Dune 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never really sparked to classic Shatner Trek (despite having an obsessed roommate in college and therefore seeing a lot of snippets and part episodes) or anything later Trek (possibly because I worked on ST TNG for a short while during college) but Netflix got the whole series and I watched the first couple of eps and was surprised to quite like it. I even watched the pilot that didn't have Shatner.
I find TOS enjoyable because it's sincere. It's got a charm, a throwback from another era. There's chemistry between the cast, the writing's (mostly) sharp, it all comes together.

TNG is far better than TOS, but I still like TOS a lot. The sci-fi themes are above and beyond almost any other show....time travel, artificial intelligence...TNG takes TOS and improves on it with even better writing. But I understand you watched 10 minutes of a bad episode likely, so that is going to shade your opinion .
I watched the first 10 minutes of the Pilot. It was so blunt, so smug, so self-righteous that I just couldn't take it. If you pull the "aliens are advanced and super-peaceful and look down on humanity for having had wars" card, I'll instantly write you off. It's not intelligent commentary, it's a short-sighted and biased view of reality. I know, I know, Q is supposed to be a hypocrite. The takeaway from the scene remains the same. A commentary on humanity's "barabrous and senseless nature". It's why I can't take Trek in general seriously. It takes concepts and philosophies, twists them, makes them fit their POV and then smugly tells you how right it is. I never got into it, and I never will. I'll not pour all that time on it to see if I'm, at all, mistaken either. I just don't care.

I have a friend who has only saw the first half the Incredible Hulk movie with Edward Norton, and has never watched another MCU movie. I was like just watch Iron Man, but he won't do it, thinks all marvel makes crap movies. Man loves movies, but he makes me crazy having watched arguably the worst MCU movie and therefor skipping the rest.
He's not missing much, really. I like the Iron Man Trilogy well enough, and TWS. IW was nice too. Maybe GotG. But they're not necessary viewing. If the guy doesn't want to pour 50 hours or so into them, there's not much I can find fault with. And TIH is most certainly not the worst MCU flick. Captain Fungus was much worse. At the end of the day, Marvel makes flicks. They're not worth watching on any merit. They're designed for a night out before you hit the bar or for 12-15 YOs to have somewhere to go. He's not missing anything and I can understand his POV.

I watched the first 10 minutes of the Pilot. It was so blunt, so smug, so self-righteous that I just couldn't take it. If you pull the "aliens are advanced and super-peaceful and look down on humanity for having had wars" card, I'll instantly write you off. It's not intelligent commentary, it's a short-sighted and biased view of reality. I know, I know, Q is supposed to be a hypocrite. The takeaway from the scene remains the same. A commentary on humanity's "barabrous and senseless nature". It's why I can't take Trek in general seriously. It takes concepts and philosophies, twists them, makes them fit their POV and then smugly tells you how right it is. I never got into it, and I never will. I'll not pour all that time on it to see if I'm, at all, mistaken either. I just don't care.

Yeah, TNG moves away from those ideas you mention a bit. The first season was mostly written by the same writers from TOS, and it shows. Q in particular is basically a reworking on a few entities from TOS. But considering you are cemented to your opinion, I wont go farther.

Yeah, TNG moves away from those ideas you mention a bit. The first season was mostly written by the same writers from TOS, and it shows. Q in particular is basically a reworking on a few entities from TOS. But considering you are cemented to your opinion, I wont go farther.

Maybe it does, but I just don't have the luxury, of pouring that much time on things that aren't immediately "important", anymore. I know that the first few seasons were written by Roddenberry at his most 'Roddenberry", but, still... Thanks for the thought though.

TNG took off when Ronald Moore, Brannon Braga and Michael Piller were writing. Moore and Braga especially wrote insanely great scripts and went on to write Generations and First Contact. They also wrote the best series finale in TV history, All Good Things.

TNG took off when Ronald Moore, Brannon Braga and Michael Piller were writing. Moore and Braga especially wrote insanely great scripts and went on to write Generations and First Contact. They also wrote the best series finale in TV history, All Good Things.

Generations is pretty bad, with a weak plot, and a finale with a bunch of men far past their prime running around on rocks. First Contact is fine. It is very similar to JJ Abrams Star Trek, though with less planets exploding. But the action and plot feel a little generic and dumbing down (the Star Trek franchise at that point was pressing the Borg button as much as it could...see Voyager.)

Of course, action has and can work in a Star Trek movie, if done well or smartly. Wrath of Khan is a perfect example of it. Khan and Kirk are both trying to outsmart each other, each with ego's the size of their ships. There is something George Miller like in that.

Hard to think this is a dune thread lol

Anyway TNG is my favourite star trek, as stated above, once roddenberry was out of the picture the writers could truly shine. Hate to say it but TOS is painful for me to watch. Generations is okay but first contact was great. Is a shame that the rest of the films in the enterprise e were so bad as that is a sleek ship

It was the pure power of Riker's beard that singlehandedly elevated the show to unprecedented heights. :lecture

h3ftT6h.png

Back