Hot Toys Batman Forever 1/6th scale Robin Collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted quite some time ago, that if Hot Toys gave us a Val Kilmer Batman before a Pfeiffer Catwoman, I would lose my s---.

I honestly don't know how to react to this figure reveal. If I didn't know better, I would say this universe is deliberately mocking me.

There seems to be significant challenges with a Pfeiffer Catwoman. The suit seems to be a bit obstacle with a material that would be difficult to work with while maintaining integrity over time and at the level of quality expected from Hot Toys.

That added in with the fact making a profit off an older figure that would appeal to a select market (older character, older film, female character, villain) I can see where the math might not add up. Need to make "X" number to cover R&D on it then another "Y" to make profit to justify the release. I know the only other female villain I can think of is Hela but who knows what her production run was and her manufacturing process on that isn't so off the beaten path of other figures.

I'd like that release too- it just makes it harder to justify in a business sense.

Hot Toys will probably make the Sonar version to pair with the Robin but really hope the Panther version will be made too.

If they only make one I hope it's the Panther. It's the main suit for 90% of the movie, and I think would be a better representation of the film.

There seems to be significant challenges with a Pfeiffer Catwoman. The suit seems to be a bit obstacle with a material that would be difficult to work with while maintaining integrity over time and at the level of quality expected from Hot Toys.

That added in with the fact making a profit off an older figure that would appeal to a select market (older character, older film, female character, villain) I can see where the math might not add up. Need to make "X" number to cover R&D on it then another "Y" to make profit to justify the release. I know the only other female villain I can think of is Hela but who knows what her production run was and her manufacturing process on that isn't so off the beaten path of other figures.

I'd like that release too- it just makes it harder to justify in a business sense.

Other companies have made the Returns Catwoman and they sell above retail on the secondary market. For many she remains the definitive Catwoman.

No way this Robin would sell more figures than Catwoman.

Objectively speaking, that's never stopped them before. :lol

We've seen the suit emulated by other companies and in custom creations. While the jury is out on how long those materials will last, I don't think it's a significant obstacle.

This I can see. It would have stood a much better chance had they struck while the iron was hot and released it alongside Batman and a Penguin.

I would still buy one in a heartbeat were it released today, but I'm probably one of a minority of nostalgic, niche collectors with the disposable income and inclination to do so.

I have to reluctantly admit the time for those properties has passed us by -- although the Batman Forever Robin prototype is *very* confusing, I'm just going to assume it'll never see the light of day and neither will Kilmer Batman.

If there ever is time for batman forever high end figures, this is it. The people who were kids then are the ones with disposable income now that are looking for a slice of childhood nostalgia. Look at how Hot Toys output of prequel trilogy figures are ramping up, I imagine they would not be doing so if the market was not there and there is probably a significant cross over between the two.

What OT purists and the Burton batman fans find hard to believe is that (a) there is a market at all or (b) a market which would compare to the one for the remaining figures that they want. And this is mainly because they don't regard these properties / films as objectively good or as good as the ones they like / grew up with. They are not wrong of course, the films are not on the whole as good (though I prefer Forever to Returns) but that's not really the factor here. These films resonate with a different generation of collectors who want to enjoy a slice of the nostalgia cake for a property that was relevant to their childhood. You guys just got to see better movies in the cinema!

Robin is ready to show now and I expect a proper Kilmer batman tease to follow at some point. I doubt these will ever sell Star Wars or Marvel numbers if they make it into production but DC fans are hungry and there is not much else on offer at the moment.

Last edited:
This is the time for batman forever high end figures. [...]

Oh hell, I'll buy 'em if they actually produce them. The films are not 'good' but as you point out they're a piece of a time and place. I was what, 22 years old? What a great time, me being a young idiot notwithstanding.

Objectively speaking, that's never stopped them before. :lol

We've seen the suit emulated by other companies and in custom creations. While the jury is out on how long those materials will last, I don't think it's a significant obstacle.

This I can see. It would have stood a much better chance had they struck while the iron was hot and released it alongside Batman and a Penguin.

I would still buy one in a heartbeat were it released today, but I'm probably one of a minority of nostalgic, niche collectors with the disposable income and inclination to do so.

I have to reluctantly admit the time for those properties has passed us by -- although the Batman Forever Robin prototype is *very* confusing, I'm just going to assume it'll never see the light of day and neither will Kilmer Batman.

Eh, I wouldn't count out Forever. My thing is not showing Batman for this line is troubling and showing Robin that looks... 80% good for the purposes so I think this is to drum up interest. Dollar to donuts I imagine a Batman is JUST about ready to be shown but wasn't quite ready.

I think it is silly they did a teaser for Thicc Thor but didn't show him off here. I am hoping more gets put out before SDCC but there is still the other upcoming show.

If there ever is time for batman forever high end figures, this is it. The people who were kids then are the ones with disposable income now that are looking for a slice of childhood nostalgia. Look at how Hot Toys output of prequel trilogy figures are ramping up, I imagine they would not be doing so if the market was not there and there is probably a significant cross over between the two.

What OT purists and the Burton batman fans find hard to believe is that (a) there is a market at all or (b) a market which would compare to the one for the remaining figures that they want. And this is mainly because they don't regard these properties / films as objectively good or as good as the ones they like / grew up with. They are not wrong of course, the films are not on the whole as good (though I prefer Forever to Returns) but that's not really the factor here. These films resonate with a different generation of collectors who want to enjoy a slice of the nostalgia cake for a property that was relevant to their childhood. You guys just got to see better movies in the cinema!

Robin is ready to show now and I expect a proper Kilmer batman tease to follow at some point. I doubt these will ever sell Star Wars or Marvel numbers if they make it into production but DC fans are hungry and there is not much else on offer at the moment.

:exactly::goodpost:

:lol :lol :lol

BX3j6uT.gif

The only Batman Forever figure I would ever even consider dropping Hot Toys money on is The Riddler

If they only make one I hope it's the Panther. It's the main suit for 90% of the movie, and I think would be a better representation of the film.

If they only make one it'll be the Sonar. It pairs with Robin and would be marketed that way to try and get people to feel like they needed both. Not to mention that in the image that people nabbed it was the Sonar Suit:

attachment.php

The hope is that we get both.

That's the ticket. The nostalgia. I vividly remember buying all the Forever toys and hitting up McDonalds for the glasses (I still have The Batman and The Riddler glasses at my Mom's house :lol), I remember hitting up the Warner Bros Studio Store in the mall and getting the illuminated Riddler watch for Christmas. The film is campy and doesn't hold up but it hit that chord so hard in growing up that it has a different appeal than something brand new that I may genuinely like more than this film. It's a weird effect.

Very well said sir!

Yeah for me Batman Forever is all about nostalgia. Might not be the best movie, but I had a lot of fun with it in 1995. The hype, the posters, the trailer, the merchandise, the McDonald’s glasses, that summer and the rest of the year was great.

I didn’t hate it when it first came out either. I was way less critical than I am now. Batman 1989, Batman Forever and the Dark Knight were all exciting times to be a Batman fan and any collectibles that can remind me of how I felt then is something I’m interested in. Those three moments, 1989, 1995 and 2008 revitalized the franchise as far as I’m concerned. It’s when Batman felt fresh again. That said, I’m still pissed that Returns Penguin and Catwoman seem to have fallen by the way side. I hope Hot Toys takes advantage of the next year of no real Batman movie or game presence to focus on all the Batman movies from 1989-2019. Doesn’t look promising though. Even Star Wars feels like it’s been getting shafted.

Yeah for me Batman Forever is all about nostalgia. Might not be the best movie, but I had a lot of fun with it in 1995. The hype, the posters, the trailer, the merchandise, the McDonald’s glasses, that summer and the rest of the year was great.

I didn’t hate it when it first came out either. I was way less critical than I am now. Batman 1989, Batman Forever and the Dark Knight were all exciting times to be a Batman fan and any collectibles that can remind me of how I felt then is something I’m interested in. Those three moments, 1989, 1995 and 2008 revitalized the franchise as far as I’m concerned. It’s when Batman felt fresh again. That said, I’m still pissed that Returns Penguin and Catwoman seem to have fallen by the way side. I hope Hot Toys takes advantage of the next year of no real Batman movie or game presence to focus on all the Batman movies from 1989-2019. Doesn’t look promising though. Even Star Wars feels like it’s been getting shafted.

Agreed. People have blind love to 1989 and while it created the foundation for Bat films it doesn't really hold up nowadays.

Agreed. People have blind love to 1989 and while it created the foundation for Bat films it doesn't really hold up nowadays.

I love the Batman films of that era for costuming, art direction, set pieces, Elfman's score, unapologetic earnest weirdness ... but fine cinema they are not. And they really don't have to be.

Back