Dune 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't Chapterhouse end on quite a big cliffhanger ? I'd want to finish the saga with the other 2 which are "based on Frank's notes", then not bother with the rest. I'm thinking of buying that '19 edition with the kewl piktchures and then see where it takes me. Honestly, the biggest problem is time. So many things to read, so many things you must do, so little time.

Yeah, Chapterhouse ends on a big cliffhanger, but I'd rather stay there than read sub-par novels. The prequels were really poorly written.
Maybe I'll look up what happens in the Dune wiki...

Frank's Son Brian and former Star Wars book writer Kevin J. Anderson teamed up to write a whole ton of other Dune Prequels, Interquels, and Sequels.

If you're a Dune fan and have the time (especially during quarantine), the books are "OK"...some series better than the others. But as abake mentioned, they are nearly NOT as well-written and detailed as Frank's novels.

-"The Butlerian Jihan" prequel trilogy is probably the best of the Herbert/Anderson novels. It outlines the origins of the Dune galaxy and a lot of the Houses...including the Harkonenn/Atreides rivalry, the "spark" and war for the destruction of the Thinking Machines, and the origins of a lot of the other entities such as the Bene Gesserit, Swordmasters of Ginaz, Mentats, Fremen, The Guild (and Navigators), etc. Some of the concepts are interesting and the origins for the different elements play out in these books.

-"Prelude to Dune" follows many of the characters leading up to the first "Dune" book. It follows Leto in his younger days, even details him meeting Jessica and why she eventually chose to bear him a son. You also follow the origin of Duncan Idaho and how he ends up with House Atreides and why he's so loyal to them. It also follows Vladimir Harkonnen and how he rises as the Baron and his various manipulations. I think it finalizes with House Corrino and how Shadam IV becomes Emperor.

-There were some other ones like "Paul of Dune" and I think some further House origin books but I didn't read those.

-The Herbert/Anderson "Dune sequels" are "Hunters of Dune" (Book 6) and "Sandworms of Dune" (Book 7). These basically read like Dune fanfics and are nowhere near the caliber of Frank's series. They take some key elements from Herbert's/Anderson's prequel series (I won't spoil what) and slap them in here. It's basically a "let's get the band back together to kill the ultimate bad guys" plot. You're better off leaving the high on Chapterhouse and ignoring these or reading what happens on wiki...the writing is probably just as good if not better on the wikipedia page anyways. :lol

Yeah, Chapterhouse ends on a big cliffhanger, but I'd rather stay there than read sub-par novels. The prequels were really poorly written.
Maybe I'll look up what happens in the Dune wiki...
Dunno, I don't much like cliffhangers. Open Endings I can do, but cliffhangers rub me the wrong way. I'd probably finish it even if the writing was on par with shipping fanfics...

Frank's Son Brian and former Star Wars book writer Kevin J. Anderson teamed up to write a whole ton of other Dune Prequels, Interquels, and Sequels.

If you're a Dune fan and have the time (especially during quarantine), the books are "OK"...some series better than the others. But as abake mentioned, they are nearly NOT as well-written and detailed as Frank's novels.

-"The Butlerian Jihan" prequel trilogy is probably the best of the Herbert/Anderson novels. It outlines the origins of the Dune galaxy and a lot of the Houses...including the Harkonenn/Atreides rivalry, the "spark" and war for the destruction of the Thinking Machines, and the origins of a lot of the other entities such as the Bene Gesserit, Swordmasters of Ginaz, Mentats, Fremen, The Guild (and Navigators), etc. Some of the concepts are interesting and the origins for the different elements play out in these books.

-"Prelude to Dune" follows many of the characters leading up to the first "Dune" book. It follows Leto in his younger days, even details him meeting Jessica and why she eventually chose to bear him a son. You also follow the origin of Duncan Idaho and how he ends up with House Atreides and why he's so loyal to them. It also follows Vladimir Harkonnen and how he rises as the Baron and his various manipulations. I think it finalizes with House Corrino and how Shadam IV becomes Emperor.

-There were some other ones like "Paul of Dune" and I think some further House origin books but I didn't read those.

-The Herbert/Anderson "Dune sequels" are "Hunters of Dune" (Book 6) and "Sandworms of Dune" (Book 7). These basically read like Dune fanfics and are nowhere near the caliber of Frank's series. They take some key elements from Herbert's/Anderson's prequel series (I won't spoil what) and slap them in here. It's basically a "let's get the band back together to kill the ultimate bad guys" plot. You're better off leaving the high on Chapterhouse and ignoring these or reading what happens on wiki...the writing is probably just as good if not better on the wikipedia page anyways. :lol

The Prequels sound interesting enough, but those Sequels scream Star Wars: Sequel Trilogy. I suppose I'll get through the main books, with the son's two "finishing" ones, then take a look at the Prequels and see if they hold up, but completely disregard the rest. There's no time now, however, too much work. I figure around the Summer I'll order them all and binge them instead of breaking them up now.

Thanks for the tips !

That I can remember, I read up to God Emperor. I feel like I should have read Heretics of Dune but I doubt it.

The first novel is the best one IMO, and works very, very well as a stand-alone story.

Years ago I used to read everything, and kept hundreds of books. After moving a few times I gave away or sold all my books, and keep very little now. References, art, or books that are all-time favourites. I have 'Dune' on the shelf and may even re-read it, but have no interest left in the rest.

All of them have interesting ideas although I think Dune Messiah was the weakest one I read -- it's just that none of them seems to have the richness or punch of the original.

I tried reading the prequels, but the quality just wasn?t there. Apparently the sequels aren?t that great either.

I?d recommend sticking to the original 6:
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Yeah, I didn't really like Messiah or Children, maybe I should give them another chance one of these days... God Emperor and Chapterhouse are really good though. Heretics is pretty good too. I guess I didn't like it very much at first because I didn't quite get the time jump, so I was kinda lost for most of the book... :lol

That I can remember, I read up to God Emperor. I feel like I should have read Heretics of Dune but I doubt it.

The first novel is the best one IMO, and works very, very well as a stand-alone story.
I read/heard just Dune, put the rest off to get a better experience, and, well, here we are. They all require so much time, and considering they're just fiction, it's hard to put them at the top of the list. I suppose when you're one of those people who consume only one thing, you can do it. Meaning those that consume only Sci-Fi, the ones who consume only Horror, and so on and so forth, across all genres. Or the people who watch the movies that only actor X or actress Y make. It simplifies things, but I doubt most of us can do it. I've come across folks who've watched all the Star Trek shows in their entirety, then rewatched say, TNG, but have still not seen Sopranos or Mad Men, and feel no need to do so. In a way, being a superfan of Z thing does make things easier.

Years ago I used to read everything, and kept hundreds of books. After moving a few times I gave away or sold all my books, and keep very little now. References, art, or books that are all-time favourites. I have 'Dune' on the shelf and may even re-read it, but have no interest left in the rest.
Yeah, I can feel that. These days all I have are textbooks and related books.

Dunno, I don't much like cliffhangers. Open Endings I can do, but cliffhangers rub me the wrong way. I'd probably finish it even if the writing was on par with shipping fanfics...

The Prequels sound interesting enough, but those Sequels scream Star Wars: Sequel Trilogy. I suppose I'll get through the main books, with the son's two "finishing" ones, then take a look at the Prequels and see if they hold up, but completely disregard the rest. There's no time now, however, too much work. I figure around the Summer I'll order them all and binge them instead of breaking them up now.

Thanks for the tips !

Brian Herbert's "finishing" novels take two very key elements from the Butlerian Jihad prequel trilogy. I won't spoil that for you, but you might be like "WTF is this?" until you read the Jihad trilogy and get a better understanding.

I'd be interested in seeing or hearing about what's in Frank Herbert's notes to see what his real intent was with Book 7.

Last edited:
Brian Herbert's "finishing" novels take two very key elements from the Butlerian Jihad prequel trilogy. I won't spoil that for you, but you might be like "WTF is this?" until you read the Jihad trilogy and get a better understanding.

I'd be interested in seeing or hearing about what's in Frank Herbert's notes to see what his real intent was with Book 6.

...Oh. Shoot, this sounds like a pretty darn big commitment. I barely have time to watch a 40 minute episode at night these days, not to mention that I still haven't read classics like Ulysses or Crime & Punishment. Hell, I still haven't even finished my Kierkegaard. I'm a goddamn Pleb is what I am ! These things might have to be put on the backburner until I get my act together. Or I can just go the audiobook route; we'll see.

Thanks for all the tips and info thus far though; I appreciate it.

One thing to keep in mind is that Frank Herbert's "Dune" novels are essentially three different stories taking place in different time-periods and connected through the shared universe (and in some cases...characters). Duncan Idaho (and his gholas) is the only character to have been featured in EVERY Frank Herbert novel. Hence why his casting (Jason Momoa) was important because if the movie series continues...no doubt we'll be seeing more of Momoa. I like Momoa, he's a solid pick for the role as Idaho is a fierce Swordmaster (he kills 19 Saudukar alone in "DUNE" which absolutely stuns most of the characters as this is an unheard-of feat). I also think this gives him an opportunity to stretch his acting chops a little as well. He's mostly been type-cast in superhero-ish roles like Aquaman, Conan the Barbarian, etc. and Idaho is somewhat-similar..but Idaho also serves as a surrogate big brother/instructor to Paul as well.

Paul Muad'Dib Trilogy
-DUNE
-DUNE Messiah
-Children of DUNE

~Leto II establishes his rule and sets humanity on "The Golden Path"~

Leto II & the Golden Path
-God-Emperor of DUNE

~Scattering Occurs, fulfilling "The Golden Path"~

The End of Dune

-Heretics of DUNE
-Chapterhouse DUNE
-"Hunters of DUNE" (Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson)
-"Sandworms of DUNE" (Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson)

All of them have interesting ideas although I think Dune Messiah was the weakest one I read -- it's just that none of them seems to have the richness or punch of the original.

God Emperor is really good. My personal favorite outside of the original. As the reader, you feel the connection to Duncan Idaho as a "man out of time" who struggles with his loyalty to the Atreides but also seeing what Leto II has turned them into ("The Tyrant"). The interesting thing is that Leto II knows that everything is going to happen regardless due to his prescience.

There's also a wide expanse between the "Paul" trilogy to the "God Emperor" era and then on-ward to the "Heretics/Chapterhouse" era. Many story opportunities inbetween...such as how Leto II exerts his authority and eventually strips almost all power and abilities away from the Houses. And the fall-out "The Scattering" from the demise of the God-Emperor.

One thing to keep in mind is that Frank Herbert's "Dune" novels are essentially three different stories taking place in different time-periods and connected through the shared universe (and in some cases...characters). Duncan Idaho (and his gholas) is the only character to have been featured in EVERY Frank Herbert novel. Hence why his casting (Jason Momoa) was important because if the movie series continues...no doubt we'll be seeing more of Momoa. I like Momoa, he's a solid pick for the role as Idaho is a fierce Swordmaster (he kills 19 Saudukar alone in "DUNE" which absolutely stuns most of the characters as this is an unheard-of feat). I also think this gives him an opportunity to stretch his acting chops a little as well. He's mostly been type-cast in superhero-ish roles like Aquaman, Conan the Barbarian, etc. and Idaho is somewhat-similar..but Idaho also serves as a surrogate big brother/instructor to Paul as well.

I like Momoa enough, but the guy's acting is pretty limited. He's got at being a dudebro, but even as Conan he was bad. I've never watched Stargate though, so dunno, maybe he can pull it off. Not that I see them ever reaching stuff like God Emperor. Even Dune is being split into two films, and I don't think the GA will care enough to make this viable for going past that. The rumors are that they want this to be the new Star Wars, ad are preparing new comics, books, videogames, tv shows, and... I don't know.

Paul Muad'Dib Trilogy
-DUNE
-DUNE Messiah
-Children of DUNE

~Leto II establishes his rule and sets humanity on "The Golden Path"~

Leto II & the Golden Path
-God-Emperor of DUNE

~Scattering Occurs, fulfilling "The Golden Path"~

The End of Dune

-Heretics of DUNE
-Chapterhouse DUNE
-"Hunters of DUNE" (Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson)
-"Sandworms of DUNE" (Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson)
That's a hell of a cmmitment, I'll say that. Maybe I'll just listen to the audiobooks. Time's too limited these says. Heck, I've only just now gotten around to finishing The New Pope.

So much sand.

PFJiw27.gif

It's not DUNE anymore it's DUNC!

1598285965301.jpg

It still looks soulless and generic, and I still don't like Zendaya. But I liked the trailer well enough. I'll watch it (on my PC). I'd buy a Paul HT dolly.

Very impressive trailer. This is my favourite novel; I hope the film does it justice. So far it feels right.

Back