Dune 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic stillsuits with training shoes and bike gloves. Muted colours. Hell, there barely is any colour. I expected more imagination than literally "eh, plaster some grey and black over sand". Brutalism is a boring design choice. I want a Space Opera. These are Space Houses, not a bunch of Post-1950s Political Factions. Where's the intricate designs? Where's the fantastical element? Deakins did the Cinematography for BR49 which was tight and memorable. Fraser's taking a pretty safe route. It doesn't look bad, just "eh".

Generic stillsuits with training shoes and bike gloves. Muted colours. Hell, there barely is any colour. I expected more imagination than literally "eh, plaster some grey and black over sand". Brutalism is a boring design choice. I want a Space Opera. These are Space Houses, not a bunch of Post-1950s Political Factions. Where's the intricate designs? Where's the fantastical element? Deakins did the Cinematography for BR49 which was tight and memorable. Fraser's taking a pretty safe route. It doesn't look bad, just "eh".

Well, so far Lord of the Rings it ain't, but the trailer hasn't shown much so I'll wait to see more before I form a strong opinion on their design choices. I lean towards minimalism myself so I'm not necessarily against the stark, graphic qualities of Brutalism, but I agree that there's a difference between *austere* geometry and *flat* geometry. I don't have an opinion on the stillsuits one way or the other as of yet.

What I like about the trailer is it conveys scale and an appropriate mood in a short span of time. Whether the film sustains these things and builds something resonant on top of them remains an open question.

Well, so far Lord of the Rings it ain't, but the trailer hasn't shown much so I'll wait to see more before I form a strong opinion on their design choices. I lean towards minimalism myself so I'm not necessarily against the stark, graphic qualities of Brutalism, but I agree that there's a difference between *austere* geometry and *flat* geometry. I don't have an opinion on the stillsuits one way or the other as of yet.

What I like about the trailer is it conveys scale and an appropriate mood in a short span of time. Whether the film sustains these things and builds something resonant on top of them remains an open question.

I like flair and pomp. I don't mind minimalism here and there, but it's everywhere these days and makes everything feel repetitive and generic. These are supposed to be Space Houses, so I'd like more "identity". Crests, Armours, the lot. I liked Lynch's Napoleonic-esque take. These guys are basically wearing generic shirts and dresses. As for the scale, I'm leaning towards satisfactory, but I'll need to see more.

I have to agree with Kostis, the overall design doesn't look too inspired. While at first I hated the look of Lynch's Dune, with the time I've come to see the brilliance of its design (too bad the movie isn't very good). This does look a bit generic. The photography looks good though, IMHO.
A couple of things struck me:
- The use of the word "Crusade" instead of "Jihad". If that's some kind of PC crap it's very disappointing.
- They still don't have the balls to make the stillsuits correctly, with the face fully covered and a cloak over everything.
- I'm not yet sold on Chalamet as Paul/Muadib... which is quite a big problem :lol. I'll wait till I see more, but I'm a bit worried.

Having said that, the trailer looks great.

I like flair and pomp. I don't mind minimalism here and there, but it's everywhere these days and makes everything feel repetitive and generic. These are supposed to be Space Houses, so I'd like more "identity". Crests, Armours, the lot. I liked Lynch's Napoleonic-esque take. These guys are basically wearing generic shirts and dresses. As for the scale, I'm leaning towards satisfactory, but I'll need to see more.

That's why I'm not a big fan of Denis Villeneuve. Even his BR film was toned down visually when compared to the original, especially with the costumes. Harrison Ford was literally wearing a t shirt, and the rest of the characters were not much better. I haven't seen the original Dune, but from the photos and clips I've seen, it looks more appealing to me.

Have you seen Flash Gordon? Now that is flair and pomp.

I have to agree with Kostis, the overall design doesn't look too inspired. While at first I hated the look of Lynch's Dune, with the time I've come to see the brilliance of its design (too bad the movie isn't very good). This does look a bit generic. The photography looks good though, IMHO.
A couple of things struck me:
- The use of the word "Crusade" instead of "Jihad". If that's some kind of PC crap it's very disappointing.
Of course it's a PC thing. Don't you remember Paul being described as a Jedi from Hogwarts but a male Greta Thunberg?

- They still don't have the balls to make the stillsuits correctly, with the face fully covered and a cloak over everything.
- I'm not yet sold on Chalamet as Paul/Muadib... which is quite a big problem :lol. I'll wait till I see more, but I'm a bit worried.

Having said that, the trailer looks great.
Paul is supposed to be a bit of twink, but I don't know, Chalamet looks weird at times. I like his general look though. It's Zendaya that I still cannot get used to.

That's why I'm not a big fan of Denis Villeneuve. Even his BR film was toned down visually when compared to the original, especially with the costumes. Harrison Ford was literally wearing a t shirt, and the rest of the characters were not much better. I haven't seen the original Dune, but from the photos and clips I've seen, it looks more appealing to me.
BR49 certainly had less of a character compared to the original, but at least it still looked good from a cinematographical angle. This just looks boring. Honestly, BR49 generally felt a bit dissapointing to me. It's 3 hours long, it looks pretty, K's character journey is good enough, but it's just... eh. It came, it went and I never really think about it.
498ad9741f6c00c4c767cd1ae74a422e.gif

As for Lynch's Dune, it's got flair. I like it well enough, all things considered.

Have you seen Flash Gordon? Now that is flair and pomp.
A long time ago. That's pulp though. or Atomic Space 50s Sci-Fi or whatever the classification is. I'm talking about Historical Sci-Fi of sorts.
283ee3c2de7e1ad953de2a68c2a5882bd836cbdf.jpg

This is what I want. Intricate clothing. Distinct culture and architecture. Identity.

Another thing: I'm not seeing a lot of blue in those eyes...
Yeah, I expected the whole eye to be a piercing blue, not just a blue iris with some blue hue around it.

A long time ago. That's pulp though. or Atomic Space 50s Sci-Fi or whatever the classification is. I'm talking about Historical Sci-Fi of sorts.

This is what I want. Intricate clothing. Distinct culture and architecture. Identity.

That is really nice art design. I agree the contrast between that and the world of Arrakis would be more dramatic with the above.

It does remind me of a weird meld between Snyder's Krypton and Amidala's Naboo.

This was the trailer for Blade Runner 2049:

I liked the original teaser for 2049, but this trailer felt very generic for two reasons: it fell prey to the "trailerisms" of the current era and Villeneuve didn't want to give very much away. As a result, I wasn't very excited and went into the theater hoping it would be merely above average. Minutes after the opening text, I knew I was in for one of my favorite film experiences ever.

I wouldn't judge a film -- especially a Villeneuve sci-fi -- based on the trailer. The houses that prepare these promotional materials have to cast as wide a net as possible, so you wind up with an ad that feels generic in tone and editing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doubling down on this after 2049's disappointing box office. The PG-13 rating also indicates the studio's wanting a massive payday.

If your problems are with the designs of the outfits, I'll admit there isn't much hope at this point. But if the tone, writing (including dialogue clips), editing, or sound are your concern, a trailer is not a good indicator of what you'll get.

Hell, they may very well use the word "jihad" in the actual film (but probably not.. but maybe) and just didn't want to include it in the trailer in case bloggers would torch the film before it even releases.

That is really nice art design. I agree the contrast between that and the world of Arrakis would be more dramatic with the above.

It does remind me of a weird meld between Snyder's Krypton and Amidala's Naboo.

People rage on Lucas a lot, but if one thing's for certain is that he did try to make a proper Space Opera. The costumes, the "sets", the atmosphere, it was all very theatrical. Misteps aside, the Prequels had actual character and soul. You could see them sand say "yes, that's Prequel Era Star Wars". Now everything's just the same streamlined stuff. Watch the trailer for Apple's Foundation and tell me that this and Dune don't give you the same feel:

This was the trailer for Blade Runner 2049:

I liked the original teaser for 2049, but this trailer felt very generic for two reasons: it fell prey to the "trailerisms" of the current era and Villeneuve didn't want to give very much away. As a result, I wasn't very excited and went into the theater hoping it would be merely above average. Minutes after the opening text, I knew I was in for one of my favorite film experiences ever.

I wouldn't judge a film -- especially a Villeneuve sci-fi -- based on the trailer. The houses that prepare these promotional materials have to cast as wide a net as possible, so you wind up with an ad that feels generic in tone and editing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doubling down on this after 2049's disappointing box office. The PG-13 rating also indicates the studio's wanting a massive payday.

If your problems are with the designs of the outfits, I'll admit there isn't much hope at this point. But if the tone, writing (including dialogue clips), editing, or sound are your concern, a trailer is not a good indicator of what you'll get.

Hell, they may very well use the word "jihad" in the actual film (but probably not.. but maybe) and just didn't want to include it in the trailer in case bloggers would torch the film before it even releases.

Sure, trailers are often better/worse than the movie itself. But we still have to discuss what we have. I actually liked the trailer on its own, it's what I see that I have problems with and those won't change. I doubt Leto's going to stroll around with some Napoleonic or GrecoRoman or Victorian Garb or whatever. The aesthetic is Brutalism and that's a minus point for me.

Behind The Dunes is one Dune adaptation I can get behind...

6uoo8PhrdPM1oof7hh6fV7kdoo7_GhvxgILjZzr-v95tv8nqtJ0ypxqRYsqg0Gy9ODeGlHNmBpa4EvAFxmk2jdKyTd  8CyDcMfWUUX9mSrVUKo7296MTcXelFSgINRKsbHfrt_DfxtPAb  BpF_0X8eRYEX6CPGp2TZeaTqHlT0xaAOgihWZgfh1HTT

People rage on Lucas a lot, but if one thing's for certain is that he did try to make a proper Space Opera. The costumes, the "sets", the atmosphere, it was all very theatrical. Misteps aside, the Prequels had actual character and soul.

Too bad they're borderline unwatchable. The soul stops at the edge of the paper on which the designs were drawn. And I especially have to disagree on the atmosphere, as many of the environments were not only completely CG, but were so poorly shaded that the characters felt like they existed on a different plane.

I'm with you in that I'd like to see a proper space opera with grandiose set and costume design. I even prefer some of the aesthetic choices made in Lynch's version because they're so unique. But a cohesive, resonant, well-shot film is the bottom line.

Good thing I'm also a fan of brutalism. Whichever of these aesthetics Villeneuve chose, I'd have been happy.

Last edited:
Lady Jessica would have big problems getting into a stillsuit...
Just say "thank God we invented the whatever device" and problem solved... Comic Book Physics would mean tig bitties in a skintight stillsuit.

Too bad they're borderline unwatchable. The soul stops at the edge of the paper on which the designs were drawn. And I especially have to disagree on the atmosphere, as many of the environments were not only completely CG, but were so poorly shaded that the characters felt like they existed on a different plane.
All valid points, but I still have to give Lucas props for trying. RotS is the best of the bunch and a legitimately good movie for its genre.

I'm with you in that I'd like to see a proper space opera with grandiose set and costume design. I even prefer some of the aesthetic choices made in Lynch's version because they're so unique. But a cohesive, resonant, well-shot film is the bottom line.

Good thing I'm also a fan of brutalism. Whichever of these aesthetics Villeneuve chose, I'd have been happy.
Brutalism is boring at this point for me. At least go with something like Art Deco or Art Nouveaou or something. Art Deco is underappreciated, dammit.

1.jpg

I'm not familiar with the novel or the story, so I'm the demographic this film has to appeal to if they want a hit. This is what I got from the trailer. The young Tim Burton guy is royalty and the son of a powerful man/king. The king wants to conquer a desert planet, but the natives will fight back.The young Tim Burton has the power to see the future when he sleeps and he sees a young woman and he likes her. When he and his father go to conquer desert planet, he sees the woman from his dream and he helps her and her people against his father's approval. Oh, and the planet has a giant worm problem. As a layman, that's all I got from the trailer.

[...]

This is what I want. Intricate clothing. Distinct culture and architecture. Identity.[...]

I think LOTR did that very well. What I'm seeing in the picture above...a matter of personal taste, but it looks generic to me. Over-designed, organic Giger-Lite.

Where we agree is that Lynch did a good job, although it's been years since I've seen it. I would also dig an Art Deco influence.

Trailer looks excellent!
Everyone has their own opinion on what the Dune aesthetic should be but ultimately the filmmaker gets to decide.
The last Adaptation of Dune was released 36 years ago so the good news is the folks who are not happy with this vision have 36 years to become successful filmmakers and then they can convince some studio that it is time for their more napoleonic and less brutalist version of Dune.
Until then I am quite pleased with what I have seen so far of Villeneuve?s take on this material!

I like what I see from the trailer. I am tempering my expectations, but this could be good.

I wonder if aesthetic is a bit more muted after John Carter floped. The trailer could have purposely muted colors slightly to make the trailer more generic as well.

I don't mind minimalist design....if the story and writing is good, that is what is most important to me. I don't want over designed costumes, but be bored with what they did with the story.

I'm going out on a limb and saying this will be better than the whole ST.

Despite the fact it will be slow as molasses and 3 hours long AND an unfinished 1st half.

Back