1/6 Hot Toys Avengers: Endgame - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Starkgate situation is so bad JC Hong had to delete his TS head sculpt post and privatize his IG account.

So stupid. Over a toy head. SERIOUS 1st world problems.

I love all my 4 dozen or so Iron Man figures but i would never get angry over something i did not like (i would just cancel the order) and if i did it would be time for me to sell and quit the hobby.

He seems to hate the new sculpt.

The suit looks fine, but the proto was cleaner with less gaps. It certainly doesn't look as wonky as the picture above though.

A comparison with Justin's video:
85.jpg

I wonder what this means for the Sideshow batches though.

Last edited:
Seriously, WHY would they change the shoulder from what it was to THAT?!?! SOOOO frustrating. There are more important things to be concerned about this year, but talk about another punch in the gut.

85_front.jpg
85_rear.jpg

It's basically an entirely new figure. Not saying it's total garbage. It's just not as advertised. :)
As I've said in the previous post.. those lanky legs, the weird torso shape and proportion. The color of the armor from proto to final also does not look good. Just my opinion but I'm keeping my order because I didn't get the BD version.

View attachment 502006
Most of the changes spoken about here and elsewhere are done for the sake of film accuracy. The prototype is based on Ryan Meinerding’s concept art. The final is based on the film. You may prefer the look of the prototype, which is fine, but the final figure is undeniably more screen accurate.
6BC5C921-B66E-449C-AA39-814D4452BCB3.jpeg81DB87ED-9D30-476A-8888-434A22EEF62C.jpeg

Proportion and paint comparisons on a figure like this don’t really hold much weight to me unless you somehow have both figures in hand. Considering that you have to take into account lighting, angle, and all of the intricate posing options you can do with figures like this, photographs are hard to use for judgement.

I understand and agree with complaints about the head sculpt, as we’ve seen and been given better before. And I also understand that people may just dislike the look of the figure, which is also totally fine. But to dislike the armor because the proportions seemed better on a few photos of a proto seems like a huge reach. Just look back at the original official release photos of the prototype. Those seem far worse than what we have here, but again, we can’t really judge, because it could be angle, pose, etc.

Anybody noticing the color is way off? The darker gold color is changed to the more generic bright and yellow gold of other IM. It changed from the prototype and I can't unsee it.

Justin's review does a side by side comparison, and you can see that the 85 is just as yellow, if not more bright yellow than the 50.

This figure is feeling more rushed the more I keep looking at it. Why did they have to change the color scheme from the proto?

Last edited:
Anybody noticing the color is way off? The darker gold color is changed to the more generic bright and yellow gold of other IM. It changed from the prototype and I can't unsee it.

Justin's review does a side by side comparison, and you can see that the 85 is just as yellow, if not more bright yellow than the 50.

This figure is feeling more rushed the more I keep looking at it. Why did they have to change the color scheme from the proto?

Yeh the gold is not like the proto was showed, a bit too dark, it should be more like the Thanos armor gold i think.

And the lat muscle part is a bit slimmer than the proto, wish they have kept that, that suit was so chonky in the movie and i really liked that look :)

It's also worth noting that Hot Toys is most likely working from renders of the design itself, and not the final film.

So, just like the Mk 46, there is a color difference from the figure and the film version.

Marvel color grade their movies with a strong blue tint. This made the Mk46 red appear to be a bit more almost magenta on screen.

The official Mk85 renders and designs are most likely a stronger gold than what appears on screen after the color grading. I certainly wished the figure shipped with the lighter gold coloring, but I understand why.

I also think Hot Toys color grades their photos to capture the cinematic look of the movies. They probably shouldn't be doing this, if it doesn't accurately reflect the true colors of the product.

It's also worth noting that Hot Toys is most likely working from renders of the design itself, and not the final film.

So, just like the Mk 46, there is a color difference from the figure and the film version.

Marvel color grade their movies with a strong blue tint. This made the Mk46 red appear to be a bit more almost magenta on screen.

The official Mk85 renders and designs are most likely a stronger gold than what appears on screen after the color grading. I certainly wished the figure shipped with the lighter gold coloring, but I understand why.

I also think Hot Toys color grades their photos to capture the cinematic look of the movies. They probably shouldn't be doing this, if it doesn't accurately reflect the true colors of the product.

I mean the prototype in person def. was a different color than production.

This seems like a cost measure more than accuracy.

With the exception of the headsculpt, it looks pretty good. I don't know why HT went with spring-loaded shoulder armor, but it seems to close the gaps adequately. I still wish that armor wasn't quite so thick - I would have preferred it didn't stick out quite so far where it meets his arms. The biceps seem a tad thin, especially in straight-on shots. It seems like the bicep armor isn't contoured as smoothly as the Mk 50's, and that is contributing to the thinner appearance. The leg proportions look fine once they're ratcheted to the appropriate position. Like Justin, I'm not thrilled with the gap (looking from the side) at the bottom of the chest section, but I doubt that will be obvious when posing.

From Justin's review:

IM85_1.jpeg IM85_2.jpeg

Prototype was definitely leaps and bounds better than what's come out. similar to how Aquaman was. The upper torso with the arms and shoulders sitting flush and them actually having ribcages tapering down to their waist. The colours were so much better on the proto also...

Justin's review just reinforces my earlier decision. Does the figure suck? No. But it's not good enough, and I'm not fixating on the Stark portrait, which is a separate issue.

I think the design on-screen is difficult to translate effectively into a mass-produced figure, and Hot Toys didn't quite manage. I don't like the final execution in terms of engineering or overall proportions.

I think it was Hologram AI that remarked back when MMS500 was released, that it was their best 1/6 armour to date, and I have to agree. While it isn't perfect, they seem to have peaked there and I'd call this a small step back.

Welp, money and space saved! ;)

The new shoulders protrude too much. The proto was more accurate. This release is really disappointing. Not something you'll expect from a figure of the swan song armor.

I think I might cancel my pre-order. Lot of little issues with it, but with the inaccurate paint I am questioning why do I really need it. It just doesn't seem worth all that money for something that feels unoriginal and doesn't show a lot of heart in it. I will just wait for the Battle Damaged to see if there are improvements, and not waste $400.

HT also added more of that gun metal/silver to the thigh gap area vs. the prototype. I wish they had left it red as my eye is now drawn to that gap whereas it wasn't previously. :slap

Prototype:

64918590_965994753738905_1001510119519824068_n.jpg

66316335_160243585141142_1490959087970610735_n.jpg

Production:

IM85_1.jpeg

So after watching Justin's review it seems HT is gonna go the cheap/quick fix for the headsculpt and give us the old 46/47/50 sculpt...while it's WAYYYYY better than the POS we were going to receive, it's still disappointing that we're receiving an old portrait that's at least 4 years old. :dunno

Back