Halloween (October 19th, 2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?ve only watched 18 once and I have no desire to ever watch it again I really think they missed capturing what 78 was all about which is crazy because that was the whole reason of bringing Carpenter back in the first place.

I think I would rather just watch zombies versions just for the sheet brutality and wackiness of it all as slasher movies.

I don?t know maybe i?ll give 18 another chance I am still looking forward to the next two because that?s just the geek in me being the optimists as usual lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get where you're coming from, and I think you might enjoy it on a second viewing if you let go of what you want to have seen in the movie. I enjoyed it my first viewing, but I came to like it more with subsequent viewings once I embraced it for what it is.

I don't think they missed the '78 mark to the extent of Rob Zombie's series or H2-8, they just took a really heavy focus on Laurie and her family.

The most lacking element of '78 I found is the predatory, slow pacing attack of Michael. There weren't a lot of stalking shots, he just went on a slaughter, with no target, which is in line with the force of nature, inhuman origin from '78, but it would have been cool. They could have had a clearer shot of Michael stalking Vikki to add some of that. They did have a good stalking sequence with the vampire kid who was impaled on the fence.

Really though, the events of the film took place in a number of locations and went fast and it didn't lend itself to capturing certain traits of Michael.

That said, he's free now, the next film doesn't have to work on a new escape from him or anything, we can get predatory Michael.

Oh wow I think you actually hit the nail on the head on a feeling I had that something just didn?t feel right like something felt off with his presence within the scene.

I was even wondering if he was going to kill the baby lol

Oh wow I think you actually hit the nail on the head on a feeling I had that something just didn?t feel right like something felt off with his presence within the scene.

I was even wondering if he was going to kill the baby lol

I think what we did see Michael do in 2018 was influence by a need to make it clear, this is not a Michael driven by pursuing family members or some ancient curse but just a mindless killing machine with no goal or purpose, with the baby being the pinnacle and making you think he might go there.

Hopefully now that they've established that they're distancing from the flaws of sequels, they can take a step back and breath a little and go back to some of the other classic elements they haven't hit upon yet.

I’m watching ‘18 again right now.

I love the entire gas station sequence. The way you can track Michael through the background & periphery is brilliantly staged & paced IMO. And the podcasters deaths are wonderfully punishing. :lol

Back to back posts confuse my mind. So is this a good Myers movie or another bad one? How can this be good?

I think it depends on how you look at the movie. Is this a good Myers movie? No, because Myers is not as much a focal point as in predecessors. The focus of this film is on Laurie and her family and the impact of the events of the '78 film. Is this a good movie? Yes, because the execution of what the movie set out to be is done really well. I walked out of the theater with mixed feelings because I walked in expecting a Myers film and got something different, with subsequent viewings and letting go of needing the movie to be something it isn't, I have come to really enjoy it for what it is.

That said, who knows what the next 2 installments will bring, but, given the return of the children from '78, shooting of '78 flashback scenes, etc., I have a hunch the next 2 films will continue this examination of the impact of Michael on those who encounter him and survive. I'm fine with that, but for anyone expecting a more traditional slasher, I think they'll be disappointed.

I don't know why, but my fav Halloween is Halloween II. Maybe its the hospital setting. Makes a good haunted house; contained.

It's a great setting, so big that there is no shortage of places for the threat to be lurking compared to say a house. Other than introducing the sister connection which ruined the franchise, I consider the original H2 one of the best and wish it could be part of the timeline with the 2018 and beyond films.

Halloween series is actually pretty simple to understand.

The first is a masterpiece.

Every other one afterwards suck lol

H2 I only enjoy for purely nostalgia reason.

H3 Cochran is a great villain stuck in a unique movie with a few iconic scenes.

H3 Cochran is a great villain stuck in a unique movie with a few iconic scenes.

4130296cc60956a35b612733bffd3adc.gif

Halloween series is actually pretty simple to understand.

The first is a masterpiece.

Every other one afterwards suck lol

Then it too falls into the Raiders, Die Hard, Matrix category - one-off movie masterpieces with subpar sequels.

Who'd have thought Halloween would have anything to do with those masterpieces?

Then again, so does Ghostbusters...

Such a great scene love it love it love it never get tired of his creepy monologue and that old tv he?s leaning on lol.

Then it too falls into the Raiders, Die Hard, Matrix category - one-off movie masterpieces with subpar sequels.

Who'd have thought Halloween would have anything to do with those masterpieces?

Then again, so does Ghostbusters...

However I would like to point out that not everything has to be a masterpiece for it to be enjoyed and if anything there are different kinds of masterpieces.

Toxic Avenger 1 is a masterpiece for me.

Back