Hot Toys celebrates Star Wars Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that HT will tease a number of new figures but release only a few of them. Here are my guesses:

1. Shaw Vader
2. Leia Boushh
3. RotJ Boba Fett 2.0
4. RotJ Stormtrooper revisit
5. New Ewok(s)
6. C3PO (finally!)
7. Emperor Palpatine 2.0 (with new head sculpt)

My #1 figure wish is a new Chewie. I would buy at least two, if not three.

Having bought a Thanos because my comic fan self absolutely needed him, I'll never get another big figure. ...It's literally a plastic toy and every time I get ahold of him, I wonder if I'd had been better off getting a statue. ....But yeah, he turned me off any oversized figure, I'll tell you that. The premium feeling and realism is absolutely gone in regards to them. I absolutely don't think he was worth the money.

I totally get that -- same feeling I had long ago with the Sideshow Jabba for just $120, but at the time I felt that hollow plastic toy wasn't worth more than $39.99 in a TRU bin at best. People argue that its a great sculpt, and that may be, but SS jacked the price to be "in line" with their Star Wars figures not because manufacturing cost that much. I've seen rubber crocodiles that size with as many colors in their paint apps for far less. It was a true rip-off.

That's why I have never pulled the trigger on Thanos myself.

I totally get that -- same feeling I had long ago with the Sideshow Jabba for just $120, but at the time I felt that hollow plastic toy wasn't worth more than $39.99 in a TRU bin at best. People argue that its a great sculpt, and that may be, but SS jacked the price to be "in line" with their Star Wars figures not because manufacturing cost that much. I've seen rubber crocodiles that size with as many colors in their paint apps for far less. It was a true rip-off.

That's why I have never pulled the trigger on Thanos myself.
Exactly. At that moment you wonder why you're even dropping the big bucks. For me it extends to certain non-oversized figures too. Too much pleather and it looks cheap. But you can't collect only guys in suits either. There's that grey area where there's enough soft goods for it too fully truly premium, and the design is also good enough. The Vision figures look far too cheap to me, the Thor ones are somewhere in the middle, while someone such as Dr. Strange is the best the scale has to offer with the various soft goods, an intricate design and so on. Star Wars in general lends itself to 1/6th, since most characters have just enough real world clothing and fantastical armoured bits to be both interesting and "feasible". Comic costumes were always more outlandish due to appearing in paper first and not being restrained by real world limitations, plus the MCU uses too much pleather, so results vary. But the Hulk, Thanos, Darkseid, etc characters were never in my radar. I caved in with Thanos due to his importance in my Marvel Cosmic collection, but that's as far as I'll go. I've got the 4th World Omnis, but I'd never drop 500$+ on Darkseid; I'd rather get a Superman. Honestly, I'll always prefer pieces with a headsculpt, because the realistic face is the main attraction here. Not that most of my characters don't have cool masks, but you get the point. It's why I'm hesitant in regards to characters like Chewbacca, Yoda, Rocket Raccoon and the such. At that point I feel as if I'm collecting pricier Hasbros. But it's a case-by-case thing.

Jabba could be reworked into a Power Pose type, but it'd again be a chunk of plastic. I do wonder if HT will attempt a Power Pose MODOK from Ant-Man 3. He's got no real articulation that'd be sacrificed and it'd make for a cool display piece if it was kept around the price of a normal figure despite the size.

Boushh Leia or we riot.

Max Rebo band or we burn HT to the ground :lol

OCc61DA.gif

u12l14m14.jpg

kg_jabba-sand-skiff-002.jpg

767gy3.jpg
767gun.jpg

giphy.gif

Though at this point even the 3.75" figures have more articulation and detail than these original shooting "models" ever did. Still love the single brief "action" shot which includes all seven leads.

I'l take this in 1:6 with the 7 lead heroes all posed on it together.
(with an optional wall-mount brace. (thing is pretty much a shelf to display figures on anyway)

Last edited:
I would buy a lot of that stormtrooper. I’m weak and need professional help.
Also, nobody has mentioned it that I know of, but ev-9d9 would be a nice surprise. Throw in 8d8 and make it a 2 pack. I kid, I kid. We all know we will get axe f%#]#* woves 2.0 before them.

HT dgaf about the OT.

We’ll get-
- Vader with Shaw sculpt and usb lightsabre
- Luke dlx rerelease with usb lightsabre to make 1.0 owners buy again.
- Boba Fett rerelease
- Stormtrooper rerelease
- ESB Yoda with deathbed accessory…

What I’d like to see;
- Gamorean Guards that don’t look like belly dancers
- Oola the actual dancer from Jabba’s palace
- Admiral Ackbar
- Mon Mothma
- Nien Nunb

I’ve got Sideshow’s Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Boushh Leia and Skiff Lando so don’t really need to upgrade.

Yes, an OT Yoda please. I missed the ESB one.

And of course the glossy C3PO and any version of Han.

An interesting one as there's barely any troopers they can do to pad out the releases. I'd say next to no chance for the DS Trooper, AT-ST Driver etc. due to head sculpts. It's way too early for a Scout Trooper re-release. Maybe a Stormtrooper re-release.

I have a horrible feeling they won't touch Jabba's Palace (there is an exception). I doubt they'll do Jabba or Slave Leia, so that doesn't bode well for Gamorreans or Bib Fortuna.

My predictions are:

*Boba Fett (re-release)
*Darth Vader (w. Sebastian Shaw hs)
*Emperor (re-release, but only as part of a 2-pack w. Vader)
*Endor Luke/ROTJ Luke (w. updated non-grimacing hs, and possibly speeder bike)
*Boushh
*Han & Chewie (I actually think this will happen before the ESB version)
*Ewok Village Leia (w. 2-pack option inc. Ewok)
*C-3PO (so that you can accessorise him for any of the OT films)

Last edited:
Back