Hot Toys Back to the Future II - DeLorean - Mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I get less confident about being able to pull off the ‘advanced mod’ every day.
Still no sign of my DeLorean though so not gonna panic yet.

And for clarification in the above photo, the left jack is for the battery power (unhooked for photo). The right jack just goes to the three way button switch.
Make sure the power out is going to the switch.
Basically USBC goes to the power circuit and BATTERY pack goes to power circuit. The power output goes to switch.
This is the default. Hot toys did a lazy job with the circuit design.
A9F8CC66-556A-4FDF-8796-899149930BDD.jpeg
CF4F9C97-CED5-46F4-ACBA-2E602B0E9FEA.jpeg

Oh man, I get less confident about being able to pull off the ‘advanced mod’ every day.
Still no sign of my DeLorean though so not gonna panic yet.
I can promise you that getting the hood off is the actual hard part. The wiring is straight forward once you understand how poorly hot toys “designed” the circuitry. It’s literally a splitter into a splitter into another splitter. 😂

I agree - thank you so much for your help so far!!

I am wondering if there’s a problem with the usb power. As a test I ran a jumper from the usb output directly to the battery terminal on the flight board, and nothing happened.

I may end up having to use one of those AA battery eliminators instead.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The hood portion can be removed via the screws under the hood and under the windshield wipers. You’d also have to pull out the front grille to access screws that hood onto the front. Remove the wiring on both sides and pull up from the back and it comes out very easily. I’ve circled the locations for all the screws. There’s a lot!
This is amazing!!!!! EXACTLY what I've been searching for! THANK YOU for having the guts to do this! Quick question, how did you pull out the front grill?
Tony

I agree - thank you so much for your help so far!!

I am wondering if there’s a problem with the usb power. As a test I ran a jumper from the usb output directly to the battery terminal on the flight board, and nothing happened.

I may end up having to use one of those AA battery eliminators instead.
Unfortunately I wouldn’t know. Maybe check the usb cable or power adapter you’re using? I’ve heard a report or two of the USBC port not working on this one too. If you have a volt meter, I’d check the output with a known working USB c cable and adapter connected. Good luck.

This is amazing!!!!! EXACTLY what I've been searching for! THANK YOU for having the guts to do this! Quick question, how did you pull out the front grill?
Tony
Good question! At first I was pulling at it with my fingers but it wouldn’t budge.

I didn’t want to pry it off so I took a glue stick, melt one end, then take that end and stuck it on one side of the grill. Let it sit and dry. Pulled the glue stick. Bam. Came out easily.
(little trick I saw people use to pull dents out of their car fenders, 🤣)

Last edited:
Is anyone trying to do a better stand? This plastic stand scares me for such a heavy vehicle. Love something metal and more adjustable too.

Anyone successfully add any el wire to the flux bands? Would love to have them lit up in flight mode

Anyone successfully add any el wire to the flux bands? Would love to have them lit up in flight mode
This. :lecture

Can’t believe light-up flux bands were never an option/consideration on the HT.

I had a play with them in March when the Delorean arrived. I came up with a way to hide the wires in with the car's wires. It just didn't give the effect I was after so I didn't feel it was worth the effort and I'm lazy. Maybe 4-5 wires on each band would give enough light.

PXL_20230318_152834826.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230318_152847218.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230318_152906573.jpg

Just saw this now, T800. That definitely has potential.

And by the way, I've got Part 2 Doc arriving in a day or two and Part 1 Marty later this week. I can't believe that I've hit the slippery slope and now need the third main character...

I was working on this with the V1 car. I drilled 2 holes into each bracket to accommadate the wire.

del4.jpg

Wire fitted, i only had yellow at the time.

del5.jpg

Fitted to the car.

del6.jpg

The 2 wires is correct, as this screengrab shows. It brightens up then looks like 1 thick band.

del7.jpg

I was in the middle of this, then started scratchbuilding entire vehicles. I will get back to it someday.

I was working on this with the V1 car. I drilled 2 holes into each bracket to accommadate the wire.

del4.jpg

Wire fitted, i only had yellow at the time.

del5.jpg

Fitted to the car.

del6.jpg

The 2 wires is correct, as this screengrab shows. It brightens up then looks like 1 thick band.

del7.jpg

I was in the middle of this, then started scratchbuilding entire vehicles. I will get back to it someday.
This is incredible work! I was contemplating doing the same thing but worry damaging it during drilling those same holes. Mega props to you for a job well done!

On the side I’ve been working on something for the Delorean to “sit” on.
1693235622705.jpeg

1693235536135.jpeg

1693235381765.jpeg

1693235407997.jpeg

Back