Hot Toys 1/6 scale The Driver from Drive (2011 film)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would love for Hot Toys, Enterbay, Blitzway, or even Sideshow to make a 1/6 scale collectible figure of The Driver from the film Drive (2011). It's a great film character, in fact one of my favorites, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about the character and the film. The figure can come in a cool box featuring the retro 80's graphic design/style from the film's opening credits and posters, and of course, plenty of cool accessories to display with The Driver.

Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert wrote: "The entire film, in fact, seems much more real than the usual action-crime-chase concoctions we've grown tired of. Here is a movie with respect for writing, acting and craft. It has respect for knowledgable moviegoers."

Richard Roeper has declared it as his favorite film of 2011.

the-joker_00419243_zpsbae09b36.png

Accessories he can come with (Shotgun, single bullet, sunglasses, and toothpick)

Koala_zpsee08cf35.jpg

Spoilers

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYjFNh_aIA[/ame]

Koala_zpsef946eaf.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8S9KSAwlCs[/ame]

Drive

Refn and Gosling cruise streets of fire...

Anyone expecting Transporter 4 or Fast & Furious 6 will see their expectations crash and burn within 10 seconds.

As the camera scuds between twinkling skyscrapers in downtown LA, credits of the hottest pink light up a widescreen sky of the blackest velvet and a Euro-electro score pulses, pulses, pulses.

This, immediately, is the world of ’80s Michael Mann movies, of A-game Walter Hill pictures, of William Friedkin’s style-drenched neo-noir To Live And Die In LA.

Post-credits, Drive hits the ground cruising as Ryan Gosling’s wheelman glides through an asphalt jungle in a classic Motor City machine, toothpick jutting from clenched teeth.

On the radio, a basketball game blips and burbles – a seemingly incidental detail that will prove key to the action. Driver (for that is the only name he’s given) works the gear shaft and feeds the wheel; his knuckles flex, his leather gloves creak.

Composed and confident, laconic and iconic, he’s about to prove he’s the best getaway driver in town…

Night and the city

Long considered a talented maverick whose spiky sensibility could never fit into square old Hollywood, Danish filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn (The Pusher Trilogy, Bronson) has here made an explosive action movie that got Cannes critics whooping in the aisles.

But don’t be fooled: a Cannes critic’s guilty ‘mainstream’ pleasure is a multiplex viewer’s art movie, and any jolting violence is cushioned by lush, low-key longueurs comprised of geometric cityscapes, abstract tableaux, striking camera angles, calibrated light and shadow, reflective surfaces, empty corridors and terse, economic exchanges full of syncopated beats.

There is, of course, a girl, and she even lives next door. Irene (Carey Mulligan) cares for her young son (Kaden Leos) while her husband (Oscar Isaac) does time. Driver, naturally, finds himself not only gravitating towards her but breaking all of his own rules to protect her.

It is for Irene, circuitously, that he takes on a pawn-shop heist that goes inevitably wrong, and she is the baggage that weighs down our previously unburdened, unemotional crim as he feels the heat around the corner.

Clichéd? Sure, only Refn and screenwriter Hossein Amini, adapting James Sallis’ book, play out the de rigueur romantic sub-plot in unexpected ways: Driver and Irene communicate largely in silence, their bond forged through shifting gazes and meaningful half-smiles (DoP Newton Thomas Sigel maps the human face as closely as downtown LA); and the film’s most swooningly romantic flourish precedes its most violent set-piece.

Star vehicle

It’s this clashing of moods and subverting of stereotypes that sets Drive’s engine purring, with Refn swerving between blazing daylight and silky night, between staple set-ups and offbeat outcomes, between familiar faces and surprising character traits (funnyman Albert Brooks ices blood as a Hollywood producer/ gangster), between glimmering helicopter shots and tyre-squealing ground-level chases, between crushed skulls and synth pop, between classic movies and Refn’s unique worldview.

It makes for a film both archetypal and fresh and, as such, it’s hard to put a pin through. Gosling wasn’t kidding when he described Drive as a mix of Blue Velvet and Purple Rain…

The cast is strong, from Mulligan’s serenely stoical princess (Drive can be read as an urban fairytale) to Bryan Cranston’s mechanic/fixer to Ron Perlman’s intimidating henchman.

But it is Gosling, along with Refn’s meticulous, dynamic direction, that is the star of the show, his tight-lipped turn evoking the cool charisma of Steve McQueen in Bullitt or Alain Delon in Le Samouraï.

Dressed in aviator shades, driving gloves and a satin racing jacket emblazoned, tellingly, with a scorpion, his Driver may be a blank-faced cut-out deprived of the barest hint of backstory, but he’s an intriguing, mesmerising blank-faced cut-out – the kind of amoral, dysfunctional anti-hero that so often becomes a poster boy.

Might he register as this generation’s Man With No Name, their Travis Bickle? Perhaps that’s going too far, but Gosling’s Hollywood-stuntman-by-day, getaway-driver-by-night is the stuff of fantasy, and his mysterious dispensation towards dishing Gaspar Noé levels of violence is exactly what got the Cannes viewers cheering.

Verdict:

An action crime movie that’s as cerebral and surreal as it is red-blooded. If director Refn and star Gosling accelerate into the mainstream with Drive, they’ll be doing it on their own terms, with style.

Hydrangeas_zpse0ac0f25.jpg

SPOILERS
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by2RU6dZyrs[/ame]

ryan-3.jpg

Penguins_zps950f34c1.jpg

Lighthouse_zps4d2c02eb.jpg

Koala_zpsbc07ae50.jpg

Penguins_zpsa4bebaaf.jpg

securedownload_zps7494506b.jpg

Last edited:
i saw this movie a while back and yes its a dam good movie. cool music also. a ht figure of the unamed driver would be great.

i saw this movie a while back and yes its a dam good movie. cool music also. a ht figure of the unamed driver would be great.

Yes, really good soundtrack. I wish HT would make a figure of this character, but right now, that seems unlikely since they are more focused on big summer films. However, Enterbay and Blitzway could make an official figure of the driver. After all, they made Scarface and Carlito's Way figures...so maybe one day :pray:

I would not hold my breath waiting for an official version. If you want this character, go the custom route.

I saw the custom, and it sure looks good. I can tell that the artist working on the project put a lot of time and effort to make sure he or they do the character justice. Unfortunately, it also looks like a very expensive custom, understandably so.. since they are only making 20 figures. I guess my only choice is to wait for an official figure :thud:

Last edited:
I guess my only choice is to wait for an official figure :thud:
Well, like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath. The chances of this happening are extremely low. I've learned that if you want to get characters from franchises that don't appeal to the big companies, you just have to pay the price that customs command.

Well, like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath. The chances of this happening are extremely low. I've learned that if you want to get characters from franchises that don't appeal to the big companies, you just have to pay the price that customs command.

I know..I know, but look at Carlito's Way :) Drive received better reviews and it made more money at the box office...maybe one day :impatient: Also, I hope they make sequel. There's a new book and both the actor and the director would like to revisit the character again...

If Gosling continues to grow in popularity and if a sequel does indeed get off the ground, I see it as a very real possibility. Even if an official one doesn't get made, I think there's still room for someone like Brothers Productions to make a rendition in the near future.

Until then, I'll be happy with my Laney/Rocco Driver once it's complete. : )

If Gosling continues to grow in popularity and if a sequel does indeed get off the ground, I see it as a very real possibility. Even if an official one doesn't get made, I think there's still room for someone like Brothers Productions to make a rendition in the near future.

Until then, I'll be happy with my Laney/Rocco Driver once it's complete. : )

:exactly::goodpost:

I know..I know, but look at Carlito's Way :) Drive received better reviews and it made more money at the box office...maybe one day :impatient: Also, I hope they make sequel. There's a new book and both the actor and the director would like to revisit the character again...
From my understanding, the only reason Carlito's Way got a figure is because it is one of the few films that Pacino doesn't have veto power over regarding use of his likeness (similar to Scarface). Pacino is a great, iconic actor that Enterbay has been interested in pursuing figures of. Drive guy, he's good, but he's no Pacino. Dream on if this is what you hope will happen, but I'm really just trying to give you some realistic expectations here. There are more no-brainer slam-dunk licenses that these companies haven't pursued yet, so the idea that they'll go after a minor cult hit released a year or two ago seems like a longshot at best.

The only chance of this being made is if an upstart company does it,they womt be able to get the batman,iron man liscence so they go with lesser known stuff.you also can't compare how much money this film made to how much carlitos way made,they came out at different times,and I'm sure overall with dvd sales carlitos way probly has made more money.I personally didn't like this movie at all and wouldn't buy a figure even if ht made it but I would like to see it done cause maybe I could use some clothing or accesories for a kitbash.

karamazo[B said:
[/B]v80;5247387]From my understanding, the only reason Carlito's Way got a figure is because it is one of the few films that Pacino doesn't have veto power over regarding use of his likeness (similar to Scarface). Pacino is a great, iconic actor that Enterbay has been interested in pursuing figures of. Drive guy, he's good, but he's no Pacino. Dream on if this is what you hope will happen, but I'm really just trying to give you some realistic expectations here. There are more no-brainer slam-dunk licenses that these companies haven't pursued yet, so the idea that they'll go after a minor cult hit released a year or two ago seems like a longshot at best.

I'll keep dreaming :lol You're right about the other licenses, and unfortunately, it seems as if all my favorite characters don't stand a chance. Here is my list of most wanted 1/6 scale figures. Beetlejuice, Dr.Hannibal Lecter, Rambo (part 1 or 2), Dr. Peter Venkman (i don't buy from mattel), Bill the Butcher, Anton Chigurh, Blondie, The Dude, Capt. Jack sparrow from the first film (i have the dx06...not the same), James Bond (Sean Connery..is there another bond?) T1 T800 (leather jacket version)...and The Driver :)

Last edited:
Back