Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - SPOILER DISCUSSION

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume he was raised by his grandmother, but spent a good deal of time with Harry given the line about him being officially part of the family and how he ate dinner over there all the time.

Hmm.. Ok, But then what would the point of beeing a godfather be?:confused:

Irish, I would also do Hermione, but other then that i mean? I was wondering if they became Aurors like the "fake" Moody said!?

To those bound and determined not to read HP:
Several years ago I was speaking to a very good friend of mine and I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. We usually did the same dance every year, of "what do you want?" "I dunno... really doesn't matter".
Then she said I could get her the order of the phoenix.
To my shock I said "You actually read Harry Potter?!"
I was stunned. I didn't think I knew anyone that was 'one of them'.
She kept telling me that I had to read them. Every week she called and harassed me if I had read any yet. Finally, the day OOTP went on sale, I went to Sam's club to buy her gift, and there they had HP and the Sorcerer's stone there also, which was pretty cheap, so I bought it.
I had every intention of hating it. As a matter of fact I read it with the intention of hating it. I literally could not put it down. The next day I went back to Sam's and got the Chamber Of Secrets, once again determined to find that the first was a fluke.
Two days later I was there getting the Prisoner Of Azkaban. I also got Order Of The Phoenix while I was there but Sam's didn't have the Goblet of Fire, so I had to got to a book store.
Her characters so imperfect and multidimensional, it makes you feel you are an actual observer in this strange little world she has created.
Before you dismiss them, go to the library and try one. Maybe two.

.....Before you dismiss them, go to the library and try one. Maybe two.

That was pretty much my experience. My advice would be the same. Before you haughtily put something down, I would say check it out first because you could be missing out on a rewarding experience. :lecture

I will go on record saying that my parents were the one's to get me started on the movies. My Mom was obsessed with the first two. Then my ex was a huge fan and dragged me to the third movie (which I loved and started my HP obsession). She had all the books and kept telling me I needed to read them. I finally folded and hated to admit that she was right. I used to be a snob like some here and raise my nose at those who read or watched HP. I will be the first to say that it is far darker than anything in LOTR and the last two movies will most likely be darker than the darkest SW movie (ROTS).

I'm just surprised that so many who are obviously fans of the genre wouldn't even give them a shot. You have no idea what you're missing and it's your loss.

I used to be a snob like some here and raise my nose at those who read or watched HP. I will be the first to say that it is far darker than anything in LOTR and the last two movies will most likely be darker than the darkest SW movie (ROTS).

I'm just surprised that so many who are obviously fans of the genre wouldn't even give them a shot. You have no idea what you're missing and it's your loss.

Hmmmm I wouldn't call people snobs just because they aren't interested in reading certain books. There are just those of us (me for instance) that have no interest in reading them (at least at this time). I'm actually coming off a stint of reading quite a few fantasy young adult books and have had my fill for a while. I may give Harry Potter a chance one day but for now it's not on my radar of books to read. I wouldn't call that being snobbish.

As for HP and it being dark. Given the films (which I have seen) yes I can see that the story becomes darker and darker. Given what little I know of book 7 the story is the darkest of the entire series.

LOTR, HP and SW all have their fans and I'm not sure why fans of each of those insist on comparing. Any fan could go on and on about how much better, darker, happier, etc...their story is but what's the point? We all love our stories and I'm sure most (if not all of us) appreciate other fans and their love of the stories that are apart of their fandom. We are all geeky for 1 thing or another afterall. :D

Anyhoo...

Here are my favorite parts of HPatDH:

Harry's visit to Godric's Hollow.

Harry walking through the Forbidden Forest on his way to fight Voldemort, knowing he is going to die.

Harry's talk with Dumbledore at King's Cross

Harry viewing Snape's memories in the Pensieve.

The Harry's final battle with Voldemort.

I cannot wait for the film. I have a feeling alot of the camping scenes will be chopped from the movie (fine by me). I have a feeling Ron will never actually run away and I doubt we'll see anything about the PotterCast radio program.

I wonder if the ratings will go up as the films get darker. I can just hear the kids sobbing when Hedwig and Dobby bite the dust.

And how about Dudley getting emotional.
Petunia being jealous.
And Vernon... well he's Vernon.

I will go on record saying that my parents were the one's to get me started on the movies. My Mom was obsessed with the first two. Then my ex was a huge fan and dragged me to the third movie (which I loved and started my HP obsession). She had all the books and kept telling me I needed to read them. I finally folded and hated to admit that she was right. I used to be a snob like some here and raise my nose at those who read or watched HP. I will be the first to say that it is far darker than anything in LOTR and the last two movies will most likely be darker than the darkest SW movie (ROTS).

I don't think of myself as a "snob" at all. Just not interested in boy witches. As for it being "dark". That's fine I guess, but I don't get into something because it's light or dark. It just has to appeal to me and HP never has.

I give you a hard time about HP, but I honestly hold nothing against anyone who likes it. it just has no appeal to me.

I saw the first 2 movies when they came out, without having read any of the books, and I wasn't into them at all. I thought they were boring and I didn't understand how so many people could be so facinated with HP.

But I'd heard alot of people say the books were way better than the movies and, 4 months ago, I decided to give the books a chance. Very glad that I did, and I look forward to reading all 7 again.

OofP is already PG-13. They aren't going to be rated any stricter than that. But I'm sure the last 2 will be PG-13 as well. It all depends how they film the final battle, although I'm sure the scene with all the dead and wounded lined up in the great hall would be pretty traumatizing to a child. Heck, I well up just thinking about it.

What about in HBP where Harry uses Snape's curse on Malfoy? Seems like that would be enough to warrant an R, wouldn't it?

Dave's right. There will never be a 'R' rated Potter movie. I don't see how the last two won't be PG-13 though. Unless they make the last movie 3.5 hours long, there is no way to do the book any justice. Most of the camping will have to be cut but there is just too much story that needs to be told for it all to make sense at the end. I'm praying for two movies, though I know it will never happen.

And Kit, I know you're giving me a hard time but it's just frustrating because I really think you'd love the movies.

You don't have to show the blood spurting from Sectum Sempra (sp?). Mr. Weasley's snake attack was pretty graphic. George's de-earring is also pretty bloody, as is Fenrir attacking Bill. It all depends on how it's shot.

Thats true. Angles and editing really do make the difference. One thing I really wanna see because it was terrifying was the snake Nagini come out from the neck of the old woman.

Thats true. Angles and editing really do make the difference. One thing I really wanna see because it was terrifying was the snake Nagini come out from the neck of the old woman.

I wanna see Neville beheading Nagini all 300 style in slow mo and blood flying everywhere, with some NIN playing in the background.:monkey5

I wonder if the ratings will go up as the films get darker. I can just hear the kids sobbing when Hedwig and Dobby bite the dust.

And how about Dudley getting emotional.
Petunia being jealous.
And Vernon... well he's Vernon.

Well, OOTP dissappointed me as far as the movie compared to the book, it's so hard for them to adapt these books to movies. Although Azkaban was the best one so far I think.

I haven't officially read the last two books, but I'm going through the audiobook so hopefully I can get through them.

Well, I haven't turned my computer on in the last week just to avoid me accidentally clicking on anything that could be spoilery. I'm SOOOO glad that I did that because I loved the book.

For those of you saying that you wished harry died, he did actually, did you not read the book? He just came back....Lots of what I loved and lots that I didn't like too much. What I DID love is that JK finally made Voldemort into the BAMF that I imagined. I mean him actually just flying there, WOW, can't wait to see that in the movie; and dueling three at once and winning, what a BAMF. Neville, also turned into a BAMF, loved that. he is a great character and glad his potential finially came to fruition.

Loved the backstory for Dumbledore, made him more three dimensional and a bit more human. Explained pretty much everything about him and his connection with the horcruxes and the hallows.

What I didn't like too much was the deaths of the final two mauraders. I was SO certain that wormtail and lupin would fight in the end ( I mean he's a werewolf and wormtail has a freaking SILVER hand). And Lupin just turning up dead off screen, I thought Rowling would do his death more justice (like dying for harry). Snape's death was not what I expected as well; his death was very anticlimatic. in the chapter The Prince's Tail, I half expected when Dumbledore told Snape that a piece of Riddle's soul was in harry for him to recognize what horcruxes were. I mean snape was a genius and I thought he was going to show that more, help with the horcruxes, and play more of a role in voldemort's defeat. Snape turned out to be one of the tragic heroes of the series. I too loved "he was the bravest man I ever knew."

I read HBP earlier last week and half that book and half of OOtP was snape trying to instruct harry to CLOSE HIS MIND to voldemort in order to protect himself. But in this book, he just seemed to forget that and didn't do it. plus, during the fight with voldemort, Rowling just forgot to write about it. With HBP and OotP being so involved with that, I expected it to play more of a role.

Oh, I could write 50 pages on this, so I'll just stop now. Really going to have to read it again, or get the audio book to really get every detail of the book. I leave with this question, sorry if it has already been answered, but "WHAT WAS INSIDE OF THE SNITCH DUMBLEDORE GAVE HARRY?"

Last edited:
Back