1/6 Hot Toys Black Widow - White Suit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this white suit looks different enough from her traditional dark suits, plus the sculpted hair looks substantial.

I agree. Normally I'm more preferential to rooted hair, but in this case it's a decent look. I'm no poser of extreme action poses, so like this is fine.

I'm crazy super excited about this, she looks fantastic! :love :love :love

Yes, really growing on me too. Who'd have thought....wasn't really planning on a Black Widow.

I have been looking for a while with none of the recent ones really grabbing me. Short blonde no, sculpted pigtail no. But this looks great ! Just not black, but that's OK.

Like I mentioned she'll stand out in the collection better this way.

Very nice figure but I will be happy with my Endgame Black Widow :) I prefer black suit on Black Widow and also that ponytale hair style.

Not trying to be contrarian, but I really dont like this. Its clear rooted is better. I dont mind sculpted for short hair, but this looks awful.

Not trying to be contrarian, but I really dont like this. Its clear rooted is better. I dont mind sculpted for short hair, but this looks awful.

It's subjective and down to taste I suppose. Justin has a video on YouTube comparing most of the Black Widow figures from HT. To me, after seeing the rooted and sculpted figures side-by-side I don't know how anyone with functional eyes could say rooted is "clearly" better.

Edit: I will add that I've seen 1/6 rooted customs that look absolutely phenomenal and achieve a look that sculpted hair could could never compare to. But I've never seen Hot Toys rooted hair come close to that level of quality. It always looks like Barbie hair.

Have Hot Toys ever considered packing both a sculpted hair and a rooted hair headsculpt in cases like this? That'd be one way of pleasing everyone. Or offering separate releases even.

I agree with everyone else with her neck articulation being super limited now. Its a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker I guess. Still a pretty sculpt. But there's also nothing wrong with rooted hair IMO if you know how to futz

31120801504_cccd25eebc_c.jpg

It's subjective and down to taste I suppose. Justin has a video on YouTube comparing most of the Black Widow figures from HT. To me, after seeing the rooted and sculpted figures side-by-side I don't know how anyone with functional eyes could say rooted is "clearly" better.

They both have their advantages & limitations, and IMO those aren't universal. I think it's dependent not only on the length of the hair but also the hairstyle, shape of the actress's face, etc.. I typically prefer rooted for long hair and sculpted for short, but sometimes (like Endgame BW, this and the new WW84) I think long sculpted allows HT to capture the actress's look better than rooted.

That looks great. I’m sure there will be rooted hair knockoffs.
When Sharon Carter was introduced in the MCU I thought she might eventually get her white SHIELD uniform from the comics. Along with the HYDRA twist, this probably makes that unlikely.

They both have their advantages & limitations, and IMO those aren't universal. I think it's dependent not only on the length of the hair but also the hairstyle, shape of the actress's face, etc.. I typically prefer rooted for long hair and sculpted for short, but sometimes (like Endgame BW, this and the new WW84) I think long sculpted allows HT to capture the actress's look better than rooted.

It's definitely subjective. Widow has had a variety of hair styles, short & long, and I think the rooted look from HT has looked terrible on all of them. They just don't capture the detail of real hair. The strands are too thick and don't fall or flow naturally. It looks even worse when compared to the realistic and accurate headsculpts when HT knocks that element out of the park.

I don't care about the whole 'doll hair' thing -- news flash, they're all dolls. We collect dolls.

I did a lot of work on my CW Widow's hair and it looked *great* but it was tedious and delicate to style properly, and once it was perfect, re-posing it is not really an option anyway unless you want to break out the styling tools again.

I think this one looks great and won't be all *that* much more static than its predecessors with rooted hair. Due to the nature of the outfit this has never been a particularly dynamic figure anyway. Waiting to see the black and gold version, these are pretty far away at any rate, lots of time to decide.

Can't say this is for me; at every shown angle the hair appears like it's floating & does not give the impression of it hanging naturally. In addition to what others have mentioned that it has one working position. In my opinion this is a step in a very wrong direction away from figure & towards statue.

I don't care about the whole 'doll hair' thing -- news flash, they're all dolls. We collect dolls.

It's not necessarily a matter of the stigma associated with collecting "dolls." For some (like me) the rooted hair just doesn't look good unless done well, which can pretty much only be truly be the case when it's done by hand with realistic looking material. The doll association comes from it looking less like human hair and more like what you would find on a cheap doll.

To your point, you can get more mileage with futzing, for sure, though I also greatly appreciate not having to do that.

Some examples of 1/6 rooted hair done well:

John Wick custom:

eced2d37d9fd0202345b4b0814760682.jpg

Upcoming Crown Series Gandalf from Asmus (though it remains to be seen if production will look this good):

asm-gandalf00.jpg

It's not that it can't be done, I just don't think Hot Toys has proven themselves capable yet. This shift towards sculpted hair could signal them abandoning the effort altogether, if it's received well.

It's not necessarily a matter of the stigma associated with collecting "dolls." For some (like me) the rooted hair just doesn't look good unless done well, which can pretty much only be truly be the case when it's done by hand with realistic looking material. The doll association comes from it looking less like human hair and more like what you would find on a cheap doll.

Fair.

To your point, you can get more mileage with futzing, for sure, though I also greatly appreciate not having to do that.

Yeah, CW was a pain to work on. My only complaints when I was done: hair should be darker and re-posing without a re-futz not possible.

It's not that it can't be done, I just don't think Hot Toys has proven themselves capable yet. This shift towards sculpted hair could signal them abandoning the effort altogether, if it's received well.

I'd have to give you that one.

View attachment 491048

Wow, Scarlett Johansson looks to have aged pretty hard. Too many Hollywood parties?

Back