Great comic book covers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_147.jpg

I started making a list of comics for this thread years ago, but there were just too many amazing covers.

Then I forgot.

Now I'm resurrecting this thread and I'll post one of my all time favorites, Blackhawk #3 by Howard Chaykin:

f1cVe3i.jpg

I always thought it was so classy....I had no idea until recently that Chaykin was doing an homage to this old advertisement:

jcl_arrow1929.jpg

What a cool game! I love that Jae Lee one.
3-1.jpg

262-2.jpg

270-1.jpg

AvengersAnnual14-FantasticFourAnnual19.jpg

286-1.jpg

67-1.jpg

Gimmicks & crossovers got me hooked.

Um, that was more crossovers than gimmicks, so about those gimmicks...
50-5.jpg

The foil embossed,
400-1.jpg

prism,
1-1.jpg

multiple variants,
50-2.jpg

diecut,
2-1.jpg

acetate,
304-2.jpg

hologram,
25-1.jpg

foil-stamped,
25-1.jpg

I dunno, foil-etched? Just seems a lot of foil to stamp. And notice Cap's shield?
That made the new (or is that current or modern?) GotG very awesome! Anyway continuing...
Infinity_Ware_Gatefold_Cover-620x329.jpg

gatefold covers,
generation-x-1-a.jpg

chromium,
ghostrider15-cover-106255.jpg

the awesome glow in the dark, and (I should'a used GitD Venom to keep it cosmic themed with a light reference to inhumutants, but this one was much bigger to make you scroll down just a little bit further to add a bit more impact for)
385296097_o.jpg

the sealed 5-pack for both army builders and the MISB collectors.

...hmmm, maybe I've gone a bit off topic.

^I remember all of those, LOL. Foil embossed, die cut, variant covers...to be a comic collector in the 90's was a fun time.

All right, here are some more of my all time favorite covers.

It's hard to choose based on just the cover alone. There are tons of covers that seem more special or are personal favorites cause the issue is so good, but I wanted to share some that I think are really striking visually, whether or not the story was good. But most of these are really good anyway.

So. Frank Miller. Probably my all time favorite American comic book artist. I think he reached his peak right around the late 80s and early 90s. Before he started doing Sin City and taking things to a minimal level, which I am a fan of, he was doing some of his most detailed art and composition that was colored by Lynn Varley's inimitable paints. I think their work on Elektra Lives Again is the best stuff Frank ever drew.

The cover of the Wolverine mini-series trade:

JHYBeWQ.jpg

Lone Wolf and Cub number 6:

Lone Wolf and Cub 6.jpg

Continuing with Wolverine...

The first issue of his ongoing series, by John Buscema:

Wolverine_n1-c01.jpg

Issue 43, love the use of color here, drawn by Marc Silvestri:

Wolverine_n43-p00.jpg

Issue 78 by Adam Kubert...love the use of white negative space:

Wolverine #078 Cover.jpg

Issue 273...just an awesome portrait of Logan by David Finch

Wolverine #173 - 00.jpg

Variant cover to Wolverine Origins #1 by the late Michael Turner:

turner.jpg

Everyone knew the GI Joe comic blew the cartoon out of the water.

Mike Zeck's covers were legendary.

m038_cvr.jpg

m052_cvr.jpg

m053_cvr.jpg

Not to be undone by Michael Golden!

m157_cvr.jpg

Speaking of Micheal Golden...look at these striking covers from The 'Nam

The 'Nam - 02 - Dust Off - 00 - FC.jpg

The'Nam#007-00.jpg

And then there was GI Joe's less successful cousin Transformers. (Hard to believe now, but back in the late 80s, Joe comics blew TF comics away in terms of popularity.) I love so many of the old Transformers covers, but the first one that comes to mind is issue 67, drawn by a pre-X-Men Jim Lee

issue67_cover.jpg

And a few more....

Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man deserves to be in the top 5 super hero comics of ALL TIME. And each issue was wrapped in a gorgeous cover by the one and only Brian Bolland. It's hard to choose just one, but this one is a real stand out:

animal man 19 00.jpg

BRASS was a little-known Image book from the 90s. Iron Man rip off...guy flies around in a suit of alien armor. Not a remarkable story but this cover always stayed with me, drawn by Richard Bennett:

Brass_v1_3_00fc_[g-seti].jpg

There are too many amazing covers by Joe Quesada to post them all, so I'll choose this one, Ninjak #3, because of the obvious homage to Alphonse Mucha, a big influence on Quesada and a pioneer of art nouveau:

Ninjak 03 01.jpg

Another of the all time great series is Planetary, by Warren Ellis and John Cassady. Again, it's hard to select just one cover from so many beautiful covers, but one I really liked is number 21, again for possible homage to Mucha, but also for the psychedelic linework and the two-tone green and purple:

Planetary_21-01.jpg

And now Vertigo Pop: Tokyo #4 by the late great Seth Fisher. This one manages to be uniquely Japanese without resorting to drawing in an obvious manga style. Fisher was a mad genius and it's a damn shame he's no longer with us.

Vertigo_Pop_-_Tokyo_04_c01.jpg

Last but not least, the cover of Young Magazine, from Japan. 1986. Drawn by Katushiro Otomo. This issue featured a segment of AKIRA. You might recognize it from my avatar! I just really love this cover. This comic book is pretty rare. People don't usually save the weekly manga books...they usually read them and throw them away, and wait for the collected editions. I was lucky enough to buy an actual copy of this one last year...can't believe some Japanese nerd had enough foresight to save it for 30 years, but it's mine now!

young.jpg

Back