HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An absolute masterpiece in every way, and I actually appreciated the darker feel as it captured the long night perfectly. No issues seeing what was happening at all, although my TV is calibrated as well.

Hasn't he been built up enough in past episodes?

Perhaps he doesn't even have any kind of desire beyond fulfilling what he was created for? If a plague wipes out billions of people, that doesn't mean it has a reason for doing so. Maybe you're trying to find a reason where one needs not exist?

Maybe there is more, but then, the story isn't from his perspective.

Who knows, I'm sure it could make interesting storytelling, perhaps the spin off series will touch on it.

As for this story, I feel like the Night King's motivation isn't important.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don’t think we needed to see his motivation. I just think that considering the build up, they didn’t really get that far in their invasion. I thought the episode was great but considering the story as a whole, these guys have been looming since the beginning and they were wiped out pretty quickly.

This episode is exceedingly re-watchable. Better each time actually.

Certainly makes up for the first two episodes. I really have no idea why they didn't compress the first two episode into one and then make The Long Night a two-parter. That would have made people feel the Night King was around a little longer.

They had the perfect shot to end on -- right after NK raises the dead and blockades Jon, the shot of the silhouettes of the white walkers approaching camera. They'd have to re-edit a bit and move some stuff, maybe have that sequence happen more in the middle of the battle, but it would have made an excellent cliff-hanger.

Certainly makes up for the first two episodes. I really have no idea why they didn't compress the first two episode into one and then make The Long Night a two-parter. That would have made people feel the Night King was around a little longer.

They had the perfect shot to end on -- right after NK raises the dead and blockades Jon, the shot of the silhouettes of the white walkers approaching camera. They'd have to re-edit a bit and move some stuff, maybe have that sequence happen more in the middle of the battle, but it would have made an excellent cliff-hanger.
It almost was 2 episodes, it was close to 90 minutes in length.

True. But there's nothing like a cliff-hanger on TV.

My gut told me NK was doomed early on so the heroes could march on Cersei, so I wasn't really surprised. What surprised me was the time wasted on the first two episodes.
I love this world, so I don't feel like the quiet moments are wastes.

I thought the same thing too, the length of the 3rd episode and the fact that Cersei needed to be dealt with, made me believe the NK would meet his end in that episode. The real drama is about to begin. Cersei is the villain, let's make no mistake about that. The NK was an apparatus to unite the kingdoms against her.

They need to build up the characters relationship in the first two episodes. If all they do are just battle scenes throughout all 3 episodes, we’d be bored by now.

I can’t wait till Jon and Dany have the proper time to sit and talk again bout him being a Targaryen and what she decides to do then.

There was a lot of unnecessary moments in the first two episodes. They've never spent so much "reunion" time before on a returning season. I love this world too, but too much downtime like, say, around the fire with wine, or the odd moment between Arya and Hound, etc. I learned little, there has been slight on conflict, and other than Brienne's knighthood and Jon telling Dany what's up, most everything I've already forgotten. Those two episodes are not ones I will revisit often. This show is best when character's are at odds. Reunion's don't interest me.

Don’t forget bout dany and sansa’s Meeting. I think that’s an important event that serves its purpose in later episodes. Also Tyrion and Sansa discussing bout their marriage etc, I think Sansa might be up to something and they need to build those little tensions slowly. Just like melisandres brown eyes, blue eyes and green eyes moment. Now that I think of it, Sansa might end up being the next Cersei of house stark and move everyone like chess pieces and taking over the throne for herself.

I had no issues with light when watching the battle. Deux Ex Machina is what I felt about Arya coming down like that on the Night King, wish it showed her slipping by the guards or something.

The battle itself didn't show the greatest military minds in full action. Why not use the trebuchets and catapults before sending the Dothraki? Why not make them shoot continuously after Dothraki were down, why keep waiting for the dead to come? (Why send the Dothraki before knowing what is out there in the first place?) At least use a lot of projectiles with fire and dragon glass. Not to mention the bad use of the Dragons. And so on.

Very curious to see how many Unsullied and northern troops were left in Winterfell after the battle. Seems there are just very few people left from the battle. If they were to put Bran as a bait, they lost a lot of men for that. Maybe too many. We'll see. And IMO too many of the heroes survived to almost impossible odds.

I would like to find out who was the Night King and what really motivated him? Destroy the humanity? Revenge for what happened to him? Is he simply still obeying his initial orders like a broken robot? Martin would have been good at telling his story in a few flashbacks, but not sure what is going to happen now. Maybe Bran will reveal a bit about him.

One other thing that I'm hoping to see is how Essos evolves during this time and after whoever gets on the Throne (if there is one left). We still have cities like Volantis who still have slaves. Will the wheel break everywhere - if that happens?

I would like to find out who was the Night King and what really motivated him? Destroy the humanity? Revenge for what happened to him? Is he simply still obeying his initial orders like a broken robot?

I rather like that take on him, if the show ends without ever really delving into the who/why of him I am willing to go with this version. After all he was created as a weapon and weapons don't usually have motivations or desires they simply have a purpose to fulfill, no more and no less.

I had no issues with light when watching the battle. Deux Ex Machina is what I felt about Arya coming down like that on the Night King, wish it showed her slipping by the guards or something.

The battle itself didn't show the greatest military minds in full action. Why not use the trebuchets and catapults before sending the Dothraki? Why not make them shoot continuously after Dothraki were down, why keep waiting for the dead to come? (Why send the Dothraki before knowing what is out there in the first place?) At least use a lot of projectiles with fire and dragon glass. Not to mention the bad use of the Dragons. And so on.

Very curious to see how many Unsullied and northern troops were left in Winterfell after the battle. Seems there are just very few people left from the battle. If they were to put Bran as a bait, they lost a lot of men for that. Maybe too many. We'll see. And IMO too many of the heroes survived to almost impossible odds.

I would like to find out who was the Night King and what really motivated him? Destroy the humanity? Revenge for what happened to him? Is he simply still obeying his initial orders like a broken robot? Martin would have been good at telling his story in a few flashbacks, but not sure what is going to happen now. Maybe Bran will reveal a bit about him.

One other thing that I'm hoping to see is how Essos evolves during this time and after whoever gets on the Throne (if there is one left). We still have cities like Volantis who still have slaves. Will the wheel break everywhere - if that happens?

I know it’s never been explained any further than they were originally created by the children of the forest as a weapon to kill man. But in my own mind, this is exactly what I thought their motivation was. They were a weapon that once unleashed, grew beyond the control of the children of the forest. It’s always possible that we’ll still get an official explanation either in the last few episodes or in the books, but if we never do, that’s probably the way I’ll continue to think of them.

As for the white walkers not attacking Arya I think of it as the night king having them on standby, until he orders them to do differently, much liked how they didn't attack Theon. He wasn't aware of Arya, and over confident. I think only his lieutenants are able to act independently.

The more I think about the episode the more I realize I'm disappointed with it. Mainly because of the nonsense with the dragons. I'd expect something like that from Daenerys, but not Jon. He knew about the Night King before anyone else and had been single minded in his determination to stop the army of the dead, and yet he was flying around aimless. He was useless in the entire battle and accomplished nothing. I guess I just expected more out of him... having Daenerys around is ruining him as a character to me.

The DBZ style reveal of the Night King after the dragon torched him was great, but I really wanted this to be his moment to shine. I thought he would last until the end of the series, really wanted the White Walkers to do what they did to Winterfell to King's Landing. I wanted the army of the dead practically knocking on Cersei's door, now that isn't going to happen. The White Walkers have always been the most interesting part of the show to me, not all the bickering over the Throne, and now that's all that's left.

The more I think about the episode the more I realize I'm disappointed with it. Mainly because of the nonsense with the dragons. I'd expect something like that from Daenerys, but not Jon. He knew about the Night King before anyone else and had been single minded in his determination to stop the army of the dead, and yet he was flying around aimless. He was useless in the entire battle and accomplished nothing. I guess I just expected more out of him... having Daenerys around is ruining him as a character to me.

The DBZ style reveal of the Night King after the dragon torched him was great, but I really wanted this to be his moment to shine. I thought he would last until the end of the series, really wanted the White Walkers to do what they did to Winterfell to King's Landing. I wanted the army of the dead practically knocking on Cersei's door, now that isn't going to happen. The White Walkers have always been the most interesting part of the show to me, not all the bickering over the Throne, and now that's all that's left.
Well, it is called Game of Thrones, and not Attack of the White Walkers.

I know it’s never been explained any further than they were originally created by the children of the forest as a weapon to kill man. But in my own mind, this is exactly what I thought their motivation was. They were a weapon that once unleashed, grew beyond the control of the children of the forest. It’s always possible that we’ll still get an official explanation either in the last few episodes or in the books, but if we never do, that’s probably the way I’ll continue to think of them.

I thought that too until I saw him smile condescending at Danny - he seems more than just a robot. I would like to know what stood behind his actions, even if in a flashback from Bran. People don't want the whole Boba Fett story here. But things like who the Night King was before he was transformed or how the living back in the history (if the stories were true) beat the White Walkers without killing their leader would be cool to know too. Unless Bran will tell us more, I guess in the end we might find out even more than we want in the GoT prequel that is said to be made.

Yes, I’m finding as I’m getting older that it’s taking me multiple viewings of something to really form an opinion or appreciate it. The first viewing is me absorbing everything, then subsequent viewings I really appreciate it.

There were really some fantastically composed shots and sequences in this episode and credit goes to the director: the sequence where Clegane, Arya, and Beric are running from the wights is incredible; the soft focus raven POV shots of the Night King on Viserion; and any of the dragon sequences, especially when Jon and Dany fly high above the storm into the clear air and the dragons are “hovering” in place (well, the credit goes to the special effects team).

The only shots that stood out to me were the Dragons above the clouds.

As for the scene with Arya, Clegane and Beric...I don't even remember them going in there...I couldn't see anything during the scene..the last thing I could make out was Beric blocking the dead with his own body as he was getting stabbed and then all of a sudden they're in a locked room and Beric succumbs to his wounds. How and when he got there I have no idea, I couldn't see it. My brother was also confused by this.

Look I've been praising the show all along even when others were criticizing - but I thought they took the piss with this one. It was a let-down.

As I said before though it will probably improve with future viewings.

Back