HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't get why they need to cut so many corners. Could they not have done these last 2 seasons as 10 episodes each and flesh out some of this story more maybe think this out a little better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have to say, this entire season so far has felt like glorified fan service. There were some great fight scenes in the last episodes. But, deus ex machina happens so constantly for Jon, it's to be expected now.

did the night king have heaps of industrial chains lying around in his basement?

Someone said that you can see a rather large ship in the background during that scene, and that the chains came from that. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

As for the eye on the hilt opening, looking at it up close and in slow motion, it simply looks like the reflection of Jon's hand.

I'm immensely enjoying the season but I will agree that it is massively condensed which makes things seem or in fact be inconsistent with earlier seasons - like journey times, raven speed etc etc. And yes there has been a certain degree of predictability and 'last minute saves' that feel like plot armour. I won't hold the latter against the show but the former stuff about journey times could probably have been avoided if the season had simply been the normal length.

And yes I did well up at the demise of the CGI. And I think that's a testament to how good this show is.

Alan Taylor on Arya/Sansa fate:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-director-teases-dark-fate-for-arya-and-sansa_us_599b2db0e4b0771ecb065bf8

GAME OF THRONES Director Alan Taylor Admits That Rescue Timeline Didn't Quite WorkThor: The Dark World helmer Alan Taylor returned to HBO's Game of Thrones this past Sunday to direct season 7's penultimate episode which saw Jon Snow and his Suicide Squad venture beyond The Wall.

Last Sunday's new episode of Game of Thrones certainly opens up a world of possibilities for the show's season 8 finale. The daring mission by Jon Snow and his motley crew to capture one of the White Walkers' wights ended up needing Daenerys to mount a dashing rescue with her dragons.

However, once the excitement and disbelief with how the episode ended wears off, fans have been questioning how so much ground was covered in seemingly a small amount of time. Speaking to Variety, Alan Taylor admits they had to fudge a bit of geogrpahy to make the episode work and they pinned their hopes that the "emotional experience" would hid their "fudging of the timeline."
"We were aware that timing was getting a little hazy. We’ve got Gendry running back, ravens flying a certain distance, dragons having to fly back a certain distance…In terms of the emotional experience, [Jon and company] sort of spent one dark night on the island in terms of storytelling moments. We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there. I think that worked for some people, for other people it didn’t. They seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly but there’s a thing called plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff."​
It's nice to see Taylor openly admitting that the logistics of Daenerys rescue doesn't quite add up with what was presented in the show. However, there are some Game of Thrones fans that are committed to proving that Gendry could make the run back to the Keep, send a Raven to Dragonstone and have dragons make a 2,000+ mile journey to fry some undead skeletons before Jon and co. froze to death.

Last edited:
I just don't get why they need to cut so many corners. Could they not have done these last 2 seasons as 10 episodes each and flesh out some of this story more maybe think this out a little better.

100% agree...as much as I love this show and we've seen plenty of glorious action this season, this for me is the worst out of the seven seasons. ..this no doubt would be totally fantastic if it was stretched to ten episodes( like normally it would be)...I believe no actor in GOT should be nominated for an Emmy this season for lack of drama and dialog....we had some great dialog too this season, but not enough imho. ..again wishing for the feel of the first six seasons to come back...still i love the show :)

:exactly: :goodpost: Completely agree!

100% agree...as much as I love this show and we've seen plenty of glorious action this season, this for me is the worst out of the seven seasons. ..this no doubt would be totally fantastic if it was stretched to ten episodes( like normally it would be)...I believe no actor in GOT should be nominated for an Emmy this season for lack of drama and dialog....we had some great dialog too this season, but not enough imho. ..again wishing for the feel of the first six seasons to come back...still i love the show :)

To me it is letdown. Didn't like seeing a dragon taken out, plus IMO why isn't Daenerys taking better care of her "children"? E.g. she's up in the air, Drogon's already been speared in a battle, wouldn't you be on lookout for catapults, spears, etc? She says flat out re Cersei is laying a trap, wouldn't that include dragon defense? So why wouldn't she be more cautious with her dragons now when facing an enemy? So she is sort of a war leader, but a stupid war leader throwing away her best weapons?

And why wouldn't she have seen and target the white walker leaders anyway - they are just standing there (suddenly). Doesn't cry over Viserion, too busy making eyes at Jon Snow.

Everyone is in love with Daenerys:cuckoo:....and everyone in love with her kinda become friends:lol...never mind the time and distance problems which floored me.:slap

I don't buy Sansa and Arya at all. And they're ruining Arya for me. All the eerie-ness of Jaquen H'ghar and Arya taking out the Freys and now she's set up by Littlefinger - when she left the House of Black and White I assumed, in theory, that she had passed the "final test" of sorts. E.g. she wouldn't be so klutzy as to get spotted/set up by Littlefinger and she wouldn't be chatting about being trained as a Faceless Man - she'd be more subtle, across the board. Unless there's some real weird twist there e.g. this isn't Arya at all, but a Faceless Man and it's all politics like who hired the Faceless Man (re the books) in the first place. Or a nice twist where Arya is letting Littlefinger THINK he's winning, etc.

Meanwhile, Brandon who has all this mysterious power is off playing checkers or something.

I dunno - it's beginning to feel less like GOT and more from something on the Sci-Fi channel, for me.

I imagine they had to cut the episodes down because the expense of the fighting scenes this season has increased dramatically.

But in reality do we really need drawn out scenes with Dany riding the dragons over the wall, or Jon and the guys sitting and waiting for days, intercut with Cersei doing nothing? There are not many players left in the story now, so less time to go between different plotlines.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a shame about Lady Stoneheart, but there's just too much in the books to condense into a show. They've left out the whole Aegon Targaryen plot as well, so I guess they might just meld that into Jon's story.

GRRM has given them a guideline into how the series will go, so it's not like the writers are completely on their own.

Finally watched last weekends episode. I think that dragon being skewered is Jons fault. If he would have gotten on the dragon when everyone else did they all would have escaped.
Yeah I think he realised at the end and when he saw the Night King grabbing another spear he told Dany to leave, he knew he wasn't going to make it back. He just didn't realise what damage the Night King could do to a Dragon.

Yeah I think he realised at the end and when he saw the Night King grabbing another spear he told Dany to leave, he knew he wasn't going to make it back. He just didn't realise what damage the Night King could do to a Dragon.

I was actually getting ready to delete this before anyone commented.:) I may have spoke too soon. Watching the post show they are explaining that if he hadn't done that none of them would have got away.

Back