Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much as I dig Gunn's movies, I'm dreading his take on Adam Warlock. Jim Starlin's run on the Magus storyline is one of my favourite comic books of all time, and I can just see Gunn turning him into a Twat for cheap laughs as he did with Star-Lord and crew.

I'll get over it though....

Will catch this on Disney+ two months after release. One of the rare post Endgame movies I could find myself accepting into my personal overarching canon if done well, but I'm not hopeful considering how much I didn't enjoy Guardians 2.

The mistake I saw from GOTG2 is they kept going into Peter Quill's story. I really don't mind the father/son dynamic with Yondu, but there was so little character development between the two characters to try to establish that. Also Starlord resolved the issue with his mother in the first film. I would have rather they spent more time on the backgrounds of the other Guardians.

Drax and how he lost his family.

Rocket and how he ended up that way

Groot and how he met Rocket

I think the Avengers movies closed out the Starlord and Gamora arcs. I suppose that was the problem for GOTG2, they had to save the "kiss" for the Avengers films so it would hit heavier when Gamora was taken from Peter.

GOTG1 is my absolute favorite out of all the modern Marvel movies except for the very first Blade film in the late 90s. I can see why Bautista wants out, his character is just a gimmick at this point. Kind of like Boyle in Brooklyn 99, where the guy stops being a real person, and now you just have a more and more ridiculous version of the character.

What would have helped is shelving most of the other Marvel TV series, and gave us a GOTG tv series instead to bridge the first film to the second, then the second to the third. I would have rather seen that than Loki, WandaVision, Moon Knight, TFATWS, etc, etc.

Now I'm convinced, after seeing the full trailer again, that they all die. That Gunn wants to kill them all off.

Much as I dig Gunn's movies, I'm dreading his take on Adam Warlock. Jim Starlin's run on the Magus storyline is one of my favourite comic books of all time, and I can just see Gunn turning him into a Twat for cheap laughs as he did with Star-Lord and crew.

I'll get over it though....
If you think that Gunn turned the Guardians into a bunch of twats for cheap laughs then we must have been watching different movies. Yes there are a lot of jokes and shenanigans but there's also a lot of heart and emotion in every movie they appear in. Gunn knows when to use humour and when to put a stake through your heart pretty well.

Yet people still seem to expect it to be.

Sometimes they do go things, sometimes they don't.
Weird right? Idk why people want it to be like the comics when it’s pretty much just a tribute to the comics. Like yea it’s great to see this stuff in love action sometimes but I’m passed the days where I really want comic accuracy or expect it. I know they are gonna mess something up

Again, not ruining anything, you can still read the comics if you want the comics. This doesn't affect them whatsoever.

I don't like comics, and personally I think most of the designs you show as comparison in these threads look terrible anyway :lol. The High Evolutionary you showed looks like a high tech space gimp.
The old stories exist but will get retroactively retconned, and the characters I've spent decades following will get "makeovers" continuity be damned. That to me is a problem.

These are billed as adaptations. Excuse me for wanting to see things adapted instead of randoms merely taking the IP for its brand and just doing their own thing. If you want to be "inspired" then go the Lucas route, put everything in a blender and create your own thing.

We fans are good enough when we're propping up a medium that produces stories, characters and designs for the movie big shots to steal, mangle and serve on a platter for the "general audience", but once they've made it big, we're kicked to the curb. Suddenly we don't matter. Our opinions are meant to just exist in the pages of old dusty books that no "proper" people read. The watered down adaptations are always oh, so much better! Because God forbid Joe Average McCommon takes part in watching a proper Space Opera, nooooo, we need things to be "realistic" and "scaled down". And that's how we ended up with DUNC, where a literal Space Opera starring genetically superior psychopathic Royals got turned into a black and brown brutalist dystopia. It's either "self-aware quips" or "whispering realism". Take away the colour and the style, take away anything and everything that resembles soul and passion and fill it with tacticool costumes and "realistic" motives. Oh sure, the general audience is ready for "guy in a purple lab coat crazy enough to recreate Americana with animals" but "guy in a "Space Gimp" costume crazy enough to create a high-tech society with animals" is just a step too far!

I genuinely hope it all implodes and the comic book and cinema industries come crushing down upon themselves. I liked it better when the "general audience" wasn't pretending to be fans of things they ultimately disliked.

Last edited:
The old stories exist but will get retroactively retconned, and the characters I've spent decades following will get "makeovers" continuity be damned. That to me is a problem.
Who gives a ****, they're still there, it's up to you to decide if you still enjoy them or not. Sounds to me like you want to be upset and are actively looking for a reason to be :dunno.
These are billed as adaptations. Excuse me for wanting to see things adapted instead of randoms just taking the IP for its brand and just doing their own thing. If you want to be "inspired" just go the Lucas route and put everything in a blender and create your own thing.
Adaptations are not 1:1 recreations. Books, comics, video games, etc. do not and cannot translate exactly to TV/Movie.

I'm over Marvel and the MCU anyway, apart from this movie; it's the only thing I still care about and if it didn't have Gunn attached to it then I probably wouldn't give a **** about it either.

Who gives a ****, they're still there, it's up to you to decide if you still enjoy them or not. Sounds to me like you want to be upset and are actively looking for a reason to be :dunno.

Adaptations are not 1:1 recreations. Books, comics, video games, etc. do not and cannot translate exactly to TV/Movie.

I'm over Marvel and the MCU anyway, apart from this movie; it's the only thing I still care about and if it didn't have Gunn attached to it then I probably wouldn't give a **** about it either.
Well, I guess in [current day] we can't be displeased about anything and voice it. All we should do is suck it up, shut up and hand it all over. Clap clap clap, only positives, only warm embraces and acceptance. Keep criticisms and personal opinions close to the chest, unguard them only to your mother....

I've dropped thousands into these things. Excuse me if I came to the 300 dollar doll collector forum to whine about the funnybook movie, instead of dropping a "gee wee golly, this isn't for me (since it's keeping up the trend of butchering the source material) but I sure do hope whoever likes thoroughly enjoys it 100! love and kisses xo xo xo" Facebook comment...

Well, I guess in [current day] we can't be displeased about anything and voice it. All we should do is suck it up, shut up and hand it all over. Clap clap clap, only positives, only warm embraces and acceptance. Keep criticisms and personal opinions close to the chest, unguard them only to your mother....
Not what I'm saying, but you are acting like this absolutely ruins everything that you love and you can never enjoy it again just because some suit made a decision you don't like. All the stuff you still love is there for you to enjoy.
I've dropped thousands into these things. Excuse me if I came to the 300 dollar doll collector forum to whine about the funnybook movie, instead of dropping a "gee wee golly, this isn't for me (since it's keeping up the trend of butchering the source material) but I sure do hope whoever likes thoroughly enjoys it 100! love and kisses xo xo xo" Facebook comment...
The source material is a bunch of weirdly drawn people in horrible spandex suits, I wouldn't wanna spend $300 on that :lol.

Anyone that wants a figure of this must be joking.

1670004827742.png

Not what I'm saying, but you are acting like this absolutely ruins everything that you love and you can never enjoy it again just because some suit made a decision you don't like. All the stuff you still love is there for you to enjoy.
That's a consequence of the changes, the core issue are the needless deviations themselves. They're adaptations and I want to see them adapted as close to the source as possible. The source was good enough to stand for 40, 50, 60 years. I won't just accept an entirely different take just because the general audience thinks the source is "silly". That's my stance and I'll stick to it.

The source material is a bunch of weirdly drawn people in horrible spandex suits, I wouldn't wanna spend $300 on that :lol.

Anyone that wants a figure of this must be joking.

View attachment 610791
For every bad design there's two good ones. What, muscled speedo-wearing white guy is ridiculous, but short and pudgy MesoAmerican speedo-wearing guy is some great design? MCU Namor is an OC that I would've loved if he was an actual OC and they put in some work instead of doing the bare minimum. It's not the aesthetics or new story that are the problem, it's the lack of research, effort and that it's billed as an adaptation when it's an entirely new thing. I've already said in the WF that I never liked the speedo look, however Namor's had enough good costumes over the years. Capes have tons of outfits to choose from, or they have one classic look. When you pick a zany character like the Evolutionary, I except you to pull it off, otherwise why bother? Capes have no worse designs than other genre fiction stories and IPs and I don't get the argument. Star Wars is full of funky aliens. 99% of Star Trek characters look like dorks. Fantasy is 90% Tolkien-inspired Medieval Britain. But that's the aesthetic of each one of them, and either you embrace it or it stops being what it is.

And I have this exact look as Funko Pop right next to my Doom Funkos, even though I don't buy them as a rule (only things I can pair with Doom). I like Namor. I'll collect almost anything, funds allowing, even if I dislike the speedo. I buy it to support the character, silly as it sounds, speedo be damned. But it has to be from the comics. That's the source, that's the real deal, and anything that deviates from it too much is not something I'll ever acknowledge. I can't and I won't. If you adapt Elric and he's no longer a frail albino but a muscled handsome guy in, dunno, purple, bodypaint, then that's not the character and the moment you ruin the core aesthetic, I'm out.

Last edited:
All epic characters. helped define the genre...

72xunm.jpg

72xsoo.jpg

72xv52.jpg
Exactly. The muscled pulp man of action is a lost genre these days. The most recently created such character we had was, what, Turok? And nobody ever does anything with Turok. He's a dinosaur killing badass mixed with aliens and all that good stuff, and nothing.

x_o_turok_by_markhroberts_d9rwhgh-fullview.jpg

Even X-O was ruined. Last time I checked the entirety of Valiant was up in flames. I still remember though.

I loved XO Manowar. Valiant had some great stuff. But as Valiant grew, they're stories suffered. Had to keep reaching and competing with Marvel & DC. After only a few years they were bought out by Acclaim and everything turned to ****. I still have many of those original runs of comics. Was a time when they were worth good money. Probably worthless now.

Fillm sub-genres go in cycles. Westerns were the super hero films of their day and came and went multiple times, ditto monster movies. Super hero movies will be no different.

Plus this trailer is not good.

If you think that Gunn turned the Guardians into a bunch of twats for cheap laughs then we must have been watching different movies. Yes there are a lot of jokes and shenanigans but there's also a lot of heart and emotion in every movie they appear in. Gunn knows when to use humour and when to put a stake through your heart pretty well.
I agree with you entirely, Gunn's great at what he does. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies, however there's a part of me that would have liked to see a more faithful adaption of Jim Starlin and Chris Claremont's stories and characters.

I agree with you entirely, Gunn's great at what he does. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies, however there's a part of me that would have liked to see a more faithful adaption of Jim Starlin and Chris Claremont's stories and characters.
I’ve given up on “faithful” adaptations. It will never ever happen because the filmmakers just have to exert their own personal vision on it plus there is a story committee/brains trust behind that and too many producers and studios behind that all with their own opinions. It’s a miracle that movies get made and some of them are actually ok.

Infinity War is one of the best things Marvel has ever done and is it faithful to the original comic run? Yes the bare bones of the story are the same but the detail is utterly different.

They finally adapt the absolutely bonkers character that is the High Evolutionary and they give us *drumroll* a guy in a pleather outfit! WOW! Who needs all the crazy comic book concepts and aesthetics when you can just stick all of your palls in awful pleather outfits and call it a day? Seriously, how do you go from this:

6f8750858aaecb6fd99501be223a1e34.jpg

To this?

1669937348236258.jpg

It's literally just a guy. Why are they doing this? Why? Why waste all the cool cosmic stuff?

I'm with you. Still not over what they did to Taskmaster.

Another sore spot is Deathlok. The original character looks like every 12 year old boy's wet dream:

deathlokmain.png

Yet they went with this for Agents of Shield:

1115a480bfce155bc5fc2b4463b18d41.jpg

I genuinely don't understand who these redesigns are for. After 10+ years of comic book movies, why do producers still think audiences won't accept zanier characters?

I loved XO Manowar. Valiant had some great stuff. But as Valiant grew, they're stories suffered. Had to keep reaching and competing with Marvel & DC. After only a few years they were bought out by Acclaim and everything turned to ****. I still have many of those original runs of comics. Was a time when they were worth good money. Probably worthless now.
Last time I read X-O he abandoned the gal he spent an entire run trying to marry, returned back to Earth to find her getting ****** by some other guy and said "lol I wish you well". Why would you break up the couple literally as soon as the run's over? Why do any of that? If you can't get in the mindset of the character you're writing, don't create such a character, simple as that. Although I will say that Aric's constant whining over "muh Romans" got on my nerves, so I always liked the concept more than the execution.

I'm with you. Still not over what they did to Taskmaster.

Another sore spot is Deathlok. The original character looks like every 12 year old boy's wet dream:

deathlokmain.png

Yet they went with this for Agents of Shield:

1115a480bfce155bc5fc2b4463b18d41.jpg
I'm not even acknowledging Taskmaster as the same person. It's another character in name only. The look isn't there, the backstory is different, it's just another OC with an existing name slapped on top for marketing reasons.

As for Deathlok, I liked the modern one's costume, but they couldn't even do that properly. And this guy was clearly supposed to be the 616 version of the AoS character, despite the different names.

a5d3890507b6fd28a88902367ccba731--deathlok-marvel-comic-games.jpg

I actually liked the new Deathlok, and I read his run, but he was quickly shelved. AFAIK there's a new Deathlok and he's... Miles Morales from the future. Why can't they stop shoving him down our throats? Why not push the Deathlok people like, Michael Collins? He's the 90s to Manning's original. He was an interesting black character who stood on his own, but noooooo, we gotta have more Miles Morales so that Bendis can get more royalties. More amalgams, more warped identities. I hate that form of marketing. I remember when Stark offered Collins a job for being such an excellent programmer, and I always wanted to incorporate Deathlok in the Iron Man Mythos/Supporting Cast. But nope. Gotta publish the 50th "Tony loses his company" story while Deathlok is now Miles Morales...

As for the costumes, personally, I think we never really left the 00s tacticool mindset. It's just that we went from all black leather and that grungy aesthetic to muted pleather and a bit more extravagant concepts. But nobody's going to do any of the actual comics justice. I don't need Wolverine and Cyclops running around with their underwear on the outside, but if you're doing an Infinity Gauntlet/War movie, there's no reason to tone down Thanos to a version where he's just some mopey "ends justify the means" character, and the biggest setpiece you have is a barren world. As a fan of Cosmic Marvel, all of my faves have been butchered, and it doesn't look as if anything's gonna change.

I genuinely don't understand who these redesigns are for. After 10+ years of comic book movies, why do producers still think audiences won't accept zanier characters?
Same reason why there are awful quips and self-deprecating jokes every 10 seconds. The more "out there" they go and the "sillier" it all becomes, it takes skill to pull it off and make people immersed. So rather than try, they just go "wink wink, ain't this hecking silly" and the general audience doesn't feel like they're nerds, so they just watch their dumbed down popcorn flick and that's it. No stakes, no pathos, nothing. When in doubt, just turn everything into a joke and make sure you're in on it. Then nobody can ridicule you because you're doing to yourself already.

Last edited:

Hardcore fans within the demographics of this forum/community don't have the numbers and don't have the purchasing leverage to support the kind of material that those many dedicated zealots want to go see.

Suzanne Collins knew exactly her target audience when she wrote The Hunger Games.

Serenity made about 40 million at the box office. That's both domestic and around the world. In theory, it made back it's budget of 39 million for production, but that doesn't account for the marketing, etc, etc. Now Serenity had the benefit of still being the DVD era, where large DVD sales were also a factor in what got made or how far it went.

So even with Joss Whedon's legacy fanbase, it just wasn't popular. And I loved Serenity, and I loved Firefly. But no one watched it. Not enough did. I mean if you poll the people here, sure, it's a widespread favorite. But it's still not enough.

The only answer I can give you is widespread appeal and acceptance of animation. I abhorred the Enders Game film, and it took a long time for Orson Scott Card to sign off on someone doing that film. However if it was an animated TV series, with 13 episode seasons and 3-4 seasons, they could have fleshed that out and made a low budget work. But it's not that easy to put that kind of story into animation and aim it at adults.

Same thing for Wheel Of Time. Just too expensive and too complex for live action.

The first question I ask myself is if the IP in question is in the right medium. Some horrific movies would have been good starting fodder for a TV series. Some TV series would have been better off as movies. I don't think Oliver Stone should have made a thousand different versions of Alexander the film. I do think a TV series would have allowed him to go into depth and really explore the story. But those kind of live action stories are expensive. If he pitched it post Game Of Thrones, he might have gotten the financing for it. In contrast, Prison Break only really made sense for one season. And a show like Masters of Sex would have been better off as a film.

The second question I ask myself is if it's just too difficult to tell that kind of story. Westerns struggle to make money. Most of them. Sci Fi also struggles most of the time. So a sci fi cowboy show and film by Joss Whedon was really pushing the limits.

Both Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith have said the same exact thing over and over again - If you want creative freedom, keep dropping the budget, and then you'll be left alone. Smith pointed out a lot of earlier movies were "safe" films. They were super low budget, his friends ( like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck) ended up bringing good name brand casting for basic rate, and he entered the industry at just the right time.

If you want more hard sci fi and more hard fantasy, more purist, then it has to be made cheap. But those are exactly the kind of live action series that aren't cheap by any stretch.

We are outnumbered. And beyond that, you are outnumbered.

Hardcore fans within the demographics of this forum/community don't have the number and don't have the purchasing leverage to support the kind of material that those many dedicated zealots want to go see.

Suzanne Collins knew exactly her target audience when she wrote The Hunger Games.

Serenity made about 40 million at the box office. That's both domestic and around the world. In theory, it made back it's budget of 39 million for production, but that doesn't account for the marketing, etc, etc. Now Serenity had the benefit of still being the DVD era, where large DVD sales were also a factor in what got made or how far it went.

So even with Joss Whedon's legacy fanbase, it just wasn't popular. And I loved Serenity, and I loved Firefly. But no one watched it. Not enough did. I mean if you poll the people here, sure, it's a widespread favorite. But it's still not enough.

The only answer I can give you is widespread appeal and acceptance of animation. I abhorred the Enders Game film, and it took a long time for Orson Scott Card to sign off on someone doing that film. However if it was an animated TV series, with 13 episode seasons and 3-4 seasons, they could have fleshed that out and made a low budget work. But it's not that easy to put that kind of story into animation and aim it at adults.

Same thing for Wheel Of Time. Just too expensive and too complex for live action.

The first question I ask myself is if the IP in question is in the right medium. Some horrific movies would have been good starting fodder for a TV series. Some TV series would have been better off as movies. I don't think Oliver Stone should have made a thousand different versions of Alexander the film. I do think a TV series would have allowed him to go into depth and really explore the story. But those kind of live action stories are expensive. If he pitched it post Game Of Thrones, he might have gotten the financing for it. In contrast, Prison Break only really made sense for one season. And a show like Masters of Sex would have been better off as a film.

The second question I ask myself is if it's just too difficult to tell that kind of story. Westerns struggle to make money. Most of them. Sci Fi also struggles most of the time. So a sci fi cowboy show and film by Joss Whedon was really pushing the limits.

Both Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith have said the same exact thing over and over again - If you want creative freedom, keep dropping the budget, and then you'll be left alone. Smith pointed out a lot of earlier movies were "safe" films. They were super low budget, his friends ended up bringing good name brand casting for basic rate, and he entered the industry at just the right time.

If you want more hard sci fi and more hard fantasy, more purist, then it has to be made cheap. But those are exactly the kind of live action series that aren't cheap by any stretch.

We are outnumbered. And beyond that, you are outnumbered.
You are right about everything, which is why I've learned to live with Thanos no longer being the universe's biggest Death groupie. But if you're gonna do something as nonsensical as the High Evolutionary, why not go all the way and give him the damn mask and suit? If you're gonna adapt Dune, why not try a bit harder than cliche brutalism? I'm not expecting the comic book monologues of Adam Warlock to come to life, but come on, throw me a bone. To this day I don't think any cape flick has satisfied me as an adaptation. I'll always look at the MCU as a watered down Ultimate universe, and the original Iron Man remains the only genuine film. Brannagh's Thor could've been something too, but it was too early. Still, you can definitely see the difference between Thor 1 and 4.

I never cared much for the flicks themselves, but all the changes are interfering with my collections, darn it...

Same reason why there are awful quips and self-deprecating jokes every 10 seconds. The more "out there" they go and the "sillier" it all becomes, it takes skill to pull it off and make people immersed. So rather than try, they just go "wink wink, ain't this hecking silly" and the general audience doesn't feel like they're nerds, so they just watch their dumbed down popcorn flick and that's it. No stakes, no pathos, nothing.
This is the one thing I respect about Snyder's DC films: at least they embrace the cosmic zaniness. Of course, their defense mechanism is throwing in heaps of melodramatic pseudo-philosophy, but at least the cosmic nonsense stays intact. :lol

It's all cringe at this point, though. I'm good without superhero movies for the rest of my life.

When in doubt, just turn everything into a joke and make sure you're in on it. Then nobody can ridicule you because you're doing to yourself already.
Yeah, I'm really tired of this approach.

4f1cc302ae3a1b315316829bad793b59.jpg

I have a similar gripe with the new Doom games. It's not enough that the subject matter is the kind of thing you'd see painted on the side of a van, we need NPCs to remind the player of how silly the world is. No one who plays Doom beyond the age of 14 takes it seriously. Its inherent ridiculousness is levity enough.

Back