1/6 Hot Toys - BATMAN (1989) - Bob "The Goon"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's incredibly cheap to produce then maybe, I guess, that might explain why this guy shows up but still not certain primary villain characters that people have been requesting since Hot Toys got the license....??

Yeah, I won't get him :lol

I'll get another Jack Joker...maybe...probably.

Oh wow, a Bob the Goon and helicopter 2 pack! :lol
Like that 1:1 Giantman they had previously or the multicolor 66 Batmen, I can't see this being anything more than a 1 off custom for the show.

I sure hope it's not a display piece and an actual product. I need a Bob. This would be amazing

I'd really love these two figures as well.

chris-clooney_batman_forever_warnerbros.jpg

Do we really want to invite in bitching about inaccurate nipples? :dunno

I can't believe this will happen. Would be the least successful Hot Toys figure ever. Ganado Chainsaw guy would like like Iron Man Mark 4 compared to him.

I find it funny how people complain in this section so much about never getting anything Burton Batman related yet the last couple releases (Mime Joker and the Batman/Bruce Wayne two pack) they've done have gotten tepid reactions. Those figures were pretty good releases overall other than maybe the Keaton sculpt could have been better on the Wayne fig but it wasn't terrible and yet people seemingly are indifferent to those releases. I get that people want Penguin and Catwoman but Bob is still a cool potential release in my opinion. He's always been a fan favorite and has a cool look in my opinion.

If people knew for a fact that Penguin and Catwoman were coming I think they would have been more excited about Mime Joker and the Wayne two-pack. Right now it just looks like all Hot Toys is willing to do on the Burton movies is give us Batman and Joker variations, and not many of them at that.

I doubt Bob will actually be released. If he is though I would pretty much take it as given that we'll be getting Catwoman at some point.

a Bob/helicopter two-pack would be awesome. I'd buy the crap out of that.

I find it funny how people complain in this section so much about never getting anything Burton Batman related yet the last couple releases (Mime Joker and the Batman/Bruce Wayne two pack) they've done have gotten tepid reactions. Those figures were pretty good releases overall other than maybe the Keaton sculpt could have been better on the Wayne fig but it wasn't terrible and yet people seemingly are indifferent to those releases. I get that people want Penguin and Catwoman but Bob is still a cool potential release in my opinion. He's always been a fan favorite and has a cool look in my opinion.

DX14 is a very nice figure but that version of Joker wasn't high on people's list of wants maybe? I think I know why Hot Toys chose it - because it's probably the most distinct look from the one they'd already released in DX08. But the fact is more people wanted his Museum look and his flesh-tone makeup gangster look.

The Batman Returns Batman took much longer to materialise than was expected given it was announced in 2012 and when it did finally come out it was half-assed compared to other figures. Look at all the special work that went into the Batfleck figure to maintain aesthetic while keeping him articulated. The Batman Returns figure is essentially a 1:6 scale Sideshow PF. It can't move. And it really didn't need to be that way. Add to that the terrible Keaton sculpt and the lack of variety of expression in the mouth-pieces - 2 of them are virtually identical when there were reference pics aplenty for obvious alternatives from the film. It wasn't Hot Toys best work and the fact it took so long to come out in the first place compounded this.

And Bob the Goon coming out (maybe) doesn't change the fact that there's still no (far more requested) Penguin and Catwoman - both of whom were quite understandably assumed to be coming when Hot Toys originally announced the license. Personally I see nothing wrong with people bringing them up now.

The reaction to those figures is funny because they're almost like polar opposites in why the reactions were, as you said, so "tepid." Mime Joker is fantastic, quality wise, and I'd argue that it's possibly an even better Nicholson likeness than the DX 08, but it's such a obscure choice for a figure. It's a great look and an incredibly unique looking figure, but when you have so many other sought after looks to choose from (Museum Joker, Mob Joker, Forst Appearance, etc.) I think a lot of people were left a little puzzled by it, and, because it is such a niche choice for a figure, that reaction is to be expected. On the flip side, there's the Returns Batman, and I feel like a lot of things contributed to the mediocre response to that figure, Hot Toys, themselves, being just one of those factors.

Unlike the Mime Joker, Returns Batman was not a niche choice, and a lot of people clamored for it...and clamored for it...and clamored for it...and clamored for it...and waited for it...and waited for it...and waited for it...and waited for it...and wondered if it was cancelled...and some even gave up on it, altogether. Unlike the Mime Joker, though, I think the mediocre reaction to it has a lot to do with the fact that it's just a mediocre figure. I think the DX 09 left a particularly high bar they needed to reach, and I think that the amount of time that passed only continued to raise those expectations, and then, suddenly, the wait is over and the figure they're looking just doesn't meet those expectations. You get a Bruce Wayne head that's one of their most mediocre, generic likenesses ever, a bunch of faceplates that, while featuring a great likeness, seem like modified versions of the existing ones, and a lack of the glider. Now, most of that doesn't sound all that bad, and it may have even had a great reception, had it not taken 4 ****ing years, but, simply put, what came out was not worth the wait.

To all the naysayers:
Bob is a more interesting figure than Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Gordon and John Nobody Blake.
Reality hurts but it is what it is.

Why HT chooses to produce what they do sometimes is a mystery but I can see Bob selling well if/when they make him. I'd take a Bob figure over anything from Returns any day.

If Hot Toys were releasing this figure, you'd think he would be displayed more prominently. I'm inclined to believe this is a one-off custom created solely for the display.

Responding to both a-dev and batfan08

I understand why people want Penguin and Catwoman more but still we're getting some figures which is better than nothing at all. I agree that not all the figures we've gotten have been perfect but I still think they've been mostly decent. Mime Joker basically seems like because it wasn't the version people expected to get that they didn't want it even though it was a decent figure. I think the Batman Returns figure is good overall and it seems to get dragged down mostly due to the Keaton sculpt. The figure itself looks good other than that in my opinion and has decent accessories (other than the glider some people wanted).

All I can say is that it's not really a surprise to not see more when big characters like Batman and The Joker seem to sit pretty long before selling out and then people wonder why they aren't releasing more.

The event he's being displayed at isn't open to the public yet, right? When should we be seeing more pictures of this guy?

Last edited:
Back