Ghostbusters Afterlife (November 11th -2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I’m really liking what I’ve seen so far, this film seems like it’ll be a genuine labour of love from Jason Reitman to his father and Harold Ramis. I think this movie is in very safe hands.

Looks OK. Definitely a better direction to go in.

The kids being the Ghostbusters is a touch underwhelming. They're a few years too late trying to play on the whole Stranger Things craze.

In today's world, kids seems like the good way to go.

Otherwise, you'd end up with Seth Rogen and co. trying to emulate the late-great Ghostbuster crew but adding pot jokes, penis jokes, and poop jokes.

I don't watch trailers so I will wait for watching this for the first time on blu ray. Love watching movies with a complete blank canvas. Its the way to watch movies folks.

Looks OK. Definitely a better direction to go in.

The kids being the Ghostbusters is a touch underwhelming. They're a few years too late trying to play on the whole Stranger Things craze.
Yeah it looks kind of cute and well shot but at the same time not exactly something to get excited about. As someone said, it's Stranger Things kids retreading the GB1 storyline, given a nice stylistic twist by the indie film vibe Jason R specializes in.

For me a key problem with it is the aspect of it appearing to be very much beat-for-beat GB1 in a different rural setting. And other than the return of the old-man GBs to save the day and reconnect to family in the last third, there's not a lot of the movie we haven't seen in that trailer.

And just like the ST and Star Wars, this and the 2016 movie struggle to connect the franchise to some deeper social phenomenon like the originals did.

GB1 was that snarky Letterman/frat-guy vibe that rose in the early 80s to put the spiritual/post-hippie/health food/feminist/environmental craziness of the 1970s in its place and give the middle finger to yuppies and corrupt authority. In some ways it wasn't pretty, but it bulls-eyed the zeitgeist of 1984.

Today's cultural landscape is just so totally different, so this is out there without the reason-for-being anchor - common in so many "reboot the franchise because its a franchise" movies.

Hopefully "the death of small town America" (and family breakdown) is a more prevalent thematic undercurrent in the movie than in the trailer because that potentially has some stirring social relevance.

Last edited:
Ah, classic Hollywood, no clue what to do next. Let's just rehash an old IP and ruin it. In this case, ruin it further.

Hopefully "the death of small town America" (and family breakdown) is a more prevalent thematic undercurrent in the movie than in the trailer because that potentially has some stirring social relevance.

I do like that angle; the boys left more behind than just their equipment... like traumatized kids.

There is the mystery too with "where did all the Dads go?" I hope the kids don't 'find them' in GhostLand at the end... but I fear that's where this might go. Family reunion, CGI style.

I think the newest trailer was pretty horrible. Overly sentimental. And it seems like a small thing, but the terror dog skidding the same way he did in the original film was pretty lame. Do they really need to remind us of that? Doesn't make me interested in this movie. But the jury is out. I'll see it unless the consensus is that it is terrible. Hopefully it's just a bad trailer. I did like the special effects of the ghosts they showed, and the way they recreated the lights in the sky.

The other issue I had with the trailer is that the main character girl seems to be one of those "movie kids" (right down to her ringlet hair and Egon mega-glasses.) Characters from creatives who have no experience with kids, even if they have kids.

Nothing in this trailer offended me, yet nothing in this trailer compelled me to want to see the movie. It's so formulaic I feel like I've already watched it.

I'm sure I'll add this to the list of movies I'll download and skip ahead to see the cameos of the old cast, and then forget about.

The original Ghostbusters is probably a top 5 all time movie for me. It's truly perfect. It's a wonderful snapshot of early 80s America, it's the quintessential "New York" movie, and it's still really, really damn funny all these years later. There was never really a need for a sequel in 89 but we went anyway. Even then, it wasn't the same. Nothing is ever gonna top that perfect original movie.

At least this one looks harmless. It's not gonna "tarnish" anything like that 2016 disaster did. But just like that movie wasn't for me, I don't think this one is either. I don't care about the nerdy, outcast loser kids banding together and saving the day. Pretty sure Stranger Things and IT beat that concept into the ground.

The other issue I had with the trailer is that the main character girl seems to be one of those "movie kids" (right down to her ringlet hair and Egon mega-glasses.) Characters from creatives who have no experience with kids, even if they have kids.

She's a live action re-creation of the girl from "The Mitchells vs the Machines" or whatever that crap was. Same dumb hair, dumb glasses, lousy fashion.

I hate kids in films

Never watched the 2016 film

To paraphrase everyone else, this just looks like a formulaic stranger things wannabe, uninteresting cash grab

Kids in movies robs any sense of danger or stakes. You really think they're gonna let any of those kids get maimed or killed? Hell no. They'll all be "freaks" and "Weirdos" and at the end of the movie they're gonna be the most popular kids in school.

Back