Action Figure Hot Toys 1/4 scale Iron Man Mark 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked this up from Sideshow during the Black Friday sale and finally opened it up yesterday. Long post ahead, but the short version- I have mixed feelings about this figure, though for now, I'm mostly happy with it.

Since this is my first 1/4 scale figure, I spent the first couple hours reading the instructions and figuring out how the articulation/features work. I broke off a couple pieces trying to get parts to articulate (I'm generally pretty careful, but it's harder to get a grip on a giant 1/4 scale figure with delicate parts all over the place), which had me pretty frustrated. As my first foray into this scale, it didn't feel worth all the hassle, and I was about ready to just pack it up and return it.

But once I started posing it, I was able to bring some life to the figure, and it looks pretty amazing when it's posed (like many of the pictures in this thread). I have the 1/6 scale diecast Mark III, and this easily beats it in terms of shelf presence, especially with the lights on.

However, the more I look at it, I'm not convinced it has better proportions than what the 1/6 diecast figure has. It definitely has better articulation (ab crunch, how I missed thee) and a (much) better paint job, plus battle damaged swap-out pieces. But other than that, it looks like a blown-up version of the 1/6 figure. I don't have plans to collect further in the 1/4 scale line (though now I understand why people like the larger scale), so it doesn't quite fit in with the larger collection. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping this long-term, but for now, it's a really good-looking representation of the Mark III (which I wish the 1/6 figure had been).

And a quick picture to add to the thread (apologies for the phone picture and desk clutter):
Spoiler Spoiler:

Its unfortunately not near the detail and accuracy of the other 1/4 armors. The 42/43 are masterpieces, and I don't even like the Mk45 but it looks about as good as it could in QS, better than the CGI in the film at least. HT continues to bafflingly struggle with the Mk3 chassis, I really had high hopes they could nail this one given the track record in the scale but its a miss to that high standard, even discounting the color that no one can agree on.

I picked this up from Sideshow during the Black Friday sale and finally opened it up yesterday. Long post ahead, but the short version- I have mixed feelings about this figure, though for now, I'm mostly happy with it.

Since this is my first 1/4 scale figure, I spent the first couple hours reading the instructions and figuring out how the articulation/features work. I broke off a couple pieces trying to get parts to articulate (I'm generally pretty careful, but it's harder to get a grip on a giant 1/4 scale figure with delicate parts all over the place), which had me pretty frustrated. As my first foray into this scale, it didn't feel worth all the hassle, and I was about ready to just pack it up and return it.

But once I started posing it, I was able to bring some life to the figure, and it looks pretty amazing when it's posed (like many of the pictures in this thread). I have the 1/6 scale diecast Mark III, and this easily beats it in terms of shelf presence, especially with the lights on.

However, the more I look at it, I'm not convinced it has better proportions than what the 1/6 diecast figure has. It definitely has better articulation (ab crunch, how I missed thee) and a (much) better paint job, plus battle damaged swap-out pieces. But other than that, it looks like a blown-up version of the 1/6 figure. I don't have plans to collect further in the 1/4 scale line (though now I understand why people like the larger scale), so it doesn't quite fit in with the larger collection. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping this long-term, but for now, it's a really good-looking representation of the Mark III (which I wish the 1/6 figure had been).

And a quick picture to add to the thread (apologies for the phone picture and desk clutter):
Any tips on the unboxing. I don't want to break off bits of the figure too! [emoji6]

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

He comes easily out of the box just be careful with the arm rockets take your time when opening them up. Otherwise fantastic figure enjoy. Upload pics

I'm a little surprised this is still available at Sideshow. From what I've seen people like it a lot. This is a classic armor, and I believe the other QS IM figures have gone up in price since selling out.

All I want anymore are QS Iron Man suits, but this one is a bridge too far, too many issues with the details. I've been waiting for the Mk2 to go up for order instead to sidestep the paint color entirely

It's an awesome figure that people won't think twice about dropping 1k on in a few years from now.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Agreed very underrated and so cool in hand even the color is closer than the 1/6 version by far. If you needed 1 representation of IM this would be the one IMO.

I've had this since it was released and I still love it. My only criticism is that HT does a better job hiding the wrist join in their 1/6 line. The gap at the wrist is a little too big. Otherwise a fantastic figure.

I've seen it, its still wrong. Better sure, but still wrong. Yadda yadda yadda it matches the prop, years later I still don't give a crap what the prop that wasn't actually in the film looks like. That and a half dozen other things. Big letdown compared to the detail and accuracy of the other QS marks, not worth $600 to me.

I wish it were more popular cause I want this line to thrive, but they've massively oversaturated the market with overpriced Iron Men and all these shelf warmers are surely reshuffling future releases. Now that they have a bottomless well of Spider-Men and Mandos they don't even need this cash cow anymore. I had high hopes of Mk4/6, Mk 7, Mk46/47 QS releases (anything they can repaint obv). Gone the way of the rest of the HPP...

I've seen it, its still wrong. Better sure, but still wrong. Yadda yadda yadda it matches the prop, years later I still don't give a crap what the prop that wasn't actually in the film looks like. That and a half dozen other things. Big letdown compared to the detail and accuracy of the other QS marks, not worth $600 to me.

I wish it were more popular cause I want this line to thrive, but they've massively oversaturated the market with overpriced Iron Men and all these shelf warmers are surely reshuffling future releases. Now that they have a bottomless well of Spider-Men and Mandos they don't even need this cash cow anymore. I had high hopes of Mk4/6, Mk 7, Mk46/47 QS releases (anything they can repaint obv). Gone the way of the rest of the HPP...

I agree that a fair portion of things should have been done better on this Mark III, such as the helmet plate. Though for me overall I'm pleased with it, but I think I still like the 1/4 Mark XLV a bit more in terms of ranking. I quite like the 1/4 line and it'd be cool if the other marks were to be released, especially a 1/4 Mark VII. It seems the 1/4 figures are few and far between, especially compared to the onslaught of 1/6, but I presume (or so I've heard) the hype for the 1/4 figures isn't as great (but of course costs could be a major factor too).

Any tips on the unboxing. I don't want to break off bits of the figure too! [emoji6]

Unboxing was pretty easy (lots of styrofoam bits in the joints). My struggle was with the ab crunch/leg drops- I like more articulated poses, so I wanted to see how far I could push the figure for posing. With the torso, be careful with the three little side chest pieces since they tilt and could break off. And it also helps to remove the chest piece whenever doing any torso articulation. Oddly enough, the parts that broke off for me were on the back near the waist. Overall, some of the articulation takes a good bit of force to work the joints, so just be careful (and read the instructions).

As a collection update, I ended up returning it to Sideshow. Great shelf presence, but quarter scale doesn't fit my collection, as much as I love the Mark III. If I change my mind, I'll pick it back up later, but I don't expect this to skyrocket in price like the other 1/4 IM figures.

Unboxing was pretty easy (lots of styrofoam bits in the joints). My struggle was with the ab crunch/leg drops- I like more articulated poses, so I wanted to see how far I could push the figure for posing. With the torso, be careful with the three little side chest pieces since they tilt and could break off. And it also helps to remove the chest piece whenever doing any torso articulation. Oddly enough, the parts that broke off for me were on the back near the waist. Overall, some of the articulation takes a good bit of force to work the joints, so just be careful (and read the instructions).

As a collection update, I ended up returning it to Sideshow. Great shelf presence, but quarter scale doesn't fit my collection, as much as I love the Mark III. If I change my mind, I'll pick it back up later, but I don't expect this to skyrocket in price like the other 1/4 IM figures.
Thanks for the tips. I will bear them in mind when I unbox the figure! [emoji6]

You damaged the figure then returned it to sideshow? Is that what I am reading?

Back