Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they learned thier lesson, fans want them to stay true to the character and also make him modern, they didnt do that with the other one.

We'll see, I've seen numerous films added to existing franchises with the filmmakers claiming to get it and they don't, so until storylines start showing up and images of G's design surface, I'm just happy to see Godzilla's still worth making movies to people, now to see how good this film is.

It's another American film though. After '98, I'm not holding my breath for them to do a true Godzilla movie, but I'm hopeful they might, i'd love to see a Japanese style Godzilla with American CGI and budget.

was Toho involved in the 1998 disappointment ? if not then that could be what makes this reboot of 1954 very promising.

was Toho involved in the 1998 disappointment ? if not then that could be what makes this reboot of 1954 very promising.

Yes, they were, they had to sign off on the '98 design and they dictated not seeing Godzilla actually kill a human, which is why even the babies kill off camera.

Yes, they were, they had to sign off on the '98 design and they dictated not seeing Godzilla actually kill a human, which is why even the babies kill off camera.

uh oh ! im feeling a bit queasy i may just throw up

It's not to say that the American guys weren't deceptive about plans and not fully up front, who knows if the film is exactly what Toho expected.

why didnt they want godzilla to kill people ? Godzilla kills people all the time he smashes everything and he's indestructible.

They didn't want gore kills, like they didn't want to see Godzilla biting people in half and things like that. I think they wanted to avoid him seeming like a blatant murderer, for the most part, the death caused by Godzilla is more incidental of him trying to cope with the world he's in, but I think they feared being an American movie, you might see him ripping people apart like Jurassic Park's dinosaurs. However, if they were concerned about his image like that, I'm surprised they approved of the design of the '98 creature and the more dinosaur like execution of it.

I remember when I saw the first teaser of the foot coming down through the museum, I thought Godzilla would still stand upright, I was really surprised the first time I saw that he was more like a T-Rex.

This was the maquette presented to Toho and one of the first images I saw of it, pretty suggestive of an upright design compared to what was done in the movie. Even all the toys from Trendmasters made him upright.

gzla_002.jpg

Very few items based on Tristar Godzilla have him in his dinosaur posture.

All this talk of Godzilla makes me want to pull out the few Godzilla DVDs I have and get the rest. :monkey3

Wow, I wish they would have stuck to him remaining upright. He looks MUCH better like that, and would have been a very good design update if they had gone with a more serious theme.

But is that really the design that was shown to Toho? I always heard that they were shown a completely different design.

Fairly certain, wish I could remember where, but I swear I saw a shot of the maquette on a table at Toho in some behind the scenes article or video discussing working with those guys. While the end result wasn't really a Godzilla movie, prior to release I had no idea it wouldn't be so I followed the making of and development of the movie pretty closely, watched specials about it.

Doing some research, you may be thinking of this, it's not the exact thing, but Jan De Bont did a design for consideration that was ultimately not used.

Best image I could find.

G-94POSTER72.jpg

So Debont had a more faithful design, and if what I read is true, Stan Winston's maquette was for the film when Debont was slated to make it before Tristar parted ways with him and went to Emmerich.

Last edited:
Nah, I remember hearing that it was the Tristar crew that tricked Toho so they could make the movie that they wanted. DeBont really did want to make a faithful Godzilla movie. Shame he never got to do it; I'm not a big fan of the idea of a monster mashup in the very first film, but he seemed to be on the right track.

Hrmn. Now I wonder what happened to make him leave the project...

Hrmn. Now I wonder what happened to make him leave the project...

As I read it, the studio left him because of budget concerns regarding the film Debont wanted to make.

As for Tristar tricking Toho, I'd consider that maquette I posted pretty deceiving. A magazine I got had an illustration based on the maquette, I still have the page stored away, and between that and the toys, I got the impression of a new G design but your typical upright Godzilla, not the dinosaur that they ultimately went with. I'm sure Tristar's film was ultimately not what Toho expected, considering they even trashed the design in Final Wars, I think that's apparent.

they learned thier lesson, fans want them to stay true to the character and also make him modern, they didnt do that with the other one.

Now that is an overly optimistic statement if I've ever heard one :lol

Anyone seeking to make a remake is usually completely out of touch with what the original fanbase is looking for. Could a new movie be good.. sure, will it be; doubtful.

Anyone seeking to make a remake is usually completely out of touch with what the original fanbase is looking for. Could a new movie be good.. sure, will it be; doubtful.

At least Toho's own Final Wars set such a low bar that this could be a refreshing film :lol With Tristar's, it came after Destroyah, which I think set a pretty big bar for a Godzilla movie to follow up to.

VERY good day today for this G fan. After years of hunting for it, I recently, finally found the Kaiyodo 1:400 scale Godzilla 1984 model kit for a reasonable price. This thing has been the grail of '84/'85 Godzilla pieces for me. No surprise it's sculpted by Yuji Sakai. It arrived today and it's so satisfying to finally have it. It's all in pieces and needs to be painted, but it's finally in my posession after wanting it for a long time.

Here are the images of it I found years ago that got me on the hunt. Not sure who took them, but I know the first came from this site.

https://www.kaijukits.com/collections/ghost/index.html

KG841.jpg

KG842.jpg

At least Toho's own Final Wars set such a low bar that this could be a refreshing film :lol

Was it really that bad? I'll have to go back and watch Final Wars, but I recall loving all the 2000 era Godzilla movies, though I've yet to own them.

I was looking @ that kit yesterday on Ebay!
Looks amazing!!
Onec you have it painted, you must shoot lots of amazing pics!!
:rock:rock!

I'm thinking about getting a 12"-14" Godzilla to go with my Mezco 15' Kong...
any recommendations Sean?

Was it really that bad? I'll have to go back and watch Final Wars, but I recall loving all the 2000 era Godzilla movies, though I've yet to own them.

It may not be the worst Godzilla ever, but, a lot of my criticism of it comes from the fact that it was intended to be a final Godzilla film from Toho, and as a movie to end a series on, it was terrible. I really equate it to when the Rocky series ended with Rocky 5, thankfully Stallone at least fixed that, I'm hopeful of Toho fixing things with Godzilla.

Last edited:
Onec you have it painted, you must shoot lots of amazing pics!!
:rock:rock!

I definitely will, it'll be a bit though, I'm going to send the Kaiyodo and West Kenji kits to les to build and paint up for me once his backlog clears up.

Of course, you can see why, these are Les' Godzillas from his site.

gparade1.jpg

The one in the middle is the very same '84 Kaiyodo, though Less modded his for a closed mouth. The West Kenji kit is made to be mouth closed so I'm going to leave that one that way and keep the Kaiyodo roaring.

Back