GOTG Vol. 2 - Groot Life-Size Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This little guy got delivered this week. Not had a chance to play with it yet but he looks awesome. The box is pretty impressive too. Very happy with this purchase. Managed to pick him up for around £120.

IAMGROOT.jpg

“Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice”

ElObSMk.jpg

Let mine be a cautionary tale. I am usually very precious with my figures, but I was so excited for this guy that I ran outside to take pictures of him with real plants. I'd seen some great pictures of him here in outdoor settings.

He comes with 8 little rubber 'shoots' you can stick in him. Yeah. One of those is gone. Who knows where. It stuck in near his hand, but the hole wasn't cut quite big enough, and I hoped it would just stay in there for a few photos. It was there for about two photos.

And everything was fine with the faces. I checked back at my photos. He fell over but things were fine. But somewhere between the photos and now ... I scratched one of the eyes on one of the faces. I don't even know how. Gloss pain ain't gonna fix it.

My Ravager costume has scratches on the zipper paint. It's not a big deal but it looks odd with the bright silver showing through. Maybe it arrived that way, or maybe I scratched the paint putting the suit on? I usually carefully take photos of every stage of box opening in case anything is wrong but I didn't take any photos of the suit or box tray. First time I'd gotten complacent. Argh.

Basically, if I display him with the Ravager costume but without the shoots, I know something is wrong. If I display him without the suit and with the shoots, I know something is wrong. And the best face is useless now. I opened the box about three hours ago :p

I was so excited for this figure. Too excited! I might have to try and sell the extra bits and pieces and let that soften the blow of buying a new one, though I've never tried selling any figures or parts before. Gutted. The pure joy of a new figure has turned into guilt and sorrow, and it's all down to my own stupidity.

I'll post some photos in a minute though of what it looked like before everything went wrong.

I reckon someone could make some money just selling spare shoots! A lot of people are going to lose some.

Ah that eye damage :( Really sorry that happened

Those little shoots come out very easily you have to be careful when using them for sure. Thanks for at least giving people a heads up on what to avoid doing :duff

Yes very much appreciated. Love the idea of shots with plants though. Fits perfectly to Groot.

That zipper paint chipping probably isn't such a big deal, considering what he went through with the Ravenger crew, that outfit should be pretty weathered !

Yes very much appreciated. Love the idea of shots with plants though. Fits perfectly to Groot.

That zipper paint chipping probably isn't such a big deal, considering what he went through with the Ravenger crew, that outfit should be pretty weathered !

I wasn't sure whether the zipper paint was me or whether it arrived that way, so I tried running my thumb lightly over it ... and paint flaked off and the edge of each tooth went shiny. So folks, just do not touch it at all! Don't let it brush against anything. It's a fake zip, but one of the clasps is behind it, and I might have scratched the paint off the first time snapping in that clasp.

Yeah it's not the worst thing. It is a bit shiny, though. I am going to at least try a bit of gloss paint on the damaged eye and when I get that I'll ask the model shop person whether they think they have anything that matches the paint colour on the fake zipper.

The eye scratch is really visible in certain light, and from certain angles, and invisible in others, so it's not a dealbreaker. But I KNOW IT'S THERE and you all know how that feels :p

I'll keep an eye on Toy Anxiety and places like that in case some spare shoots get sold. Some people might get two Groots and want to keep one clothed and so sell the shoots. Someone might even part out a face. If I was rich I would get two and mix and match and have clothed and au naturale with no problems, but $500 Australian just on Groots is a bit much, really.

That was my 44th figure, I think, and I've never lost a part before, let alone scratched one so quickly. It was just one of those days.

Hang on. Let me double check that claim I just made ...

I tried to customize the paintwork on a Sideshow R2 and made that look a bit worse, but at least that bad decision was a conscious one :p I cut a stray thread from a Batman cape with some curved nail scissors that were handy and nipped off a bit of cape edge so wire was showing, but a drop of paint made that invisible. I posed a Predator arm too high and knocked off a shoulder pad but that glued right back on. Lost a button from a Doctor Who, found it, glued it back on. Snapped a thread in a Robin cape because I didn't know it was sewn folded. Broke a Sideshow C3P0 arm piston trying to follow a 'How to Be a Poser' video a year after I'd got him but those C3P0s are pretty badly made. Pilled the stocking of a Batman '66 costume trying to pose him climbing up that window he comes with. Snapped a General Zod figure's foot off the very first time I tried to pose him.

Come to think of it, maybe I am just a terrible figure owner ... But that's 35 others who have survived unscathed! :p

I'm sorry you got me as your owner, Groot!

If it makes you feel any better, the pictures are great.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the zipper. It looks fine. As for the eye, I would try some future floor polish before I tried paint. It may fill in the scratch better.

Great pictures, guys!
I placed a pre-order through wzlucky1983 on ebay and the item changed to "in-stock" last week, but had not shipped yet. Does anyone have any experience with them?

After several years of admiring Hot Toys products through social media and various visits to my local Forbidden Planet store, I pulled the trigger last year and pre-ordered Groot Life-Size Figure the same day it was announced.

The Groot Life-Size Figure finally arrived this week and I couldn’t be more pleased, not only this figure stunning the box presentation splendid! In fact I think I’ve set myself up for another fatal error and latched onto another expensive hobby. I’ve already visited Hot Toys site numerous times since the figure arrived and I already have several more products in mind for future purchases.

The Life-Size concept for this character is something I always wished for ever since the teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017). The concept of the figure interacting with normal day objects was always going to be adorable and cute, it couldn't have been achieved better by any other brand besides Hot Toys. I'm normally not a fan of action figures but this being Life-Size ultimately counts as a move prop in my eyes and for me that's more special and appealing than traditional character figures and statues.

3a8xw91uwofd.jpeg

Sorry if this was answered already...is there any mention in manual of jumpsuit staining figure if you leave it on too long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this was answered already...is there any mention in manual of jumpsuit staining figure if you leave it on too long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was putting the suit on (which is surprisingly easy to do). Don’t think I’ll leave him in for long, but he looks a lot better with it on. Extremely happy with this little guy just wish there was some more accessories and the three faces are just too similar looking.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was putting the suit on (which is surprisingly easy to do). Don’t think I’ll leave him in for long, but he looks a lot better with it on. Extremely happy with this little guy just wish there was some more accessories and the three faces are just too similar looking.

the faces, right? wtf were they thinking.
i hope there's a third party for some alternative faces...wishful thinking.

Back