Figures of color?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. I guess I blundered heavy with how I presented the topic. Sorry. I have a five page report due and I wanted to make the 1:6 world my topic. My teacher wanted me to narrow it down and single out an area of interest. But it has to be something open for debate. I don't have many figures maybe twenty five total. Unfortunately, they are all the same shade. So it hit me when a black friend asked me, "Where's the love?" I responded it wasn't my fault, there's really no representation. It hit me then that this should be my book report topic.
With two weeks to get this done, I figured I would try discussing this topic with the collecting community. I'm not good with words so this will be a big project for me, but i am very interested in the topic as I plan to be a long time collector like other members of my family.

I don't think the AA Art. S. Buck sold well for two big reasons. No painted face, no back up head sculpts to use, and it's hard to use a dark stock body with a caucasian head sculpt, especially when the clothes are too short in the arms.

It's been suggested that I branch out to other forums as well but I'm still learning how to properly word what I'm really trying to ask. So, please be kind everyone.

I plan on opening with a brief history. I think G.I*. Issued their first AA figure in 1965, is this correct?:confused: Book reports are hard when there isn't a library close by and we're told we can only use two references from the web but they have to be legit. Now here's one which I've found but I don't think it's real. Can anyone clarify?

CHICAGO, IL. 8/22/2001
© Invisible America
This week the Hasbro Corporation announced the first ever Hispanic G.I. Joe figure- 'G.I. José.'

The G.I.'s full name is José N. Pedazos, his alias: 'Cannon Fodder.'

A Hasbro executive explained "Even though he's a toy, we tried to make him as realistically Hispanic as possible. First of all, we will not be releasing a twelve inch figure as we do with our anglo G.I. Joes. G.I. José will only be available in the short and stout three and a half inch figure. Furthermore, G.I. José will not fight with the other G.I. Joe figurines- he will fight with the first division of the Infantry, which will be made up entirely of Hispanic and African American figurines. "

G.I. José will also be known as 'The one who goes in first.'

G.I. José N. Pedazos, who is of Columbian descent, will face his first mission in his homeland. He comes equipped with a counter narcotics helicopter for spraying crops in the Colombian highlands (*). On the back of the box his mission is described as "Take out the coca fields, the drug lords, their henchmen, the rebel armies, the uppity peasantry, and anyone else who is suspiciously not involved with one of these groups.

Taken from the interentHasbro also announced they would soon introduce a talking version of G.I. José.

A Latino veteran speculated "However, when it comes to the real situation of Latinos in the Army (*), the talking G.I. José will adhere to a strict 'Don't ask, don't tell,' policy."

FOR MORE QUALITY REPORTING ON HISPANIC G.I. JOE, VISIT POCHO.COM

©IA NEWS 2001

I have a lot of research to do I guess. If anyone can steer me in the right direction or have helpful facts to share, please do. I will need references though so if you could include the source that would be helpful.

I've gathered some current toy companies I need to research the history and offerings from:

G.I. Joe 12"
Hasbro
Toy Biz
Playmates
Medicom
Dragon
SideShow
Soldier Story
Dog Soldiers
Ignite
Hot Toys
DiD
Mcfarline

What other companies are/were there?

Here is a quick outline I'm working on for each page

Maybe my title should be "Ethnic characters in the 1:6th world or the lack of" But it still seems weak and too long.

That article is a joke article.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see a story here. I hope if you do a story about this, that you'll include how many blacks actually collect 1/6 figures.

That article is a joke article.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see a story here. I hope if you do a story about this, that you'll include how many blacks actually collect 1/6 figures.

I went to the link and it wasn't there so I figured it was a hoax. Plus it just seemed wrong, and crude.

slayers.jpg

They're all customs from the Buffy series.
From left to right:
Nikki Wood, Vampire Slayer and the second Spike killed. Next is her son Robin, all grown up and now working with the Slayers of Cleveland, Charles Gunn, sculpt courtesy of Binky and Jinx is standing in for Xander's love interest Renee. As soon as I finished my custom, she was killed by some Japanese vampire.:huh

I agree with the poster who said it was more a reflection on Hollywood than Sideshow; however, there's no excuse for the fact that they haven't done a Lando yet, except for the fact that he would sell poorly, as the Hasbro Lando's have always done - so perhaps its more a reflection on collectors too.

I think part of the reason Lando never sold well may have been that every attempt Hasbro made looked like crap.

I think its a cool idea for a book report, I'd be interested in what you find.

But, the GI Jose article was clearly a joke. But if you want info on black action figures, send Sladesuperagent a PM. He's a buddy and has a pretty badass collection of "the one black" character from a number of series, as well as some real interesting black figures

Also, look for information on Shindana toys, they were active in the 70's. Slade Super Agent is one of their figures, as well as toys of Red Foxx, JJ Walker and other African American stars from that time. With this as their mission: "We believe that only by learning to love oneself can one learn to love others...Shindana believes that by marketing black dolls and games that both black and white children can learn to relate to at an early age, the company can foster the spirit of what Shindana is all about, love."

men of color have a big certain part of anatomy. Sideshow would go bankrupt with all the extra plastic they would have to use to create the accurate bulge in the figure's pants. this is the reason we see few of these types of figures. it was the subject of my 7th grade English paper.

men of color have a big certain part of anatomy. Sideshow would go bankrupt with all the extra plastic they would have to use to create the accurate bulge in the figure's pants. this is the reason we see few of these types of figures. it was the subject of my 7th grade English paper.

:lol You're bad!

That's actually a myth.

That particular racist myth was created by slave traders to help them sell black slaves.

I really wanted to get the Wai Lin figure because I'm a big Michelle Yeoh fan, but the weak headsculpt turned me off. She looked frightened or anxious or something. Not good for Michelle Yeoh!

Damn I missed the Blacula figure news!

I would love a vamped version of Eddie Murphy from A Vampire In Brooklyn.

Blacula hasn't come out yet... he was announced awhile back from Amoktime. I would guess we'll see him released around March or April.

Blaxploitation figures are a huge part of my collection. There has always been a lack of black super heroes--and the ones there are seem pretty menial. Outside of Blade and recently War Machine and Firestorm, there is definitely a lack of black heroes. As far as toy lines, yes, in the 70's Shindana made nothing but true Afro-centric toys, first baby dolls and then boy's toys of Dr. J, OJ Simpson, and my favorite--Slade Super Agent. They also did some Red Foxx, JJ Walker, and Cosby plush stuff. In the 80s a company called Olmec made knock-off black GI Joes and a black He-Man called Sun-Man. Hasbro's G.I. Joe had a ethically/racially diverse character every series, but beyond that, the black guy was a token character in every 80s or 90s toy line--see MOTU, Eagle Force, Silverhawks, Swamp Thing, Aliens, Conan, etc.

Now as far as 1/6 stuff, I think there is equal blame on Hollywood and the 1/6 figure making community. Sure, we got Clubber and Apollo, but where is Superfly or Shaft or Black Belt Jones? How about Candyman? Axel Foley? Berry Gordy's Last Dragon? How about any of Will Smith's gazillion alien fighting roles? You'd think we would have surely seen something in 1/6 of him at this point.

Interesting topic. Anybody mentioned the Character Options Martha Jones from Doctor Who?

I've really wondered when we'll see Lando, and I got the old model kit so I can try a custom some day. If the current Bond incarnation ever gets off the ground, the new Felix is Jeffrey Wright, and I'm thinking "Muddy Waters custom" after seeing this year's "Cadillac Records."

I don't think sales of blank bodies tell us much. I'm always on the lookout for AA bodies since I have a couple of AA customs long gestating, and I think the Buck doesn't sell better because its time is passing; there are better bodies out there. It's very tall and heroic-V-shaped and unfortunately a bit floppy compared to TrueTypes. I have a couple of AA TrueTypes, and they may not be what I ultimately use on these African-American customs. The exposed parts can be painted, after all; if I use those AA TrueTypes I'll paint them anyway. Triad has its "tan" Otaku fem body that is meant to be usable either as a light-complected AA woman or a deep-hued Hispanic.

I'd like to see a custom Djimon Hounsou sculpt. Muhammad Ali would be a drop-everything-and-order for me. But especially, and today in particular, a sculpt of the great gentleman -- Ricardo Montalban. What's the Trek universe without Khan?

Back