Hot Toys – MMS255 – Guardians of the Galaxy: 1/6th scale Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got two jackets going on in the photos, but yeah the short jacket is nice. If HT doesn't make one then buy an additional coat and cut the trencher down to coat size and stitch it. Or cut the one it comes with. It appears to be the same jacket just shortened length and a zipper down the front.

Yeah, two different Jackets. The Xandar Jacket and the other short Jacket are different. And the coat is also very different from the short jackets.

Look at the pattern of previous exclusive Hot Toys releases through Sideshow. Many were for characters that are just as or even more popular, but these two recent pre-orders for Marty and Star Lord sold out at record time frames compared to what we've seen for any Hot Toys standard release with an exclusive option. Doesn't that at least strike you as slightly odd?

For example, Luke Skywalker. The exclusive version of that figure was up for pre-order for well over a year without going to waitlist. Hot Toys and Sideshow wanted to make as many of those for as many customers that wanted them, so they just kept the pre-order open and made a whole buttload of them. Now, going from an exclusive Hot Toy from the most popular franchise ever being available for a year to a relatively unknown character from a fantastic new movie selling out in about a day, I don't think it's wrong to find that to be at least a little bit peculiar. The thing isn't scheduled to be released until next March and who knows, it might be delayed as well. Since they don't number these or publish edition sizes, you'd think they'd want to make enough of these to meet demand with a few extras to fill waitlists after it's been up for awhile. I'm saying that it 's possible that they are getting their numbers and producing in the same way, but they're going to convert waitlists on a large scale rather than take the same amount of pre-orders that they have in the past. If that's the case, there must be some advantage to them doing it that way instead.

At the very least, it seems like something has changed with Sideshow's pre-order process and I'm going to predict that there are going to be a ton of waitlist conversions for customers who jumped on even a few months after the pre-order went up for this.

I respect your opinion if you don't agree and I'm not going to lower myself to personally attacking anybody or call people names, but I think it's fair for me to at least offer my perspective on it.

In my opinion, I think you are seeing the popularity of hot toys growing and more collectors than ever preordered instar lord's case.

As for Marty, I am not the least bit shocked. That trilogy of movies is beloved by ages 35-85, it spans generations. People that don't even collect hot toys saw that at comicon and were in for that.

I expect the same for the delorian PO as well.

Still think these are totally exceptions and not rules.

Good points Boba Ben. I expect lots of conversions too and there certainly does seem to be a shift in how they are handling preorders. As for Luke, I think they massively overproduced that and Sideshow, nor their retailers, likely enjoyed sittin on so much stock for as long as they did. While we love there being an abundance of figures available at retail, but the business side doesn't like it. It would be different if they ran multiple productions of figures, like massively release stuff that hasbro and mattel and such make, but it seems Hot Toys and most high end collectibles get a single (maybe two) run at the factory and then that's it for everyone. It's costly to just house stock.

Another theory is it could be that ppl tend to cancel regular preorders at a higher rate than they cancel waitlist conversions. Would explain a preference towards waitlist orders.

I think that's very true. A waitlist conversion to a collector's mind is probably more valuable than a standard pre-order. If you spend some time on the waitlist hoping your order for the EX will convert for a figure that sold out in just a few hours and it finally does, you might feel a little less inclined to hit that cancel button as it gets closer to the release date.

Also in terms of cost, if there is any difference in the cost for EX's to sideshow( not known for certain either way) they would want to make sure they are turning the higher cost ex products faster.

EX turns on inventory are more likely than the standard figure.

Could it be HT and not SSC setting the number of EX's? SS has been increasing the amount of EX's on their statues and some have been taking months to go on the WL. They EX for SS 1/6 line are also very slow to go on the WL. It could be as simple as HT decided to make exclusives more exclusive. :dunno

Could it be HT and not SSC setting the number of EX's? SS has been increasing the amount of EX's on their statues and some have been taking months to go on the WL. They EX for SS 1/6 line are also very slow to go on the WL. It could be as simple as HT decided to make exclusives more exclusive. :dunno

Definitely could be. I think this hobby is just growing at a rate where the usual number of figures allotted isn't cutting it because of how many people there are now. Probably why a lot of stuff has a one per person rule. It could be tactic on their part as well or even a combination of all these things. No one really knows

Somebody called in a disturbance in this thread. Glad to see things have settled down - but I don't want to have to come back here.

Well, I guess the bottom line for me is that I like being able to use those $20 coupons on the EX versions of these figures and having that option at my disposal has caused me to make more direct purchases through Sideshow, but now I'll be more inclined to go back to purchasing the regular version from a retailer like Alter Ego. Whatever the reason for the fast changes from pre-order to waitlist may be, that's the outcome for me personally at least.

Both coats are nice but I think the long coat is more swashbuckler so I'm glad they went with that one. Of course, for that price both coats should be included but that's not going to happen. I guess they could add it to Gamora or Drax but tha's probably not going to happen either. I'm thinking it will be the 2.0 version which will definitely be coming out now that this movie is so popular. Or maybe a con exclusive? Anyway, I can't wait now, this movie was a ton of fun and the characters where very likable and cool, I'm so impressed that this movie was made and that it rocked!

Both coats are nice but I think the long coat is more swashbuckler so I'm glad they went with that one. Of course, for that price both coats should be included but that's not going to happen. I guess they could add it to Gamora or Drax but tha's probably not going to happen either. I'm thinking it will be the 2.0 version which will definitely be coming out now that this movie is so popular. Or maybe a con exclusive? Anyway, I can't wait now, this movie was a ton of fun and the characters where very likable and cool, I'm so impressed that this movie was made and that it rocked!

or a DX version :dunno

or a DX version :dunno

A dx star-lord?

post-10781-Bert-eyes-look-up-from-book-wh-kSb4.gif

Going to see the movie tomorrow night, but I just got on the waiting list for this, big fan of Chris Pratt and the look of the character/figure, looking forward to it.

So do the eyes light up it says it includes batteries and the stand doesnt have any light up features, unless its the exclusive handcuffs.

Back