom batman cape, so I don't remember what it was called.
I did get some new fabric recently that's very similar in drape, but a bit blacker and less shiny. This time I took picture of the name! Hope this helps (zwart means black).
20180929_120514.jpg

Whoa, that looks amazing!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Thanks!

I'm glad you like it, but "best" is subjective. Being closed in the back is not screen accurate, for those who want screen accuracy. And the shape of the shoulder bells is inncorrect (specifically the ribbed detail), not to mention being all black is innacurate for ANH.

I'm glad you like it, but "best" is subjective. Being closed in the back is not screen accurate, for those who want screen accuracy. And the shape of the shoulder bells is inncorrect (specifically the ribbed detail), not to mention being all black is innacurate for ANH.

Yeah the closed-back is not screen-accurate but it is in-universe accurate, according to the Marvel Darth Vader comic #8 from 2017. Plus the closed-back gives the shoulder armor more structure to it. I'll post some pictures of my modified Hot Toys Rogue One Vader soon.

Back